Author Topic: XWP (xWorkplace) v1.0.11 - filename change behaviour...  (Read 8603 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
XWP (xWorkplace) v1.0.11 - filename change behaviour...
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:48:52 pm »
I discovered two separate behaviours in the most recent GA drop of XWP 1.0.11, which are different from the previous versions:

1) In the new folder 'Details' view one can no longer change a name of an object by double-cliking with the RMB. That function however remains as-is in all other views, therefore, working correctly.

2) The multiple-desktop (virtual) behaviour when XWP is combined with the SkyScrapper app no longer brings focus back to the Firefox windows. I previously thought this was a side-effect of another test release, but as it turns out this appears to be inherent to how the underlying XWP deals with focus changes. I am going to try to retire SkyScrapper up in haviour of the XWP's built-in virtual desktops functionality, so maybe that'll address the issue.

I'm more curious of anyone is seeing the same behaviour I am on #1 above?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas & Happy Holiday's to all!
-Dariusz

ivan

• View Profile
Re: XWP (xWorkplace) v1.0.11 - filename change behaviour...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:12:29 pm »
SkyScrapper app ???????????????

What is it?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 11:02:41 pm »
1) In the new folder 'Details' view one can no longer change a name of an object by double-cliking with the RMB. That function however remains as-is in all other views, therefore, working correctly.

I have never seen this anywhere. Alt-LMB allows changing an object name.

Are you sure that you aren't mixing extenders, and they are interfering with each other?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 02:26:18 am »
Hi

I also didn't know what SkyScrapper app was.

Dariusz if you can share some screenshots for the OS2World Wiki I will apreciate it.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/SkyScrapper

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 06:02:10 am »
Hi Doug,

I have never seen this anywhere. Alt-LMB allows changing an object name.

Are you sure that you aren't mixing extenders, and they are interfering with each other?

Well, you had me thinking this through, since it's been quite a while that I've been running this particular configuration. So I did go through all my stuff and X-it is really the only other add-on. However, looking through the system setups I found this in my MOUSE object, specifically the 'Mappings' tab, see attached screenshot.

I do use the IBM ScrollPoint Pro mouse here, and as best as I can remember I have always used the IBM mouse drivers. Also attached a screenshot of the driver info, meanwhile here is the bldlevel output:

[G:\os2\boot]bldlevel mouse.sys
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#IBM:10.152#@  OS/2 Mouse Device Driver
Vendor:          IBM
Revision:        10.152
File Version:    10.152
Description:     OS/2 Mouse Device Driver

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 06:07:33 am »
Martin and Ivan,

Hi

I also didn't know what SkyScrapper app was.

Dariusz if you can share some screenshots for the OS2World Wiki I will apreciate it.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/SkyScrapper

Regards

This is an app I've been using for ages...well, at least it seems that way...quite some time actually. I absolutely love it...very flexible, and really plays well with apps that sometime missbehave, such as Firefox. So I typically run multiple FF windows across many virtual desktops...if the app goes down, SkyScrapper will recover the windows upon app re-start to exactly the places I had originally had them positioned prior to the app going down. That usually saves me the little bit of time to re-position everything into the "right" locations..LOL...I run my OS/2 box full-time, so it literally never shuts down unless I am making a config adjustment or the WPS locks-up.

I've attached some screenshots of the app, currently using v1.10.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 07:25:58 am »
Well, you had me thinking this through, since it's been quite a while that I've been running this particular configuration. So I did go through all my stuff and X-it is really the only other add-on. However, looking through the system setups I found this in my MOUSE object, specifically the 'Mappings' tab, see attached screenshot.

Well, that explains the double click with the RMB. I don't think that is unique to the mouse driver that you use. AMouse also has that setting.

I guess the next step is to make a problem report for XWP, and see where that takes you.

I think this problem goes back before the current XWP version though. I am using an older XWP "unofficial" version, and it seems to nave the same problem.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 03:33:24 am »
I discovered two separate behaviours in the most recent GA drop of XWP 1.0.11, which are different from the previous versions:

Like others who responded, it would never have occurred to me to change that setting, so I tried it. I found that it works in both Icon and Tree views, whether "classic" or Xview but doesn't work in *any* Details view at all.  This is something that XWP never touches (AFAICT) so I assume that's just the way IBM designed it. If you can confirm that it _does_ work for you in standard Details view, I'll uninstall XWP and retest on an un-enhanced system.

2) The multiple-desktop (virtual) behaviour when XWP is combined with the SkyScrapper app no longer brings focus back to the Firefox windows. I previously thought this was a side-effect of another test release, but as it turns out this appears to be inherent to how the underlying XWP deals with focus changes. I am going to try to retire SkyScrapper up in haviour of the XWP's built-in virtual desktops functionality, so maybe that'll address the issue.

I never touched XPager nor did I mess with anything to do with setting focus. You may want to review your XPager settings to see if something got changed inadvertently.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 06:17:21 pm »
Hi Rich,

Like others who responded, it would never have occurred to me to change that setting, so I tried it. I found that it works in both Icon and Tree views, whether "classic" or Xview but doesn't work in *any* Details view at all.  This is something that XWP never touches (AFAICT) so I assume that's just the way IBM designed it. If you can confirm that it _does_ work for you in standard Details view, I'll uninstall XWP and retest on an un-enhanced system.

You are right, this does not work in any 'Details' view...I know in the previous XWP release I only used the Tree view and rarely the Details view, so most likely I never encountered that situation. Here I switched from my previous usage of Tree view to the new XView=>Details which is why I immediately noticed this.

As you pointed out this is probably how IBM had originally implemented this, although from the user-interface perspective I think that behaviour is inconsistent, given that it works as intended in both Icon and Tree views. But...back to the XWP scope of things, is this something that would be feasible to address in the XWP logic? I have very little understanding of the XWP design, but does it come down to XWP having the ability to intercept the RMB double-click and routing that message appropriately, in this case perhaps "forcing" the otherwise consistent behaviour that we see in Icon & Tree views?

...I never touched XPager nor did I mess with anything to do with setting focus. You may want to review your XPager settings to see if something got changed inadvertently.

Oh, my post was not about XPager not working correctly or behaving in a strange way. Instead, the SkyScrapper app was now showing the un-desirable behaviour. I have yet to try to deploy the XPager to see it's full functionality. Hopefully within the next few days (given the Holiday timing) I can do this.