Author Topic: Rexx?  (Read 27762 times)

muffetta

Re: Rexx?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 07:21:03 pm »
Hi, returning to the vx-rexx, since i'm reading the manual for version 2.1 CS demo (the one on hobbes) out of curiosity, is it possible to get an executable from a project written in vx-rexx using other tools?
Regards

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 11:03:34 pm »
is it possible to get an executable from a project written in vx-rexx using other tools?

No.

RobertMauro

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 11:48:10 pm »
Hi, returning to the vx-rexx, since i'm reading the manual for version 2.1 CS demo (the one on hobbes) out of curiosity, is it possible to get an executable from a project written in vx-rexx using other tools?
Regards

Hi Barbara, can you go into more detail about what you are trying to do and what the source code looks like? Some of the libraries out there work with vx-rexx and other packages, so, theoretically, it is possible, probably with some modification, to compile code using another "tool".

Best,
Robert

muffetta

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 05:57:50 am »
Nothing special Robert, I spoke of the exercises and examples given in the manual of the vx-rexx demo that I'm reading, as Alex Taylor spoke of rexx2exe some post ago in this thread (and in fact on hobbes is not the only program like that) I thought it was possible.
Regards.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 05:01:04 pm »
Nothing special Robert, I spoke of the exercises and examples given in the manual of the vx-rexx demo that I'm reading, as Alex Taylor spoke of rexx2exe some post ago in this thread (and in fact on hobbes is not the only program like that) I thought it was possible.

More background details: Every REXX dialog IDE must use its own tools to create an executable from the source. There exist no other (maybe license-free) tools to do that.

Andreas

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 02:46:57 am »
Any VX-REXX application project can only be compiled with VX-REXX (although it's possible to do this using only the demo if you don't mind some extra work).

However, separate REXX function libraries and some kinds of macros that are written with VX-REXX may be able to be compiled (with e.g. REXX2EXE) if they are 'plain' REXX and don't rely on the VX-REXX client-server object framework.

It's quite possible to use VX-REXX functions (but not objects, methods or events) in a 'standard' REXX script.

muffetta

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 10:20:29 pm »
So there is a way, no,  I don't mind some extra work, definitely it is faster than rewriting every time exercises  ::) !
Regards.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49:20 pm »
So there is a way, no,  I don't mind some extra work, definitely it is faster than rewriting every time exercises  ::) !

Every time you Run a VX-REXX project (even in the demo) it compiles it to EXE and writes both the EXE and the source code to a temporary directory (called "__tmp?" where ? is a number) under %TMP%.  The three source files you need to save are project.VRP, project.VRM (rename to project.VRX when saving), and project.VRW (rename to project.VRY).   

muffetta

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:08 pm »
Unfortunatly does not work after you've closed vx-rexx (at least here for me). The executable does not start and you can't re-open the project file (a simple window with a quit button)
Project.vrp:
MacroPath: VRM:
EXEPath:
RunParameters:
RunDirectory:
VRXWindow: __VREMainWindow,1,2289,4433,5767,8000
VRXWindow: __VRESectionListWindow,0,3324,6793,2650,3342
VRXWindow: __VREToolsWindow,1,3404,10648,4993,1669
UserFile: 1
UserWindow: Window1,1

Likely something wrong, but what?
Regards

xynixme

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 05:05:14 pm »
may be able to be compiled (with e.g. REXX2EXE) if they are 'plain' REXX

One of the rather expensive Rexx compilers, which actually should be quite easy to write, was shipped with a fully functional RexxPack utility. RexxPack used to be a product on its own, AFAICT. An improved version of RexxPack can be found here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/incoming/delayed/packrexx.zip

Interestingly it decreases the size of the EAs too, so it should improve the speed of execution slightly. Registration may be required to receive some undo-utility. I guess RexxPack just removes all unneeded characters, without overdoing it. In theory you could use RexxPack to produce a hard-to-edit smaller file, and Rexx2EXE to create a "compiled", smaller, unreadable final product.

Please do execute our Rexx EXEs with Object REXX too, to make sure that there are no fatal syntax errors. The same syntax check applies to VX-REXX (with PackVXRX) EXEs.