Author Topic: Lightning (SM/TB)  (Read 17026 times)

xynixme

Lightning (SM/TB)
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:54:10 am »
To change the language (of mainly the UI) of Lightning v4.0.8, is overwriting files in the directories (and subdirectories) of both CALENDAR.DTD and LIGHTNING.DTD all it takes, or is there more to it?

So far it seems to work under an unchanged EN-US parent directory, by using a translated Win32 v4.0.8 source distribution.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Lightning (SM/TB)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:32:00 am »
No, you should replace both chrome\calendar-en-US and chrome\lightning-en-US directories with the ones from the Win32 v4.0.8 XPI (unzip to access) in your preferred language and then edit {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\chrome.manifest replacing en-US with your new locale, perhaps look in the Win32 XPI for the exact syntax, basically the lines starting with locale
Might be line wrap above and this is in your profile (backup before experimenting) with TB/SM closed IIRC, otherwise it is editing the OS/2 XPI as above and then installing it.

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:48:27 am »
edit {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\chrome.manifest replacing en-US with your new locale

FYI, I haven't removed any en_US settings of the distributed en_US SeaMonkey, and then it seems to work without editing chrome.manifest and by using the en-US directories. Seems: my number of appointments is one, so I'm not a power user of calendar apps. Nevertheless I'll compose a new and improved xx_XX XPI file.

xynixme

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 05:43:56 pm »
Installing the extension twice didn't seem to work, so I've used a restored profile which uses the original  en_US in names of the path and contains translated files in the directories of CALENDER.DTD and LIGHTNING.DTD files. So, without a modified XPI file and without having removed the UI language en_US:

1. Download and install Lightning/2, including a restart of SM/TB
2. Download and unzip a matching, translated Win32 release (*DE* instead of *en_US*, for example)

3. Go to the directory of Win32's CALENDAR.DTD file
4. ZIP -r CA.ZIP * (LZH, for example, may or will fail)
5. Go to the directory of Win32's LIGHTNING.DTD file
6. ZIP -r LI.ZIP *

7. UNZIP CA.ZIP in the directory (long, mentioned above) where OS/2's CALENDER.DTD file is installed, overwriting files
8. UNZIP LI.ZIP in the directory (long, mentioned above) where OS/2's LIGHTNING.DTD file is installed, overwriting files

I guess en_US is no problem as long as it matches the file CHROME.MANIFEST, and/or it doesn't know that "Schadenfreude" actually is DE instead of en_US. If you haven't installed Lightning yet, then creating a new OS/2 XPI, mentioned earlier in this thread, is probably a better option. Do not forget to create a profile backup. You may need it.

The original functionality isn't that clear, but it allows SM/TB to e.g. understand Microsoft Lookout appointments, and you probably can download an internet's ICS file which could contain ArcaOS-related events, and so on.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:15:52 am »
Generally Lightning seems to need to be uninstalled before installing a different version (noticeable if replacing SM's lightning with TB's lightning) and it seems, a different language. Probably a subtle bug somewhere.
Did you try just changing calendar-en-US and lighting-en-US and updating the manifest file in your profile? Seems to me that just updating the dtd files won't update all the UI
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:17:28 am by Dave Yeo »

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:26:04 pm »
</silence>
I do recall an article over here, in German, possibly with an attached German Lightning for SM 2.35/TB 45(?) by Andreas K. ISTR there was some issue, related to an update of SM/TB.

SM 2.42 didn't complain that Lightning 4.0.8 was too old, but what the problem and what was required to create a localized build of a newer Lightning?
<silence>
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:29:04 pm by André Heldoorn »

Laurenz Sommer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 06:00:05 pm »
You are getting sloppy with your silence tag :P
I think it was my thread where I searched for translators for language packages for SM 2.42. It got a victim of the server crash in September :(
Andreas has published a german version of Lightning 4.7.8 in the german OS/2 forum, but I haven't tested it: http://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1200

ak120

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:09 pm »
You are getting sloppy with your silence tag :P
I think it was my thread where I searched for translators for language packages for SM 2.42. It got a victim of the server crash in September :(

Andreas has published a german version of Lightning 4.7.8 in the german OS/2 forum, but I haven't tested it: http://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1200
In the German forum I only posted the download links which will you direct back to OS/2 World's forum. Here it was message #13196 of  the thread (http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1374#msg13196) started by Dave.

Laurenz Sommer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:42:53 pm »
In the German forum I only posted the download links which will you direct back to OS/2 World's forum. Here it was message #13196 of  the thread (http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1374#msg13196) started by Dave.
Ah, your are right, that's probably the thread. But from far behind in my head I remember that you also posted a newer version (4.7.9 ??).

