OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

FF 38.x - problems invoking from within PMMail

<< < (2/4) > >>

Neil Waldhauer:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on January 10, 2017, 07:37:32 pm ---
--- Quote ---"...Firefox can't find the file at /G://APPS//TCPIP//PMMAIL//PMMAIL//TEMP//TEMP.HTM..."
--- End quote ---

Actually, that is a bug in PMMail, that never showed up until FF 38.8.0 arrived (apparently, the command line parsing has changed in Firefox). PMMail 3.22 (and later) has a fix for it. If you still use older PMMail versions, you probably need to make an intermediate program to change the double slashes to single slashes (of the appropriate type), before passing the command to Firefox.

--- End quote ---

This is true, and helpful. However, the original poster was using PMMail/2 version 2.00.1500. While I recommend the latest version of PMMail, it's really hard for me to criticize people for keeping old software when I'm running OS/2.

Doug Bissett:
PMMail was (always) creating a wrong command line (double forward slashes, when they should be single forward slashes). Firefox finally fixed their command line parsing, which showed the problem in PMMail. It may also cause problems for other programs, if they do the same thing.

Dave Yeo:
The problem is the way that libc handles the command line, trying to be more unixy. Problems with PMMail started IIRC with Firefox 10ESR when we moved to libc065. Programs such as Firefox, built against libc, aren't really supported if they try to parse the command line on their own, eg at the time (and perhaps still), Firefox used DosGetInfoBlocks and pid_pchcmd to get the command line and things started breaking. (I worked around it at the time by changing the libc signature so libc thought that FF was built with libc063)
Not sure what if any fixes Bitwise has done in this respect but it is kinda crappy that using the OS/2 API rather then the libc API breaks things

ivan:

--- Quote ---trying to be more unixy.
--- End quote ---
and

--- Quote ---it is kinda crappy that using the OS/2 API rather then the libc API breaks things
--- End quote ---

This is something that I don't understand - we are using OS/2 NOT unix so why try and make it like unix?

At the moment I don't see any real advantage doing that.  We are ending up in DLL hell where older ports no longer work because one, or more, DLLs have been changed.

xynixme:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on January 10, 2017, 01:36:25 pm ---"...Firefox can't find the file at /G://APPS//TCPIP//PMMAIL//PMMAIL//TEMP//TEMP.HTM..."
--- End quote ---

My hardly ever used copy of an old PMMail/2 is installed just because it's registered, and the registration isn't valid anymore for any newer version. Fair enough. But I'm not actually using PMMail/2.

I'm not sure about the first character (/G:), but you may be able to copy PMMAIL.EXE to a test file  PMMAILFF.EXE, and patch PMMAILFF.EXE's pair of slashes to ^\ (or ^/). The number of possibly relevant //s in my copy of PMMAIL.EXE is limited, and IIRC there's only one /// there. So you may be able to construct some working command. I have only verified such a concept with CMD.EXE interpreting the ^\ (DIR C:^\OS2), without PMMail/2 and FF, and I'm assuming that PMMail/2 is inserting the //.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version