Author Topic: XWorkplace - Change Restart Desktop setting?  (Read 10430 times)

Pete

• View Profile
XWorkplace - Change Restart Desktop setting?
« on: December 24, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »
Hi All

Is there any way of setting the XWorkplace Restart Desktop option of Process all XWorkplace Startup folders to default to Unchecked?

Reason: I *never* want to Process all XWorkplace Startup folders when performing a Desktop Restart as 1 of the XWorkplace Startup folders should only run after a Reboot.

Regards

Pete

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: XWorkplace - Change Restart Desktop setting?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 11:12:50 pm »
That's exactly what I've set since years: I have two XWP startup folders with different start behavior. On their first properties page, under the 'Startup' tab, there exist the setting:

Start folder content
   (o) Reboots only
   ( ) Every Desktop restart

BTW: To disable all XWP startup folders once, you can use the panic dialog. It opens by keeping Sh pressed while the WPS starts, AFAIR.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 02:00:04 am »
Hi Andreas

The setting I want to change to permanently Unchecked - making that the Default - is the "Process all XWorkplace folders" option that is displayed by the Restart Desktop window.

If I forget to uncheck that option the apps in the XWorkplace Startup Folder set to "Reboots only" get restarted during the Desktop Restart which is not desirable.

Regards

Pete

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 04:10:08 pm »
It is here unchecked by default.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:20:09 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:46:27 pm »
Hi Andreas

Exactly what I would prefer but still cannot find a setting to change to make it happen...

I am using XWorkplace 1.0.11

I have tried emailing the mailing lists in the readme but that turns out to be a waste of time as emails are rejected. The bug tracker accepts my login without complaint but does not have a "post a bug" link anywhere. Guess I'll have to give up on trying to contact the developer(s) about this.

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:51:44 am »
Is there any way of setting the XWorkplace Restart Desktop option of Process all XWorkplace Startup folders to default to Unchecked?

I'm rather puzzled by this.  The very first time I select "Restart Desktop" from the Desktop menu after a new install, the popup window has "Close all sessions" and "Process all XWP Startup folders" checked. I uncheck both and click OK to restart it. Thereafter, these two are permanently unchecked and I never have to deal with this again. If you don't click OK and let the restart happen, your changes won't be saved. Are you finding that it doesn't work as I've described?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 05:26:21 am »
Hi Rich

I am finding it does not work as you describe. After a Desktop Restart with Process all XWorkplace Startup folders Unchecked the next time that I use Restart Desktop the Process all XWorkplace Startup folders option is Checked.

Is this a case of the setting is set as a Default on first use? ie If I have it Checked on the first Restart that becomes the Default?

I'm a bit confused by a bit of your post as if I do not click OK in the Desktop Restart dialog no Restart happens which is the behaviour I would expect.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 03:32:07 pm »
Hi Pete,

If you don't click OK and let the restart happen, your changes won't be saved.

Maybe that sentence could be written 'If you don't click OK (and let the restart happen), your changes won't be saved.' which is to be expected.

I have just tested that on the workstation I'm using and it works as Rich says.  In fact I think I will go round all our computers and make that the default setting.

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 08:22:18 pm »
I am finding it does not work as you describe. After a Desktop Restart with Process all XWorkplace Startup folders Unchecked the next time that I use Restart Desktop the Process all XWorkplace Startup folders option is Checked.

I restarted my Desktop multiple times and confirmed what you report. I then looked at the code and found that the "Process all XWP Startup folders" setting is *not* something that gets saved - only "Close all sessions" is saved. If "Close all sessions" is on in the stored settings, both options get checked - if it's off, both are unchecked. It looks like it has always been this way.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:51 am »
The fact that all I had checked was 'show this message next time' must have been the reason the other options remained unchecked (we have some monitoring applications that we don't shut down when we restart the desktop because they would lose sync if they shutdown).

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 09:17:12 pm »
Hi Rich

I restarted my Desktop multiple times and confirmed what you report. I then looked at the code and found that the "Process all XWP Startup folders" setting is *not* something that gets saved - only "Close all sessions" is saved. If "Close all sessions" is on in the stored settings, both options get checked - if it's off, both are unchecked. It looks like it has always been this way.

Should I report that as a bug - and where?

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 03:58:39 am »
the "Process all XWP Startup folders" setting is *not* something that gets saved - only "Close all sessions" is saved. If "Close all sessions" is on in the stored settings, both options get checked - if it's off, both are unchecked. It looks like it has always been this way.

Should I report that as a bug - and where?

It's not a bug, per se, it's a design deficiency. You can file a request for enhancement at xtracker.netlabs.org if you wish, but setting "reboot only" on your XStartup folders would be __vastly__ faster (on the order of months or years faster).

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:08 am »
Hi Rich

Hmmm....  xtracker.netlabs.org does seem to like me.

I cannot login with my previous username/password and I cannot create a new account as filling in required details and clicking Submit profile results in

"Error
You have not filled out all required input fields. Hit the “Back” button on your browser and try again."

I guess that is 1 way to avoid bug reports/enhancement requests   ;-)

In the meantime I have followed your advice and set the folder to Reboots only.

Regards

Pete