Author Topic: Delete shadow without deleting the program.  (Read 4495 times)

bfulton

Delete shadow without deleting the program.
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:58:20 pm »
PC: Thinkpad T400 (Penryn/Centrino chipset)
xWorkplace: 1.0.x

I know it is an "RTFM" question, but I don't have an OS/2 manual to read (except for a few books on PC-DOS and the WordStar manual).

I have desktop shadows for MESA 2, WordStar 7A, WSEdit, WDSibyl and OpenWatcom C/C++ and OpenWatcom Tools programs. They take up the entire top row of my Workplace shell I would like to have a cleaner Workplace shell without a lot of shadow shortcuts.

Can I reduce desktop clutter by removing some of these unwanted shadows? Is it possible to delete a desktop shadow without deleting the program? Where does that program reside after deleting the shadow?

Thank you all for any suggestions. I can explain further if you need.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:19:02 pm by Blaise Vlachos »

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: Delete shadow without deleting the program.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:25:16 pm »

I know it is an "RTFM" question, but I don't have a manual to read (except a few books on PC-DOS).

I have desktop shadows for MESA 2, WordStar 7A, WSEdit, WDSibyl and OpenWatcom C/C++ and OpenWatcom Tools programs. They take up the entire top row of my Workplace shell I would like to have a cleaner Workplace shell without a lot of shadow shortcuts. In Windows , there are "shortcuts" that can be deleted.

Can I reduce desktop clutter by removing some of these unwanted shadows? Is it possible to delete a desktop shadow without deleting the program? Where does that program reside after deleting the shadow?

Thank you all for any suggestions. I can explain further if need

Being a shadow (eCS), shortcut (Windows) or alias (Apple), it can be deleted without deleting the original program icon.  The program icon should be found in the program folder for the program installed. You will have to check your desktop folders.

What I always do is make a restore point before I make major changes.  This way if something goes wrong, it can be restored back to where one had it.

Right click on desktop, select properties, select archives tab, and then check "archive desktop", and then check "at next desktop startup only". Close and restart eCS.  You have created a restore point. I also check "display recovery choices at each system startup while making choices under the Archive tab.  It mades it easier to restore  if something ever goes wrong.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:36:26 pm »

I know it is an "RTFM" question, but I don't have an OS/2 manual to read (except for a few books on PC-DOS and the WordStar manual).

I have desktop shadows for MESA 2, WordStar 7A, WSEdit, WDSibyl and OpenWatcom C/C++ and OpenWatcom Tools programs. They take up the entire top row of my Workplace shell I would like to have a cleaner Workplace shell without a lot of shadow shortcuts.

Thank you all for any suggestions. I can explain further if you need.

Are you sure they're shadows and not program or folder objects? Here on ArcaOS, a shadow has blue title while original object has white. Right click on the icon, if a shadow, there will be a menu choice, Original with an arrow that if clicked will have 3 choices including Locate, which will locate the original.
If an Object, the properties should show the location under the file tab.
If a shadow, just drag it to the trashcan. If they are actually objects, perhaps drag them into a desktop folder such as Programs-->Development for the OpenWatcom stuff.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:39 pm »
Easy: In OS/2, shadow objects can be deleted without deleting the original object. That applies also for program objects.

What doesn't work is rename shadow objects without renaming the original (not true for program objects). If you install xshadow, you can rename a shadow object without renaming the original.

That's different from other OSs.

bfulton

Delete shadow w/o deleting the program--solved
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 10:13:39 pm »
Are you sure they're shadows and not program or folder objects? Here on ArcaOS, a shadow has blue title while original object has white. Right click on the icon, if a shadow, there will be a menu choice, Original with an arrow that if clicked will have 3 choices including Locate, which will locate the original.
perhaps drag them into a desktop folder such as Programs-->Development for the OpenWatcom stuff.

Fantastic.  :) Thank you evryone for the help! Yes, on my copy of eCS 2 the objects have the white text but shadows do have grey text and an option for Original-->Locate.
Thank you, again. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:56:29 pm by Blaise Vlachos »