Author Topic: ArcaOS installation  (Read 6598 times)

Paolo_Ricardo

ArcaOS installation
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:22:56 am »
Is there an installation manual available to guide set up choices?

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS installation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:24:25 pm »
Yes, you'll find "ArcaOS50_InstallationGuide.pdf" in the root of the installation dvd.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:26:23 pm »
Have you tried the Help buttons in the installation dialogs? (I found that advise yesterday in one of the readmes or PDFs.)

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:42:50 am »
Per/Andreas

Thank you - I found them on the ArcaNoae web site.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:18:21 pm »
I was able to buy and download Arca OS today and I thought I'd try to install it in VirtualBox.  Using all defaults except I gave it 4GB RAM and a 50GB hard drive, it had one issue on installation.  The UNIAUD16.SYS was unable to load.  It may be because I chose "Other OS/2" for the machine type, rather than something like OS/2 4.5, but I'm not sure.  I haven't tried any variations.

Other than that it works flawlessly.  I was able to set the desktop to 1600x1200 x 16M colors, and everything was smooth.  Everything seems to work without issue.  Looking forward to deleting this VM after some more testing and installing it on a real machine this weekend.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:20:33 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:16:38 pm »
This post is being made from my Arca OS installation on my 2007 Toshiba notebook.  It doesn't recognize the WiFi card, and I haven't tried using an external monitor yet, but everything else was identified.  I had some difficulty deleting the existing partition from inside the Arca OS installer, but after rebooting 3 or 4 times and trying different options, I finally got it to completely delete the partition and install from an empty drive.

I'm very pleased.  I'm looking forward to getting some development software installed.

UPDATE:  I was able to hook up my external monitor, and it's running in 1920 x 1440 mode.  Very pleased.  I've never gotten it to work on that mode in Windows before.  Only 1920 x 1200.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:34:58 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

David Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:27 pm »
There seem to be issues with the Audio driver with the install.  At first I used the default option which was UNIAUD on a box I had installed eCS 2.2 and UNIAUD did work.  I later tried to install in MS Virtual PC and got the same error.  I also noticed that there is no way to change the driver easily so after finding out what driver worked for VPC (was Sound Blaster driver) so when I selected that driver (the one that eCS says works on VMs) the installer ignored what I selected and still installed UNIAUD.

Seems like a bug in the installer.

It would be nice if a untility could be added to the package mangaer to download and allow changes to sound drivers.

Dave

gallowayd

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 03:52:08 am »
Hello all,

I installed ArcaOS on a HP / Compaq DC5800 SFF without issue.  Install ran perfectly (after the first DVD was found to be faulty).

The DC5800 is a standard build, on board Intel GB NIC, 160GB SATA HDD, PS/2 mouse and USB keyboard.  I reset the BIOS to defaults and am running the standard on board VGA.  It has 2gb of RAM which I may upgrade to 4gb.

I bought two of the DC5800s off eBay as refurbs for $54 a piece without monitors.

Hopefully this posting will save somebody some pain going forward.

Thanks,
Dean.