Author Topic: Installing Warp 4 on a Thinkpad 560 over network  (Read 15091 times)

Tom

• View Profile
Re: Installing Warp 4 on a Thinkpad 560 over network
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 02:04:43 pm »
Regarding the problem of making the floppies from the images on a windows machine.  There is an answer to that - EMT4WIN.  Unfortunately it is a bit too large to attach here and Daniel no longer has it on his site (moved on to win 8 and 10 but the OS/2 programs are still there).

Anyone wanting a copy send an e-mail to ivanjt at free dot fr and I will send it to you.

Or go directly to web.archive.org/web/20150731070645/http://dvalot.free.fr/emtcopy.htm

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 03:20:11 am »
My first attempt to create boot disks has failed.

I installed FreeDOS in a VirtualBox guest, and connected a USB floppy drive to my Windows host.  The good news is that Windows was able to format the disk, so it seems good.  Also, the FreeDOS guest was able to read the floppy.

Unfortunately, it was not able to write to the disk: it gives a "FATAL: int13_diskette_function: write error" error when trying to do a FORMAT A:.

I think the next thing I am going to try is to connect a USB-> PATA adapter to my laptop drive, have a VM boot the OS/2 install disks, and see if I can get the installer to install to the laptop drive.

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 03:28:59 am »
Actually, I'm going to try the EMT program that I was kindly pointed to.  I'm creating a floppy from one of the .DSK images.  If that works, then I'll weigh which option makes most sense.

My next big problem - if I try to do the install over LAN option - is finding the driver for my IBM "Home and Away" PCMCIA fax/modem/LAN card.  I was certain IBM would have every driver ever created by them easily accessible, but it seems to be lost in Lenovo-land.  I am quite certain it was not supported by the Warp installer out of the box.  I think I had to copy some file off a floppy disk onto one of the install disks.

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 04:01:34 am »
Well, I was able to find what I think is the driver floppy for my Fax/LAN combo card: http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=73052&si=e636723c79d8ec9def5934a07b74bb77.

I was also able to use the EMT4WIN app to format a physical floppy from one of the .DSK images.  Then, I was able to use that physical floppy to create a bootable floppy ISO, again using EMT4WIN.

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a bootable image file directly from the .DSK file ? The only source option EMT4WIN seems to give me is the physical disk A.

thanks for reading !

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 12:50:52 pm »
I don't know if windows has such things as virtual floppies (we have them in OS/2).  If there is such a thing you can use that instead of the real floppy.

When I get to the office this evening I will dig out what we did to make a bootable CD way back in, I think, 2002 and email it to you.

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 02:41:38 am »
No virtual floppies natively in Windows.  A StackOverflow thread suggested something called ImDisk, but it didn't seem to be able to mount the .DSK files.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 08:53:21 pm »
I don't know if windows has such things as virtual floppies
Sure, they have quite some choices.