OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Have questions about porting software to eCS?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on December 27, 2012, 07:39:55 am ---I'd suggest starting with a simple command line app like wget

People seem to want to be ambitious and start with something like virtualbox!

--- End quote ---

I was trying to lead a thread to get wget to build. The latest one wasn't cooperating. Then OS2world ended. I did download an older version, which has been built in the OS/2 environment previously, but I have done nothing with it, other than discover that it won't build either. I am pretty sure that it is just a minor setup problem, but I don't see what it might be, and need some guidance from those who know about these things.

I intend to restart that thread, sometime early next year, unless somebody else wants to start it earlier. Hopefully, it will serve as a guide for others, but it should also serve as a guide to get the build environment to work with a basic project, before a user decides to tackle more complicated things, like virtualbox.   ;D

Paul Smedley:

--- Quote from: Joop on December 27, 2012, 02:12:30 pm ---Want to try to compile Rocrail, but its using Bazaar instead of CVS. How different are those two? Is it hard / difficult to port Bazaar to OS/2-eCS? Paul, you did CVS as far as I know, how difficult was it?

--- End quote ---

yeah the build of cvs I use was built by me.  I've never looked at bazaar, but likely it is quite portable, so I will try and take a look at it.

Note Rocrail has source snapshots available too - https://launchpad.net/rocrail/sunrise/2.0/+download/rocrail-4282-sources.tar.gz

Note also, this uses wxwidgets, which doesn't work terribly well on OS/2.

Andy Willis:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on December 27, 2012, 05:31:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on December 27, 2012, 07:39:55 am ---I'd suggest starting with a simple command line app like wget

People seem to want to be ambitious and start with something like virtualbox!

--- End quote ---

I was trying to lead a thread to get wget to build. The latest one wasn't cooperating. Then OS2world ended. I did download an older version, which has been built in the OS/2 environment previously, but I have done nothing with it, other than discover that it won't build either. I am pretty sure that it is just a minor setup problem, but I don't see what it might be, and need some guidance from those who know about these things.

I intend to restart that thread, sometime early next year, unless somebody else wants to start it earlier. Hopefully, it will serve as a guide for others, but it should also serve as a guide to get the build environment to work with a basic project, before a user decides to tackle more complicated things, like virtualbox.   ;D

--- End quote ---
wget built very easily with Paul's environment... I had to make one change to the code to make up for the fact that that some struct (sched_param) was getting defined twice in their code.  With my home grown environment I was having problems because it wanted gnutls which in turn wanted libnettles.  There is not a gnutls in the yum repository for that environment so I have the same issue there as I do with my own.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---wget built very easily with Paul's environment...
--- End quote ---

I assumed that that was the case, since Paul suggests starting with wget. As I said, I need some guidance, but I also need the time to tackle it again. The main objective, with this project, is to get the build environment to work with a simple project that is known to work, since others have done it. After that, it is easier to move on to more complicated projects.

Joop:

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on December 28, 2012, 01:34:34 am ---
--- Quote from: Joop on December 27, 2012, 02:12:30 pm ---Want to try to compile Rocrail, but its using Bazaar instead of CVS. How different are those two? Is it hard / difficult to port Bazaar to OS/2-eCS? Paul, you did CVS as far as I know, how difficult was it?

--- End quote ---

yeah the build of cvs I use was built by me.  I've never looked at bazaar, but likely it is quite portable, so I will try and take a look at it.

Note Rocrail has source snapshots available too - https://launchpad.net/rocrail/sunrise/2.0/+download/rocrail-4282-sources.tar.gz

Note also, this uses wxwidgets, which doesn't work terribly well on OS/2.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Paul, it needs Bazaar, so you have to start somewhere. Didn't know that wxwidgets doesn't work well with OS/2  :(, its used in many programs which does something with graphics. Get the feeling that graphics is our weak spot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version