Author Topic: Are you getting ready for ArcaOS?  (Read 110821 times)

Rich442

Re: Are you getting ready for ArcaOS?
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2017, 05:33:03 pm »
@ Sigurd Fastenrath:
And yes.. another machine is already waiting for the upcoming ArcaOS.. cleaned and ready to run :3

Amazing how that older hardware seems to last for decades! 

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2017, 06:05:03 pm »
I honestly feel that letting them bet to work in peace may be the best solution I work in IT at a large company and thet seems to be the best solution. Yeah I know we can be disappointed but it is better to let them get it right the first time.

I basically agree with comment.

My only caveat is that when you publish a release date, update it and then miss it, you should say something, even if all you can say is that we can not publish a new release date at this time. No news just leads to endless speculation and questions in the minds of your customers about what is going on in your organization. I think is especially true as most, if not all of the interested parties, have memories of waiting years for the non-release of eCS 2.2.

Cheers

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:44 am »
I see that ArcaOS is now available. However, when I go to buy the personal edition, it's marked as out of stock? Do AN have a limited number of licenses from IBM that they can sell ?

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:55 am »
Don't think so. Guess they are currently setting up the backend which will process the thousands and millions of orders ;-)

Btw. the connection to them seems to be quite busy :-)

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »
I thought that too, but I assumed that the backend would be in place before the OS was made available... Strange, but hopefully just a small glitch.

Almost ArcaOS time....     :)

xynixme

« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2017, 02:04:58 pm »
Amazing how that older hardware seems to last for decades!

Seems is the key word. On average my (eCS 1.x) hardware is well over 10 years old, but I tend to not write about broken monitors or fully broken computers. All of my older hardware seems to last for at least one decade, but my garbage didn't. It does help that OS/2 doesn't require newer hardware, while it's a risk that ArcaOS will still be a "no go" because English is the only "available" ArcaOS language.

xynixme

« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2017, 02:16:39 pm »
In fact, RAMDISKS are not all that useful. About all that you can do with them, is put the %TEMP% stuff on them.

If the same file will be accessed frequently, for example by a password guesser or by some unoptimized Rexx prototype app with loops, then a RAM disk is a way to avoid torturing the physical harddisk...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2017, 04:26:01 pm »
Hi.

Since ArcaOS was released, I think it will be great if we can open some different threads to talk about any specific of it.

I'm trying to find more material for the OS2World Wiki. I will appreciate if someone can help me with some of the following:
1) Screenshots of the installation procedure (to be include on the wiki)
2) Screenshots of the desktop (to be include on the wiki)
3) Information of what software is include on ArcaOS GA.

Remember that the OS2World wiki uses the same userid and password of this forum, so if you like to create your own wiki page you can do it, or you just can send me the stuff to me to include it on the wiki.

ArcaOS's videos on YouTube, blogs posts, etc is also welcome, just remember to share your links !

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2017, 06:36:20 pm »
Don't think so. Guess they are currently setting up the backend which will process the thousands and millions of orders ;-)

It must be the flood of orders. As the www.arcanoae.com appears to be down right now. I keep getting a timeout response.  :o

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:11 pm »

It must be the flood of orders. As the www.arcanoae.com appears to be down right now. I keep getting a timeout response.  :o

I saw the announcement early this morning and was able to get in and get it ordered (and downloaded), but the server(s) were already getting hit hard and it was a very slow processes. That was 6am CST.

Already have it installed on a laptop and playing around with it (while I am working of course).

Kev

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2017, 09:00:47 pm »
I was looking over the announcement and was trying to compare/contrast the Personal vs Commercial versions. From what I can see the only difference between the 2 is.

Longer Updates Subscription/Support (1 Year vs 6 months)
Prioritized Support

Is there anything else? Any feature differences? Did I miss something?

Thanks

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2017, 10:12:49 pm »
Hi Eric

I guess that from a binary point of view Personal and Commercial version are the same. It guess it only chance the license of use (the text that tells you that you can use it for commercial or personal use), the subscription period, the price and maybe what you called "Prioritized Support " but I can not confirm that. I don't know if someone else with more knowledge of it can talk about it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2017, 01:57:15 am »
If i remember correctly Lewis Rosenthal in his presentation at Warpstock Europe last year mentioned this. I think it is as Eric Ericslon says. Makes sense too. Prioritised support is what commercial users need.

xynixme

« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2017, 02:17:25 am »
I was looking over the announcement and was trying to compare/contrast the Personal vs Commercial versions. From what I can see the only difference between the 2 is.

If they have copied eCS 2.x licenses, then you need a "Commercial" version when the number of installs of one user exceeds a limit.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2017, 04:41:00 am »
Lewis posted on the testers list that they're having server problems, not caused by making the GA available.
Hopefully they clear it up by tomorrow.
And yes, the commercial version is the same besides the subscription and prioritized support, probably number of licenses as well. Sounds like the licensing is pretty restricted due to IBM rather then a decision by Arca Noae, at least that is my understanding.