OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

RAID 1/Mirror under OS/2

(1/2) > >>

emerald:
Hi,

I'm afraid I know the answer already, but hopefully I'm missing something here.  I would like to setup a basic mirror on a PC I use as my home "server", which I'm running eCS 2.x on.  It's an Asrock 990FX Extreme motherboard with an AMD SB950 south bridge.  Specs are here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme3/index.us.asp?cat=Specifications

In theory it supports RAID, and I have configured my two drives I want to mirror, and the BIOS shows it as having a logical representation of the two drives mirrored presenting as one logical drive.  Of course, when I boot, eCS and either with LVM or dFsee, I see the physical drives, and not the single logical one.

So, does anyone know of a way to address the logical drives?  In lieu of the onboard controller, does anyone know of a SATA  controller available that will work with eCS for RAID?

And if not in hardware, what are the thoughts of mirroring in the OS?  I see over on hobbes there is a RAID driver, VRAID 2.3.  Does anyone have experience with that or other software implementations to mirror drives they would recommend?

Thanks!

ivan:
All the 'on board' RAID systems are software RAID and there is no driver for them in OS/2.

All our servers use hardware RAID and SCSI drives although we are considering getting an SATA hardware RAID controller for testing but the ones we have been looking at are nor cheap. 

Other than that I can't help.

emerald:
Hi Ivan,

that's what my memory from way back was - the onboard PC RAID we see really isn't hardware RAID and expects a WIndows OS.

Have you narrowed down the list of possible SATA RAID controllers that might work?  Expense is a mixed bag.  What is all your important information, documents, photos etc. worth?  Suddenly, even several hundred dollars is cheap compared to the loss. 

I'm thinking I might go for a shot at the VRAID from hobbes.  I did mirror drives many years ago in OS/2, and back of the my mind I feel like I didn't need 3rd party drivers for it, but it was many years ago, and I'm thinking I'm mistaken at this point.

And yes, I know I could load another OS and be on my way, but I've been running OS/2 since the 2.1 days, and really don't want to drink the kool aide after so many years with my favorite OS.

Thanks for the reply.

-David

Greggory Shaw:
     > Massimo report that this card works !
    >
    > LSI LOGIC SATA 150-6 RAID Card Six-port MegaRAID SATA (with cables) NEW IN BOX $70

I had this setup working, you should be able to find one from eBAy (new $70-90) ! And don't get cheap, buy a new one (it's your backups) !

Greggory Shaw:

--- Quote from: David A on March 17, 2017, 05:30:42 pm ---...

And if not in hardware, what are the thoughts of mirroring in the OS?  I see over on hobbes there is a RAID driver, VRAID 2.3.  Does anyone have experience with that or other software implementations to mirror drives they would recommend?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Sure easy & timed backups too.

RsyncBackup/2 - easy way to setup Rsync v3.09 for OS/2.

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1119.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version