Author Topic: OS/2 Books Fans?  (Read 18524 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
OS/2 Books Fans?
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:24 pm »
Hi

I was updating the list of OS/2 development related book on the EDM/2 wiki:
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/List_of_OS/2_Software_Development_Related_Books

I found it very useful to use the OpenLibrary.org as the main site of each book. On the OpenLibrary it is possible for everybody to register and include more information of the book, like cover, links, editions, table of contents and/or a description.

So, if you have any favorite OS/2 books, check them out on OpenLibrary.org and feel free to include any information that you found that is missing.  You can even create different public lists of favorite OS/2 books.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:13:58 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Books Fans?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:15:19 pm »
Thank you for keeping up with this and all the other stuff on EDM/2 Martin.
Also just a reminder to all the other users, it's easy to log into EDM/2 and add content or fix errors, add corrections etc.

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:40:32 am »
Also just a reminder to all the other users, it's easy to log into EDM/2 and add content or fix errors, add corrections etc.

To log into EDM/2, yes. I don't have (nor really want) a Netlabs account, so I have to say that a required account is a threshold. For example, I could append quite a few compiler and/or toolkit books to the list of books w.r.t. OS/2 and programming, with an IBM part number instead of an ISBN, to perfect the library's collection of known physical books, or I could fix some false or outdated statement, but so far an account has always stopped me from contributing anything. Of course I do understand that contributions of random visitors have to be checked by editors.

It actually looks like EDM/2 lists less than 50% of all existing books, including this list of old ones: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/os2-history/os2-library/os2-1-x-programming/. Programmers may recognize the titles of INF files.

Apparently this website offers the books as PDF files, like this one: http://www.os2museum.com/files/docs/os213pti/85F1529_OS2_V1_2_V1_3_PTI_Presentation_Manager_Programming_Reference_Vols_1_and_2_Technical_Upgrade.pdf
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:50:23 am by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »
Hi. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm trying to shape the structure of the EDM/2 list of Documentation.
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/List_of_OS/2_Documentation

There I have links to the OS/2 1.x and 2.x Toolkit books of the OS2Museum. But I'm still not happy on how that page is organized. I'm trying to figure it out how will be the best way to display/sort the retail books, redbooks and technical manuals.

On the other hand, it seems that IBM Redbook deleted/moved some of the 90's PDFs and I'm also trying to find a current link for those PDFs.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

xynixme

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:25:04 pm »
Interesting, well-known and/or usefull books/reviews/articles/must-haves first? Technical books second (must-haves for experts)? Less important books and leaflets last (nice-to-have)?

That way the top shelf is relevant and attractive for most (new) programmers, there's a section for experts, and there's a section of books which are outdated by documentation fixpaks. The shelves may contain subsections, like Rexx or SOM. Or a subsection for all toolkit 1.x books. For readers it's not that relevant that Microsoft has published OS/2 books. Their Petzold's book/"bible" may be a top shelf book, while the Microsoft Programmer's References are less important. Their LAN Manager book could be a unique book fo experts. The average programmer may never need it, but it may be the only LAN Manager book.

I haven't check it, but ISTR that one of the "books" documents the options of ICC. So it's hardly more than the printed output of "ICC /?". An OS/2 museum should display it, but in the context of EDM/2 I'ld move such a book/leaflet to the lowest shelves. Its use is limited. Nice-to-have, but a link to the OS/2 museum will do.

You may need an extra section (or page), for one because I haven't tried to virtually move all books to new sections, and I don't know all books.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 02:07:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Based on some of André comments I think I will try to organize the books on a structure like this one:
- Retails Software Development Books (article)
- IBM Documentation
-- IBM OS/2 Development Manuals (article)
--- IBM OS/2 Device Driver Development Kit (latest version) (list of entries on same page)
--- IBM IBM OS/2 Toolkit Documentation (latest version) (list of entries on same page)
-- IBM OS/2 Development Related Redbooks (article)
-- OS/2 2.x Programming Documentation (Include Manuals and Redbooks) (article)
-- OS/2 1.x Programming Documentation (Include Manuals and Redbooks) (article)

I will like to try to make a "cut" between version 1.x, 2,.x and Warp.  So I will move the older redbooks of 2.x and 1.x to their "Programming Documentation Page". With that the latest (and current) documentation will get more focus.

I don't know if that is the way its going to be, but I will try a little bit to see what looks better.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:05:36 pm »
Hi Martin,

I will like to try to make a "cut" between version 1.x, 2,.x and Warp.  So I will move the older redbooks of 2.x and 1.x to their "Programming Documentation Page". With that the latest (and current) documentation will get more focus.

Yes, that makes sense. I would only go back to the older programming books if I could not find it in the later ones.
So the more recent work should be up the front.

edited for grammar :)O
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:35:25 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

ak120

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »
I'm hosting a small list of OS/2 related books for a couple of years here:
http://blog.warpserver.de/buecher/buecher-englisch/

and IBM Redbooks:
http://blog.warpserver.de/buecher/ibm-redbooks/

Also available there are lists of books in German or other languages.

In contrast to EDM/2 it's more accurate - not simply copy'n'paste with wrong information. I know some release dates of Wiley publications could be wrong. But thats for books which were already printed by VNR and only got a new sticker sometimes. I keep it simple - quite easy to drag it from Netscape to a database or textfile for usage.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 05:19:32 pm »
Hi

I had been trying to contact some of the book authors to see if some content can be republished.

I found out sadly that Kathy Ivens passed away on 2012 [link]. I contacted her daughter (Deborah) and she gave permission to republish her mother OS/2 content's with the condition that no money should be made and that the works are attributed to her.

I don't have her books and any help will be appreciated on this subject.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:48:53 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 11:00:56 pm »
Hi

Help is also welcome on the OpenLibrary. Everybody can register for free and help improve the information of each OS/2 book.

There are lot of OS/2 books under this category:
https://openlibrary.org/subjects/os2_(computer_file)  -fixed link

So if you have a hard to find OS/2 book you can help by including information about the book and taking a picture of the cover if it is missing. Just remember that the OpenLibrary is part of the Internet Archive a non-profit private library (not sponsored by any government) that his goal is to preserve knowledge, making it different from Amazon or Google Books.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:44:34 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 05:14:20 pm »
Hi

I got permission to republish "Object Rexx by Example" with the conditions "as long as it is complete and there are no changes or modifications made. "

The authors were not able to find the digital copy of the book. If someone have one, and/or want to scan it, and/or want to send it to me to scan it, and/or want to get it on Amazon "somewhere" for me to scan it, please let me know.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:00:17 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 09:36:03 pm »
Hi.

I need a hand obtaining this files to complete this page:
- ODPGGDE1.INF, ODPGGDE2.INF
- ODPGREF1.INF, ODPGREF2.INF
- ODUI.INF
- OSA1.INF, OSA2.INF
- PMEISTER.INF
- APIBAS.INF
- KDEBUG.INF  (is the content different from KDEBUG.DOC ?)

I will try to get permission and store them for good on the Internet Archive.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:15:30 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 08:46:56 am »
I have apibas,inf and kdebug.inf

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:22 pm »
There is an ex-library copy of the (excellent BTW) "Design of OS/2", going cheaply on eBay right now, if anyone is interested ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Design-of-OS-2-ExLibrary-/302238690630?hash=item465ed46d46:i:302238690630

EDIT: French version http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/La-conception-dOS-2-/262615961525?hash=item3d25218fb5:g:kwcAAOSwFdtX0bWQ
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:57:40 am by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 07:08:48 am »