Edit: I found a Google snapshot of the thread: https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=we...
But because you wrote "notdürftig zusammengeschustert" I don't know if it has any advantages about 4.7.8.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:52:29 pm by Laurenz Sommer »

ak120

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:37:15 am »
Ah, your are right, that's probably the thread. But from far behind in my head I remember that you also posted a newer version (4.7.9 ??).

But because you wrote "notdürftig zusammengeschustert" I don't know if it has any advantages about 4.7.8.
The 4.7.8 was a multi volume zip archive that was probably too complicated to handle for some users of broken unzip frontends, although I invested some effort in testing - especially for distribution in a CID environment. The next one didn't underwent this procedure. On rare occasions I use Seamonkey 2.35 (but not the latest) with Lightning 4.0.x that proved to be the most valuable solution available under OS/2 nowadays. As more GNU bloatware became introduced to the builds reliability and stability shrank to an unusable state for serious deployment. And better don't ask about compatibility. For existing OS/2-based web applications the Seamonkey 2.7.2 R2 build from Dave is the easiest way to go btw. or for windows client systems version 2.9.1. It's only my view based on experiences with real world applications. As time permits I will cook some borscht for Dmitri ;-)

xynixme

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 10:18:59 am »
But from far behind in my head I remember that you also posted a newer version (4.7.9 ??).

</silence>
A shared memory. Here the snapshot doesn't link to an expected message, but it was a German discussion @ www.os2world.com/forum. In theory the comments could have been relevant for compilers of other language versions, but "notdürftig zusammengeschustert" is not that clear indeed.
<silence>

xynixme

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 10:40:26 am »
I use Seamonkey 2.35 (but not the latest) with Lightning 4.0.x that proved to be the most valuable solution available under OS/2 nowadays.

As time permits I will cook some borscht for Dmitri ;-)

</silence>
Same here, but it was unclear why a localized 4.7.x could be better, what you did to localize it, and so on, preferably without having to install and uninstall an EN/US/DE 4.7.x first. SM 2.42 claims to have some integrated Lightning, and apparently upgrading to 4.7.x is not the most valuable solution. I was hoping for some answers and details in the German text, that's all.

I'll refer to os2.russianbrides.com instead, and pretend that a modern OS/2 browser can find this server.
<silence>

ak120

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »
Same here, but it was unclear why a localized 4.7.x could be better, what you did to localize it, and so on, preferably without having to install and uninstall an EN/US/DE 4.7.x first.
It's quite easy different versions of Sm/Tb require specific versions of it's extensions. Lightning or calendar is a special case which was originally integrated then spun off became integrated again (contained extension) and now in the latest (2.49.1) is no longer contained. But Lightning 5.4b4 can be installed later via xpi on supported platforms. Sounds weird, but I cannot change it.

SM 2.42 claims to have some integrated Lightning, and apparently upgrading to 4.7.x is not the most valuable solution. I was hoping for some answers and details in the German text, that's all.
Seamonkey 2.42 was never released. It's a makeshift - thanks to Dave for his efforts. For specific questions a would refer to the earlier threads here or better the newsgroup.

xynixme

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 03:48:38 am »
It's quite easy different versions of Sm/Tb require specific versions of it's extensions.

</silence>
It's not quite easy, because it's still unclear what was (translated DE -> EN:) quick & dirty. The developer's code, what you had to do, and/or the final results.

It's not quite easy, because SM 2.42 was never officially released and apparently has some integrated version. SM 2.35's is 4.0.x, so which version of SM for "OS/2"supports 4.7.x, since you've recommend 4.0.x earlier.

In other words: if I'd want to compile another package for another language, then was there anything special (hidden in the German exchange of answers over here) done by you?

Which version of SM is the target of Lightning 4.7.x?

And, by now, is it useful to consider translating 4.7.x? Or may we as well continue to use (SM 2.35 & 4.0.x) XOR (SM 2.42 & its built-in solution)?

I should have asked it back then, to avoid adding new but rather irrelevant issues by now. For one the question isn't how easy ("quite") it is, according to you or me... :)
<silence>

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 05:23:46 am »
Localization has been fixed, so the next version of Lightning should have a language pack.
Note, it was mostly localization issues, especially on Lightning, that prevented 2.42 and various other versions from being released.
Asking in the newsgroup could be a good idea, as Frank-Rainier Grahl, SM developer, who gave me the patches for 2.42 might have had the correct localized version.