Public Discussions > General Discussion

Hobbes directory structure re-organization

<< < (3/4) > >>

Ian Manners:
Hi Doug,

--- Quote ---Could I suggest changing that to an RSYNC copy operation? I used DSync for a while, and it worked well, but RSync does just as well, and it is a LOT faster, mostly because it doesn't just copy the files. It does a smart copy, which reduces the amount of data to be handled (after the first time, of course). Currently I am handling about 10 times the amount of data, in half the time that DSync required. I use it for my nightly backups to my USB drive, as well as to my home built NAS box (eCS 2.1) across my Gbit network. If you do something through the internet, it can also ZIP data for transmission, if that helps (it depends on the speed of the link).
--- End quote ---

I kept getting the odd error message with RSync so stayed with DSync (A few years since I tried it). One day I'll change, just not on my high priority list at present, and its only used locally so it's quick enough.
The Melbourne server does a simply wget -m operation on the data drive only, so Rsync isnt likely to make much difference data transfer wise as it's copying new, not altered files apart from the odd description and index.html file.

Now back to hobbes :)

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Ian

I updated the proposed structure based on something I was able to see on OS2Site.com/sw.

Let's keep discussing it.

Martin Iturbide:
I was wondering, can we dare to write a "Hobbes File Naming Suggestion" document?

For example:

You can name the file after your product and indicate the version of it:

Ex: For an application named "Warpinator" release 1.5 you can name the file "Warpinator_1-5.zip"

Ex: What not to do. Do not refer your file as "latest" like "Warpinator_latest.zip"

It is a suggestion, it will not be written on stone of course.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on June 15, 2013, 05:25:04 pm ---I was wondering, can we dare to write a "Hobbes File Naming Suggestion" document?

For example:

You can name the file after your product and indicate the version of it:

Ex: For an application named "Warpinator" release 1.5 you can name the file "Warpinator_1-5.zip"

Ex: What not to do. Do not refer your file as "latest" like "Warpinator_latest.zip"

It is a suggestion, it will not be written on stone of course.

--- End quote ---

It seems that there are certain file extensions that are acceptable, for uploads, and others that are not. This is a good thing, but some users don't seem to know what is acceptable.

For instance, a number of packages are built as WarpIN installers, which are then zipped. This is completely redundant, and often (if not always) results in a larger file for upload/download, plus the user needs to take the extra step to unzip the files. Files with the extension WPI are acceptable to HOBBES, and should be used. I have never tried it, but I believe that EXE files are also acceptable, for self extracting files (but that should be verified).

It also seems that HOBBES prefers (sometimes demands, depending on the maintainer at the time), that file names should always be lower case. OS2/eCS users often forget about that, as you did in your first example. It would be good, if HOBBES would ignore the case of the file names, but that is up to them, not us (won't hurt to ask).

I am sure that there are many more things that should be addressed, while you are at it. As I have said before, most of the "problems" with HOBBES are caused by the users. A comprehensive user guide might be more useful than reorganizing the whole thing.

Martin Iturbide:
I just remember that there are some EXE that I don't consider acceptable anymore. There used to be some IBM's EXEs that unpacked the files into a diskette drive, on these days where we don't longer have diskette drives and those EXE are unpractical. I remember that I found some sound drivers with that EXE installer and I re-pack them as .zip and upload them to hobbes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version