Author Topic: What is needed for Node.js apps?  (Read 4689 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
What is needed for Node.js apps?
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:04 pm »
Hi

Just from a theoretical point of view, I want to know what would be needed to have Node.js stand alone apps to run on OS/2.

What are the framework, library set and/or runtimes that are needed to have node.js application like Riot.im , Butter Project (base for popcorn time) and others running as stand alone apps? I know that some node.js apps runs on Firefox on OS/2 like Riot.im, but I was wondering what is needed to have those running as stand alone.

This is just for my knowledge, don't think that I'm saying it is the #1 priority for us.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: What is needed for Node.js apps?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:23:12 pm »
Hi Martin,

I assume you have had a look at some of the frameworks available on git.  A good list is at:
https://scotch.io/bar-talk/10-node-frameworks-to-use-in-2019
Where you go from there is a good question as I see little js in any browser because of noscript being active.

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:51:54 pm »
what would be needed to have Node.js stand alone apps to run on OS/2.
Friends @ VLC and/or FFmpeg, if this is about video output with some internet data source?

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 04:23:35 pm »
Hi

Just from a theoretical point of view, I want to know what would be needed to have Node.js stand alone apps to run on OS/2.

What are the framework, library set and/or runtimes that are needed to have node.js application like Riot.im , Butter Project (base for popcorn time) and others running as stand alone apps? I know that some node.js apps runs on Firefox on OS/2 like Riot.im, but I was wondering what is needed to have those running as stand alone.

This is just for my knowledge, don't think that I'm saying it is the #1 priority for us.

Regards
You would also need V8, the Javascript interpreter running. It has a lot of dependencies.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:28:15 pm by Jochen Schäfer »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 07:29:33 pm »
Hi

I'm also guessing that is already something ported to run Node.js apps on OS/2, since some apps (like Riot IM) already run in Firefox for OS/2.
Is that something exclusive for Firefox or something in Node.js can run in stand alone mode without too much effort ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 08:19:12 pm »
Well, Firefox supplies the JavaScript engine (SpiderMonkey) as well as the graphical canvas to display something like Riot IM. The canvas is what would take a lot of effort to have a standalone interpreter.
The Firefox build process does spit out a standalone js.exe, which only seems capable of text mode.