Author Topic: Help installing old software  (Read 5335 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Help installing old software
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:49:10 pm »
Way back in the late 1990s when passport advantage was alive we got a CD from IBM with software for a client.  I installed it using the Netscape based interface and al was well up to the middle of this week when the computer running it was involved in a fire.

We have a replacement computer but I need to reinstall the software from the CD preferably without using the Netscape route.  I think there is a way of doing this and I may have done so with other software but I can't remember how.

Could someone please prompt my memory.

Lars

• View Profile
Re: Help installing old software
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:57:29 pm »
Part 1: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL1007H/feature_2.html
Part 2: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0708H/feature_2.html

I have successfully installed IBM VAC 3.65 and VAC 4.00 with these instructions without use of Netscape.

Lars
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 03:01:36 pm by Lars »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 03:28:16 pm »
To some extent, that is the reason I made Suntan Special, to commit the memory of how to do the command line installation of all the old OS/2 software. Suntan Special installs software using a custom Rexx program for each application. In some cases with the Feature Installer a custom response file is also included.

http://www.blondeguy.com/suntan6.html
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:40:05 pm »
Thanks guys.

Believe it or not there is a readme.cid file on the CD which appears to be a full response file so CID is the way we will go.

I will put a note in the file about this because if this new unit lasts for 19 years like the last one everyone will forget what to do again.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:19:47 pm »
Here are some notes I have written for myself for installation of VAC 3.6.5. I am sure that you can "translate" this info to your specific installation needs. The idea is to not only use the CID response file but also dynamically update the installation path(s). The drive and path variables "InstDrv1","InstDrv2","InstDir1","InstDir2" are specific to the base response file. You will need to find these variables for your specific product:

C.  Invoking installation directly through an installation object
    I have reworked and modified PORTAPAK.RSP (on your VAC 3.6.5 installation CD-ROM) so that it can also be used
    to create an installation object.
    You create an installation object via CLIFI.EXE (it is installed on every OS/2 machine) once you have burned a new
    CD-ROM from the original CD-ROM and these patches.

For what follows, assume this:
    a.) your CD-ROM is drive V:
    b.) you want VAC 3.6.5 installed to drive D: and directory IBMC365
    c.) you want the OS/2 toolkit installed to drive E: and directory TOOLKIT

echo /O:ROOT >parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDrv1=D: >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDrv2=E: >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDir1=IBMC365 >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDir2=TOOLKIT >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:PackagedFromPath=V:\COMPILER >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:ImageMediaPath=V:\COMPILER >>parms.txt
    echo /R:V:\COMPILER\PORTAPAK.RSP >>parms.txt
    echo /S:V:\COMPILER >>parms.txt

clifi.exe /A:B /F:"<WP_DESKTOP>" /PARMS:parms.txt

The installation object is created on your desktop. If you open it you can select/deselect the individual features to
    install. After installation you can either delete the object or keep it around somewhere if you want to install later on.
    During installation, you are asked to specify the "Source Media": just reenter the path: V:\COMPILER
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 08:21:21 pm by Lars »