Author Topic: FF45.5 - choppy response/window scrolling anyone???  (Read 18425 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
FF45.5 - choppy response/window scrolling anyone???
« on: May 21, 2017, 03:19:22 am »
Installed the 45.5 release of FF having installed the various pre-reqs...it came up OK, but very quickly found out that pretty much all feedback to any input (window scrolling, text typing - such as in this window) is very choppy!

This means, there is a pronounced delay in the browser response.

To better describe this is to say that if one were to turn off the "Smooth Scrolling" feature the results would be what I'm seeing.

I will try disabling the SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1 mode next, just to rule it out...

Is anyone seeing something similar to this?

BTW: this is on a 5 core SMP box...plenty of CPU power, but strangely the CPU monito shows very little activity.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: FF45.5 - choppy response/window scrolling anyone???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 04:44:46 am »
I find the same thing with SeaMonkey. It was really bad before I fixed the packaging and made the package.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 04:02:28 pm »
Overall the browser seems more responsive. It's pretty fast here. But I see that typing this reply is slow.

To me, window scrolling is improved for the first repaint, but slower for subsequent repaints.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:29:18 am »
Did anyone had success with changing setting?

I have the same issue - its delaying and jumping when scrolling - not smooth (as it was with FF 38.8).

"I will try disabling the SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1" did not make any difference.

I am using an X200T

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:44:48 pm »
I've tried the usual suspects such as disabling smooth scrolling, doesn't help.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:03:20 pm »
Hi Moritz,

Did anyone had success with changing setting?
"I will try disabling the SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1" did not make any difference.
I am using an X200T

Yup, I did try that, as well as the other application options that Dave mentioned...no impact...stuff is still pretty choppy. I'm using ATI X850 XT PE here...

However, besides that "little" annoyance I find that FF45 is pretty darn solid...no crashes yet, seems to better behave when it comes to memory consumption, and visually it now appears to display all sites correctly without weird missing fonts, etc, etc...so good improvement!

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:13 am »
I wanted to comment my experience with FF45.b8, If I have open thunderbird38.8.0, and I try to start a video on youtube, firefox is blocked, with ctrl esc, I can close it.
But if the thunderbird is closed, I have no problem seeing it.
Sound does not work with arca50,for me.
The thunderbird, open, also caused me a lot of screen problems with the Vbox.
Saludos

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 02:36:09 pm »
Guys...not much progress (any actually LOL) on the official FF45 ticket...and given how un-usable the 45 release is for me I went back to 38...for now anyways!

Lars reported similar issue, he went some steps futher trying to identify the root cause but wasn't able to find it.

For what it's worth, I did not change anything else (like RPM package pre-reqs) to go back to 38 and so far things seem stable and the application responsiveness of course is back to where I expect it to be...so that would point to an actual difference in the 45 release, as opposed to say one of the underlying libraries that 45 is using. This rationale of course only holds true for the libraries that are common to both 38 and 45.

xynixme

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 04:05:25 pm »
go back to 38 and so far things seem stable and the application responsiveness of course is back to where I expect it to be...so that would point to an actual difference in the 45 release, as opposed to say one of the underlying libraries that 45 is using. This rationale of course only holds true for the libraries that are common to both 38 and 45.

Same here, and confirmed. FF 45 responses were slow with a hidden "entry field" cursor, while SM "38" was still as fast as usual. FF 45 caused a lasting 100% CPU load once, but that's hardly worth mentioning. Kill and restart took care of that issue. I'ld perhaps delete new packages, but going back is possible indeed.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 05:35:38 pm »
Returning to Firefox v38.8.0 is no problem, all the additional DLL's that Firefox v45.5.0 require are backward compatible and actually improve the performance of v38.8.0. It is advisable to backup your profile before swapping. I keep an earlier version of NoScript for v38.8.0 as v45.5.0 use's a more recent version of NoScript due to gecko versions.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »
...It is advisable to backup your profile before swapping. I keep an earlier version of NoScript for v38.8.0 as v45.5.0 use's a more recent version of NoScript due to gecko versions.

Ian brought up a great point, I do ALWAYS make a full backup of my profile (the HOME\mozilla.org\...) directory structure before any such major ugprades.

Going back to 38 from 45 I did not however restore from my original 38 profile backup (wanted to see if I could seamlessly go between the two) and that still worked successfully.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 02:55:57 am »
Should always back up your profiles, neither Mozilla or Bitwise support downleveling the browser and something broke between 45 and 52 esr branches IIRC, breaking downleveling.
BTW, I've found a fix here for the invisible cursor, just need to get Bitwise to apply the patch from https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1231839.

ak120

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:46 am »
Returning to Firefox v38.8.0 is no problem, all the additional DLL's that Firefox v45.5.0 require are backward compatible and actually improve the performance of v38.8.0.
Unfortunately that's not the truth. Every user testing the newer functions in a RPM installation, should also backup the DLL files especially nspr & co., which is not fully backwards compatible. Of course the esr38 applications will still start with them so it may look "compatible". But their usage leads to bad performance and breaks the functionality of several add-ons, for instance uBlock Origin.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 06:23:14 pm »
Hi Andreas,

Unfortunately that's not the truth.

ok, I probably should have added 'your mileage will vary', which should be a standard caveat with anything using ported apps under OS/2 :)

I only use two addon's, NoScript and VideoDownloadHelper for uni stuff, apart from FF requiring different versions of NoScript, everything else is working well here under FF v38.8.0, at least everything that I use including uTube with audio in the browser. FF gets reasonably heavy daily usage on my computer at present due to it being the end of the university semester. I regularly have FF open alongside OpenOffice.

PS, I'm using nspr-4_12_0-4_oc00.zip
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:25:44 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Dmitriy Kuminov

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 12:00:13 am »
JFYI, the problem was nailed down and worked around, see the last comments in the respective issue (https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/208). Please also consider reporting such things directly into the Mozilla issue system at https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2 as this way 1) it's guaranteed that it's noticed by the developers and 2) you get much faster feedback.
CPO of bww bitwise works GmbH