OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

FF 38.x - problems invoking from within PMMail

(1/4) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
I recently moved (full-time) from FF17.x to FF38.x, so far it actually seems to have made my OS/2 machine more stable...I suspect that is partly due to the fact that I had moved to YUM/RPM and little by little have managed to move to the recent versions of DLLs (consistently, across many apps).

Anyways, I am using an older version of PMMail (2.00.1500) and whereas opening up any email in FF 17.x was never a problem, with FF 38.x I now consistently get an error message:

"...Firefox can't find the file at /G://APPS//TCPIP//PMMAIL//PMMAIL//TEMP//TEMP.HTM..."

My PMMail parameters are set as:
1) call FF 38.x => G:\apps\tcpip\firefox\firefox.exe
2) pass it the URL as a parameter => %s

In comparison, if there is a URL listed in the email body itself, highlighting it and openning FF still works fine...

Therefore, this begs the question: has the opening of a file changed with FF 38.x, because the TEMP.HTM file is certainly present in the location passed to FF?

Pete:
Hi Dariusz

Not being a firefox user I don't have these problems...

The firefox message url looks wrong. I would expect the url to look like

file:///G:/APPS//TCPIP/PMMAIL/PMMAIL/TEMP/TEMP.HTM

That could explain why firefox cannot find the file.

Regards

Pete

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Pete,

--- Quote from: Pete on January 10, 2017, 03:15:08 pm ---...The firefox message url looks wrong. I would expect the url to look like

That could explain why firefox cannot find the file...

--- End quote ---

Hmm...great point, while the copy of the copy of the error message itself is what I had actually shown in my post, the actual URL that's being issued by PMMail (or at least what FF attempts to load since that is what it shows in the URL bar) is:

file:///G://APPS//TCPIP//PMMAIL//PMMAIL//TEMP//TEMP.HTM

where as what you show (and it does work successfully here when invoked directly in FF):

So working through this I find that the only difference is the '//' vs '/' right after the 'G:' drive letter. The remaining directory separators can be either a single or double forward-slash (at least here in my testing either one works fine).

I will log a BUG for the FF team as FF17.x was working fine here (no need, see below info...).

EDIT => there currently exist two open Bugs (but one is a duplicate of the other):

1) Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 command line parsing error #176 (https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/176)
2) Problems with import messages from PM Mail3 #182 (https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/182)

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---"...Firefox can't find the file at /G://APPS//TCPIP//PMMAIL//PMMAIL//TEMP//TEMP.HTM..."
--- End quote ---

Actually, that is a bug in PMMail, that never showed up until FF 38.8.0 arrived (apparently, the command line parsing has changed in Firefox). PMMail 3.22 (and later) has a fix for it. If you still use older PMMail versions, you probably need to make an intermediate program to change the double slashes to single slashes (of the appropriate type), before passing the command to Firefox.

Alex Taylor:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on January 10, 2017, 07:37:32 pm ---
--- Quote ---"...Firefox can't find the file at /G://APPS//TCPIP//PMMAIL//PMMAIL//TEMP//TEMP.HTM..."
--- End quote ---

Actually, that is a bug in PMMail, that never showed up until FF 38.8.0 arrived (apparently, the command line parsing has changed in Firefox). PMMail 3.22 (and later) has a fix for it. If you still use older PMMail versions, you probably need to make an intermediate program to change the double slashes to single slashes (of the appropriate type), before passing the command to Firefox.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't only affect PMMail.  It affects URL objects pointing to local files as well.  The first ticket quoted above suggests it's a command-line parsing problem in this particular Firefox beta.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version