Author Topic: What program for font preview  (Read 22826 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Re: What program for font preview
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »
Hi Dave,  This appears to be one of the java programs that requires openjdk6-ga3 to run. 

I have a few java programs that will not run with openjdk6-ga5.  I don't think there are supposed to be that many differences between ga3 and ga5 but there are enough not to let some java programs work that is why I have both versions on this computer.
Its best to run latest Odin and latest Java for our system, ie openjdk6-ga5. I don't have problems with latest Odin. I did test openjdk6-ga2 up ga4 and all do have errors some way with programs. What programs don't want to run with openjdk6-ga5?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 01:58:09 am »
Hi All

@ivan
FontViewer works fine with openjdk full version "1.6.0_27-b01-GA5" using the following command

J:\JAVA\OPENJDK\BIN\JAVAW.EXE -jar G:\OS2\FontViewer.jar

Obviously change Drives/Paths to suit other systems.

@Dave
Having tested with a new profile it looks like this problem is profile related - but only seems to affect os2world at the moment.

What in a Profile would cause Seamonkey to fail to display the "Save to..." dialog? - and why does it work fine on other websites?

Regards

Pete
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:02:19 am by Pete »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 05:17:29 am »
Fontviewer doesn't work here with the latest Java. The only difference is that I'm using a cmd file to add the java directory to the front of %PATH%.
As for SeaMonkey, in the old days, I'd say something in prefs.js but now a days it could be in one of the sqlite3 files, probably places.sqlite, which no longer seems to get finalized when shutting the browser down.
You could test. After backing up your profile, with SM closed, try replacing prefs.js with the new one and test. If it works, then you have the fun job of diffing the old and new prefs.js. You can do the same with places.sqlite (move places.sqlite-wal along with it) but it is hard to diff them and with the wal file, you can't even open the sqlite3 file in a sqlite editor. The wal file is sorta a journal, stands for write ahead log. Sometimes using an older SM (2.21 or older) will fix the sqlite file. Make sure you have your profile backed up. I back mine up daily due to problems like this, keep losing some history or not having it stick for some domains.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 08:44:42 pm »
Hi Dave

No problems starting from a cmd file here

/* fontviewer.cmd */

'@set PATH=J:\JAVA\OPENJDK\BIN;%PATH%'
'@javaw -jar G:\OS2\FontViewer.jar'

Alternatively have you tried starting fontviewer from a command line using the full paths to java and fontviewer? - if that does not work maybe you will get a helpful error message.

As for seamonkey I'll have to find time to do some testing and see if I can spot the problem. Strange that so far it only seems to affect downloading from os2world.

Regards

Pete

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 10:51:50 pm »
You can see too the program sample in Qt4, fontsampler.exe, you have the sample and source. Only can see one by one font, but only with push a key.
Saludos

xynixme

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:33 pm »
Make sure you have your profile backed up. I back mine up daily due to problems like this, keep losing some history or not having it stick for some domains.

FF (or SM) wasn't able to find NSPR4.DLL, according to a quickly disappearing pop-up window behind the browser's main window. Would copying NSPR4.DLL from a %LIBPATH% directory to the browser's main directory improve the stability? Is there a hard-coded reference to a wrong (i.e. the current) directory indeed?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 08:33:22 pm »
The Firefox was not able to fine nspr4.dll or xpcom.dll is not a very informative error as it actually means that nspr4 can't find one of its dependencies.
Try running PMDLL on your nspr4.dll to hopefully see which dll you're missing.

xynixme

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 03:50:11 am »
Try running PMDLL on your nspr4.dll to hopefully see which dll you're missing.

It was that type of pop-up, yes, albeit behind the main window. I've seen it at least twice. There's a possibility that the system was quite busy during the whole session, for example due to some unavoidable script.

NSPR4.DLL can load all DLLs it requires, but I'll now assume that the pop-up cannot be avoided by moving the DLL to the browser's own directory. I was more worried about a pop-up behind the main window, because sometimes you may have to answer a question (to stop a script, for example) which cannot be answered because the pop-up window is hidden behind the main window. From an user's point of view I didn't notice any problem related to (not) being able to load the DLL, other than seeing the pop-up window.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 04:54:49 am »
That's strange and have never come across the popup appearing when loading the browser successfully. Actually more often it is that it can't find xpcom.dll such as yesterday when I tried to launch Thunderbird and got the popup. In that case I was down to about 3 MBs of lower shared memory and once the share memory came back TB launched fine. Dmik has tried to make the popups more informative but it really seems non-trivial.
Generally Mozilla has no problems finding its DLLs as long as it knows where its program directory is, which is why the working directory has to be correctly set at times.
ps by Mozilla I mean all 4 apps (Firefox, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird and InstantBird) that are built here from the same tree.

xynixme

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 05:43:52 am »
That's strange and have never come across the popup appearing when loading the browser successfully. Actually more often it is that it can't find xpcom.dll such as yesterday when I tried to launch Thunderbird and got the popup.

Generally Mozilla has no problems finding its DLLs as long as it knows where its program directory is, which is why the working directory has to be correctly set at times.

I haven't retried it, but I should be able to launch FF/SM without a NSPR4.DLL installed, without seeing a pop-up or any PM DLL warning. So it was an unexpected DLL name which popped up. With extremely slow systems and enlarged SWAPPER.DATs a window behind the main window is not unusual, so maybe the CPU load (P4, 2 GB) was 100% for too long. Next time, if any, I'll try to pay more attention to details.

In all (both?) cases the working directory was set okay, including LIBPATHSTRICT and BEGINLIBPATH. Anyway, copying NSPR4.DLL to the FF/SM directory probably won't avoid the pop-up, and trying to avoid the pop-up was the main question. Thank you.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 07:20:29 am »
OK, I'm getting forgetful in my old age. I'm a SeaMonkey user (and also use Thunderbird for testing since I seem to be the maintainer) and am using the same SM that I uploaded. I've been basically following Bitwise lead as they're maintaining Gecko (I sure can't) and as they've mostly ignored all my requests/patches I've been sticking to their moves pretty closely, it's too hard to fork with my dial-up connection and I'm not a programmer but would like to meet the licensing requirements such as making source available. My tree is a couple of GBs now.
Anyways what I ended up doing is moving all the missing DLLs, the ones that are now installed in @UNIXROOT/usr/lib such as nspr4 and the nss* ones, from the previous release into my SM program directory. I found it much more stable.