Author Topic: PMView and image thumbnails in a Samba mapped network drive?  (Read 7163 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
PMView and image thumbnails in a Samba mapped network drive?
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:25:15 pm »
So this may be a silly question, perhaps (hoping) it has everything to do with the target devices' filesystem, but what is the key to successfully having PMView create the image "thumbnails" on a remote disk and being able to read-them off easily?

The problem I am experiencing is that my NAS device (ZyXel 325), whlie allowing me to store the images there simply will not allow me to create the image thumbnails. At first I thought this was a filesystem issue, but I tried this same process across a mount point on other home PCs which are: XP and Win7, both of them using NTFS. Now with the latest Samba client release which Paul did I made sure the extended attributes are enabled, which they were previously as well, and re-tried this whole process. Still no luck.

PMView insists that it is creating the thumbnail, but each time it reads the network device directory it re-creates them.

Is this a know behaviour???

Thanks!

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: PMView and image thumbnails in a Samba mapped network drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:16:40 pm »
So this may be a silly question, perhaps (hoping) it has everything to do with the target devices' filesystem, but what is the key to successfully having PMView create the image "thumbnails" on a remote disk and being able to read-them off easily?

The problem I am experiencing is that my NAS device (ZyXel 325), whlie allowing me to store the images there simply will not allow me to create the image thumbnails. At first I thought this was a filesystem issue, but I tried this same process across a mount point on other home PCs which are: XP and Win7, both of them using NTFS. Now with the latest Samba client release which Paul did I made sure the extended attributes are enabled, which they were previously as well, and re-tried this whole process. Still no luck.

PMView insists that it is creating the thumbnail, but each time it reads the network device directory it re-creates them.

Thanks!

You need Extended Attributes enabled in the NAS device.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:53:51 am »

The problem I am experiencing is that my NAS device (ZyXel 325), lie allowing me to store the images there simply will not allow me to create the image thumbnails. At first I thought this was a filesystem issue, but I tried this same process across a mount point on other home PCs which are: XP and Win7, both of them using NTFS. Now with the latest Samba client release which Paul did I made sure the extended attributes are enabled, which they were previously as well, and re-tried this whole process. Still no luck.

Thanks!

You need Extended Attributes enabled in the NAS device.

Doug is correct. In addition, the file system used on the NAS needs to support xattr. Many linux based NAS use ext4 as the file system, which afair only supports 4k extended attributes (or xattr as linux calls them).

Are you able to access a shell on the NAS? It's likely possible to add xattr support to the Mount line for the file system, and also modify smb.conf to enable Samba server ea  support.

Cheers,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 04:48:40 am »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for both the responses. The NAS device supports multiple filesystem types...but there is a difference between internal and external attached disks, here is the breakdown:

Internal file system: XFS (or EXT4)
External file system: FAT32, FAT16, EXT2, EXT3 and Reiser FS

Paul,
Yes, I can telnet to the NAS box. I will poked around to see if I can find that config file, here is what I found in the '/etc/samba' directory:

=== START ===

[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        server string ="NSA325"
        netbios name = NAS
        dos charset = UTF8
        display charset = UTF8
        unix charset = UTF8
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        guest account = pc-guest
        map to guest = Bad User
        write ok = yes
        force create mode = 777
        force directory mode = 777
        force security mode = 777
        force directory security mode = 777
        auth methods = guest sam_ignoredomain
        max log size = 50
        host msdfs = yes
        lanman auth = yes
        kernel oplocks = no
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=131072 SO_RCVBUF=1
        use mmap = yes
        max xmit = 131072
        min receivefile size = 128k
        unix extensions = no
        wide links = Yes
        oplocks = yes
        level2 oplocks = no
        max smbd processes = 128
        printing = cups
        printcap = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        use sendfile = yes
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        veto files = /.grive*/

[printers]
        path = /i-data/md0/.media/samba
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        browseable = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        use client driver = yes

