OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

USB Audio

(1/10) > >>

Neil Waldhauer:
Is anyone using Lars Erdmann's USB Audio? What hardware are you using?

Lars:
I myself am testing with a Terratec Aureon Dual USB.
To make it short: for certain technical reasons only 44.1 kHz sampling rate will do.

Neil Waldhauer:
OK, Aureon seems to use CM119 chipset, but older ones might be CM108 or CM106. I'll give one of those a try.

Lars:
I also tried some cheapo chinese USB Audio stick (which broke after about 2 weeks of use).
In general any USB Audio device should work but manufacturers are free to support dedicated sample rates.
They will almost always support 44.1 kHz Stereo because it is so common, then the good stuff will also support 48 kHz Stereo (the Terratec Aureon does) because that is the sample rate for professional sound equipment (as far as I know).

What they will normally not support is the 22,05 kHz and 11,025 kHz sound files that OS/2 comes with. For that a sample rate converter (in SW) would be needed and "fitted" into OS/2 MMPM subsystem (I think that is possible but it is work and the data amount would double or quadruple respectively and I don't know how to increase a sound buffer in size).

That's also the reason why those OS/2 Sound files sound so funny if you play them ...

David McKenna:
Lars,

Maybe it would be simpler to just provide the same set of OS/2 sound files that have been 'translated' to 44.1k?

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version