Author Topic: Is there any procedure to update configurations OS2 maintaining programs?  (Read 15610 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
There is checkini from wptools, I assume you mean that- There is also Unimaint, with which you can also repair ini files. Perhaps that does what you want.

ivan

• View Profile
Depending on how damaged your ini files are you could try XFIX from XWorkplace to clean out all the redundant listings.

Cleanini is also good for removing those items that are outdated.  We use it as the last thing on fridays to keep the ini files clean.

There is also iniEditor 1.2 if you want to do it the hard way.

Edit to add the two programs because they are not easy to find.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:23:33 pm by ivan »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Hi Everyone,

I use dSync/2 v.0.1.6z. You have to write a simple small script which tells the program what to do... You can restore with a script, but you can also take a file manager like FC/2 to restore one file or the complete drive...

Similar to what I have been doing for some years now.

What is different in my install is that I do a nightly live backup of all my OS/2 partitions (boot & data) to a mirror image, which simply are OS/2 volumes (drives) that physically exist on another HD. From a price/performance perspective it only made sense to do so given what storage costs are these days. This is very fast (well, it runs scheduled around 3am each night) and is super easy to get back the stuff that I need whenever I need - such as I had in a few cases where software update/install messed something up on my main partition.

I had to do a system recovery from this backup only once, but it worked. I simply relied on XCOPY and it was done from a bare-bones OS/2 maintenance partition. Had I kicked off dsync itself and reversed the source/target drive mappings I would have been able to restore everything exactly as things were, which I think would have allowed me to maintain the original date/time stamps. Never tested this part though and since XCOPY was a very clean & simply recovery method I relied on that instead.

xynixme

A happy accident? I may have solved the severe problem by using FPos (solving), or I created enough space with FPos to be able install a few new WPS objects without corrupting the WPS (avoiding). I deleted a few lines and I deleted a few records with an "Unknown" View.

The <Alt-F1> facility with 3 copies is a component of my backup procedures, but the 3 copies may contain an undetected corruption. If a backup wasn't clean, then there's the risk that the last uncorrupted backup cannot be found in the top-3 anymore. I'll look at solutions, and I'll look at a better procedure. Restoring an old boot drive copy remains a PITA, but it's better than starting from scratch again. At the moment I can still test the utilities with a broken backup.

WPTools' CHECKINI always detected the error(s), but then it's too late. CHECKINI or the OS cannot find the desktop, object A is a duplicate of object A, settings of "random" WPProgram will be erased, and so on.

xynixme

A happy accident?

FPos is not relevant. It avoided the problem for a short while. I was able to install a few WPS objects and to rename a WPS object. The problem is still there, because after a while ChckINI-messages like "handle <xxxx> (My object) already points to another object, My Object" start popping up again.

With CleanINI a few desktop directory-handles are removed (of existing objects, may be a clue?), and it deletes an impressive number of other handles too. Unfortunately default icons change to a blank icon or to some pointer icon, even after multilple WPS resets, so there still is a problem.

I guess it may be too specific by now, unless the changing default icons are a clue too. CheckINI reports no error then, but I'm afraid that's an accident waiting to happen. I'll consider a re-install. ;(