Author Topic: JFS Error during boot  (Read 15392 times)

JanvanDijk

JFS Error during boot
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:57:33 am »
After a power down of our EComstation system we got the following error after bootup:

The system detected an internal processing error at
location ##1800:05b5 - 0003:05b5.
65535, 9051
JFSBOOT: Error reopening file C:\OS2\DLL\DOSCALL1.DLL $heart$ng JFS drive
108606e5
Internal revision 14.101a_SMP

The system is stopped. Record all of the above information and
contact your service representative.

Does any one have a clue what might have caused this to happen because this makes it difficult to recover from a sudden power down.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: JFS Error during boot
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:03 am »
I don't know exactly what the message means not having bootable JFS. 

The first thing I would do is to boot to the maintenance partition and run chkdsk C: /F and see what it throws up.  If you don't have a maintenance partition then boot from CD and do it that way [I understand that the eCS CD allows you to do that].

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:58:24 am »
Internal revision 14.101a_SMP
Wonders if this is a typo or if you really try bootable JFS with such an old kernel.

JanvanDijk

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:06:49 pm »
I got this errormessage from one of our service engineers that booted the system again after a powerdown. I hope they wrote down the exact message.
We really use bootable JFS on our ecomstation systems. These systems run control software to monitor our system that is connected via serial lines and is continuesly logging data.
The partitions are as follows:
Physical Harddisk 1: Drive C:, D:
Physical Harddisk 2: Drive E:, F:
Drive F: is used to backup important data from drive C:. We use the zip utility to facilitate this.
I have tested this on a test setup and found no problems while the system was powered down while it is logging and doing a backup. After starting it up again the system continued normally. So I wonder how this could have happened.
The service engineer allready recovered from this situation by installing an image containing the default installation and restoring the backup.

eirik

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 01:59:11 pm »
I lean to the same explanation as Andi B.  But before you install a new kernel, you need to access the disk again.  After booting from the reserve partition (or in your case better from the installation cd) to get a newer kernel running during your restore session, and issue the command "chkdsk /f c:".  This ought to correct your disk problem, at least to the stage that you can reboot in the ordinary way and see if the problem reappears.  If it does not, you are probably fine, continuing with the old kernel, but I would still advice you to move to a newer kernel as changes to eCS presumes 14.104a_xxx or newer.

I run bootable JFS (but with the most recent kernel: 14.105a_SMP) which works beautifully with bootable JFS).

Good luck! Eirik

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »
Eirik, where did you get the 'chkdsk /f c:' from?  As far as I know it should be 'chkdsk c: /f:n' with the f:n being F0 (the default) f1, f2 or f3.  As I don't have bootable JFS I may be wrong and what you say is just for that but it does not shows that in the OS/2 command reference.

eirik

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 09:28:53 pm »
Ivan,

it actually does not matter.  Both formats work, but I agree your format is better: what to do, where, options.  I was just a bit fast when I wrote down my previous msg.

Eirik :-)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:50:56 pm »
Hi Eirik

Sorry to mention it but your kernel is now not the most recent  :-)

eCS2.2 Beta comes with this kernel:-

[H:\]bldlevel os2krnl
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#IBM:14.106#@_SMP  IBM OS/2 Kernel
Vendor:          IBM
Revision:        14.106
File Version:    14.106
Description:     _SMP  IBM OS/2 Kernel

Seems to work fine with BootableJFS - and no other obvious problems here.

Regards

Pete