[public]
        path = /i-data/md0/public
        guest ok = yes
        follow symlinks = yes
        strict allocate = yes
; NO Action-log or Recycle-Bin

[video]
        path = /i-data/md0/video
        guest ok = yes
        follow symlinks = yes
        strict allocate = yes

[photo]
        path = /i-data/md0/photo
        guest ok = yes
        follow symlinks = yes
        strict allocate = yes

[music]
        path = /i-data/md0/music
        guest ok = yes
        follow symlinks = yes
        strict allocate = yes

[admin]
        path = /i-data/md0/admin
        valid users = "admin"
        follow symlinks = yes
        strict allocate = yes
        vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = %S
        full_audit:success = unlink rmdir mkdir rename close
        full_audit:failure = none
        full_audit:priority = notice

[VOL1]
        path = /etc/zyxel/storage/sysvol/.system/autoshare_sata/VOL1
        valid users = "admin"
        follow symlinks = yes
        strict allocate = yes

=== STOP ===

...but I can not tell by what I see here whether the extended attributes are enabled.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 06:11:48 am »
Hi Dariusz,

Thanks for both the responses. The NAS device supports multiple filesystem types...but there is a difference between internal and external attached disks, here is the breakdown:

Internal file system: XFS (or EXT4)
External file system: FAT32, FAT16, EXT2, EXT3 and Reiser FS

Paul,
Yes, I can telnet to the NAS box. I will poked around to see if I can find that config file, here is what I found in the '/etc/samba' directory:

...but I can not tell by what I see here whether the extended attributes are enabled.

For ext4, you'll need to add "user_xattr" to the mount parameters in /etc/fstab, something like:
/dev/md0       /NAS    ext4    defaults,user_xattr     0       0

obvious the drive and mount location will be different for your share.

For xfs, this is unnecessary.

In smb.conf, in the [global] section, you need:
ea support = Yes

Hope this helps,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:23:37 pm »
Hi Dariusz,
For ext4, you'll need to add "user_xattr" to the mount parameters in /etc/fstab, something like:

ea support = Yes

Well, seemed like the change may do it...LOL, I did manage to actually modify the cm.conf file (needed to "su root" but was OK after that), however...upon a re-boot the changes I made, and that includes the cm.conf backup completely dissappeared from that location...which makes me think that maybe this stuff is actually 'copied' from somewhere else during boot and the actual working configuration is therefore stored somewhere else.

Not sure how else I could test it w/o the re-start of the NAS device though, I had assumed that the config changes would only be effective if I did that.

Good direction though, I will continue to investigate..may have to log a ticket with the ZyXel folks to see if I can get some more direct answers.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 10:30:41 pm »
Hi Dariusz,

Hi Dariusz,

ea support = Yes

Well, seemed like the change may do it...LOL, I did manage to actually modify the cm.conf file (needed to "su root" but was OK after that), however...upon a re-boot the changes I made, and that includes the cm.conf backup completely dissappeared from that location...which makes me think that maybe this stuff is actually 'copied' from somewhere else during boot and the actual working configuration is therefore stored somewhere else.

Not sure how else I could test it w/o the re-start of the NAS device though, I had assumed that the config changes would only be effective if I did that.

Good direction though, I will continue to investigate..may have to log a ticket with the ZyXel folks to see if I can get some more direct answers.

Take a look at http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/Zyxel_utils

In particular:
"Change Samba config file

hook_samba
By default the firmware samba uses /etc/samba/smb.conf, which is dynamically generated by the firmware. This means that any changes you do only last to the next reboot. This function will patch /etc/init.d/samba.sh to change /etc/samba/smb.conf in a symlink to /ffp/etc/samba/smb.conf before starting samba. When /ffp/etc/samba/smb.conf does not exist it will copy /etc/samba/smb.conf first. Unfortunately the firmware will not call this script when samba settings are changes in the webinterface. So you'll have to invoke
/etc/init.d/samba.sh restart
manually in that case."

Cheers,

Paul