Author Topic: OpenOffice 4.1.3 Draw problem  (Read 13368 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: OpenOffice 4.1.3 Draw problem
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 09:24:30 am »

An update to this problem:  Firefox popped up the "welcome back" thing, and offered to "clean up" my install. Since I had recently done a backup, I decided to see what it did. It finished successfully, and Firefox has been behaving itself since then. I have NO IDEA what it did, but the problem seems to be solved, for now.

Basically it gives you a new profile. Mozilla profiles seem to easily get corrupt and cause various problems, which is why the first suggestion when tracking down a bug is to try a new profile.
Just earlier today I was thinking that what Mozilla should really be working on is an intelligent profile cleaner.
Our port is actually worse then most as we no longer seem to do some cleanup and finalizing on shutdown, which leads to more chance of profile corruption.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 06:45:01 pm »
So far I only get the occasional corrupt prefs.js which is easy to restore from backup but then I don't spend as much time on the internet as I use to.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 05:09:02 am »
Basically it gives you a new profile. Mozilla profiles seem to easily get corrupt and cause various problems, which is why the first suggestion when tracking down a bug is to try a new profile.

The problem with that approach, is that it usually just hides a problem. It doesn't actually get it fixed.

Just earlier today I was thinking that what Mozilla should really be working on is an intelligent profile cleaner.

I think that Mozilla did that, when they started offering to clean up an "old" install. I am not impressed with the way that they do it, but it seems to work, without too much pain to the user.  YMMV.