Author Topic: Removing ArcaOS installed cups packages?  (Read 9472 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Removing ArcaOS installed cups packages?
« on: May 24, 2017, 06:26:24 am »
Hi All

Any ideas on how to get rid of an unwanted cups/ghostscript/gutenprint installation without reinstalling ArcaOS?

I had hoped that they would be displayed in ANPM and easily removed but that is not the case, only gnu-ghostscript is listed as installed with no mention of cups or gutenprint.

Regards

Pete

drjohnnyfever

Re: Removing ArcaOS installed cups packages?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:21:51 am »
I don't have access to my ArcaOS box at the moment but I would check Warpin. There were a lot of packages that were in its index.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:18:25 pm »
ANPM shows the various cups packages under 'Installed':

cups
cups-client
cups-filesystem
cups-filters
cups-filters-libs
cups-libs
gutenprint
gutenprint-cups
gutenprint-libs
hplip
hplip-common
hplip-libs
splix

They should be there, unless you have them filtered out somehow.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:19:01 pm »
Hi Alex

The point of my post is that ANPM does *not* list any of the cups packages as either Installed or Available.

Aha! The ANPM filters need to be set to "All groups" - was set to Applications, possibly the default - then cups related packages appear.

It may be worth noting that uninstalling the cups related packages leaves the cups daemon in the Startup folder - surely ANPM should have deleted that?

Having got rid of the non-working software it is time to copy a cups setup from another system to give this laptop printing capability.

Thanks for the filters hint Alex.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 04:35:22 am »
surely ANPM should have deleted that?

ANPM doesn't do things like that. YUM, or more accurately, the  RPM package, under instructions from whoever packaged it,  does that. If it didn't, report it to the netlabs RPM/YUM project.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:50:18 am »
Hi All

Having got rid of the non-working software it is time to copy a cups setup from another system to give this laptop printing capability.

I guess I was being over optimistic as copying a working cups installation from my desktop system results in cups failing to print  with the job "pending". Possibly some sort of dll/support file problem which could be the result of files installed during ArcaOS install...

It does not seem possible to install ArcaOS without some yum/rpm packages getting installed - even with almost all install options deselected. Guess I could simple delete the unwanted stuff - \user, \var, \etc and remove references from config.sys and then find and manually install any files I actually need.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 04:32:26 am »
If you go that route, make sure you copy the required DLLs such as libc0x to somewhere on your LIBPATH.
Actually easier to just edit your config.sys and leave the directories there so you can copy any other needed DLLs to somewhere on your LIBPATH.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 06:54:18 am »
Hi Dave

It does seem that installing ArcaOS without the yum/rpm stuff is not possible - at least, I have not found the trick if it exists. Most disappointing...

On my Desktop I share *nixy dlls between 3 bootable installations by having all those dlls in a directory on a non-boot drive. Probably easier to copy that directory than try and sort out what of the supplied *nixy dlls are useable.

If that does not work ArcaOS will probably go in the bin.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 07:16:17 am »
Yes, there is a hard dependency on yum/rpm. I share my @UNIXROOT between 4 bootable partitions and switching from the ArcaOS installed @UNIXROOT to the shared @UNIXROOT seems to work fine as long as the config.sys entries are synched, probably more important here due to using it to build Mozilla, which was the reason I bit the bullet and started using it.
Good luck with switching to your shared DLL directory, which I'd guess would work. I do wonder about things like fontconfig that look in @UNIXROOT/etc for its configuration.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 01:30:27 am »
Hi All

Finally some success!  :-)

Yes, printing from a non-rpm cups installation on ArcaOS can be made to work - well, my printer spate out the Test Page sent from the cups browser interface rather than the cups browser displaying all signs of being about to print and then stopping with "pending" displayed.

I have yet to setup an ArcaOS  printer to test from applications but expect it to work...

Just in case anyone else has problems with the ArcaOS installed cups and needs to replace that setup with a known-to-be-working non-rpm release of cups

1] Kill the cups daemon (cupsd.exe) then use ANPM to remove all ArcaOS/yum/rpm installed cups/ghostscript/gutenprint packages - ghostscript-fonts can be left.
Having just discovered a hplip package is still installed and yum/rpm cannot Uninstall it - "Package cannot be uninstalled or no package selected" - make sure any hplip and splixx packages also get uninstalled at this stage.

2] The above uninstalls leave traces all over \user, \var and \etc so it is necessary to check those directory structures and delete any files left

3] Copy the non-rpm cups installation to disk - remember that cups/ghostscript/gutenprint must all be in the root of the same drive

4] If the non-rpm cups installation contains any of the required *nixy support executables - eg grep.exe, printf.exe - it is necessary to delete those files to avoid clashes with the yum/rpm installed *nixy files. I found I had missed 1 file which was causing problems, printing looked like it would happen but then the cups browser interface would display "pending".

5] Canon wireless printer owners using the bjnp.exe backend need to put a copy of cups17.dll into [Bootdrive]:\os2\dll - or possibly somewhere else on the libpath.

6] Point the cups daemon in Startup folder to the non-rpm cupsd.exe and start it up 

7] Start browser, turn on printer, point browser to localhost:631, select Printers, click on the printer, select Maintenance and print the Test Page

8]  Create the OS/2 printer - or is that ArcaOS printer now?

My choice was to copy my existing OS/2 (eCS2.2beta2) printer driver and support files over the lan - interestingly while you cannot copy or delete a *.drv file on your system without resorting to the command line there is no problem copying the file over the network using the File and Print Client gui.

I copied \os2\dll\psprint from my Desktop system to \os2\dll\psprint on my laptop by simply drag'n'dropping. I also copied \os2\dll\cups.pdr and \tcpip\bin\cupslpr.exe overwriting the ArcaOS supplied versions as they are built to work with the cups rpm packages so could cause problems.

Run the Install Printer (Printers folder) and when selecting the driver point to \os2\dll\psprint click refresh and select your printer.

When setting printer properties install and select the cups port setting the port properties to localhost and the cups printer name

A simple test: open a small file with the text editor (e.exe) and attempt to print. My attempt was successful  :-)

Regards

Pete
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:51:30 pm by Pete »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 03:24:34 am »
I haven't been following this lately, but I can report that the CUPS installed by ArcaOS does work with my brother's canon MP620 printer, using WiFi (with BJNP). The main trick seems to be to edit %UNIXROOT%\etc\cups\cupsd.conf to change
Code: [Select]
Listen /@unixroot/var/run/cups/cups.sock to
Code: [Select]
Listen /sockets/

Of course, you also need to use the CUPS installer to install to IPP, and manually change the entry to BJNP with the proper address for the printer.

Sorry, I don't have time to go into all of the details, but it is pretty much the same as with the older CUPS.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 05:07:32 pm »
Hi Doug

The cupsd.conf line is simply not needed so is commented out here for both rpm and non-rpm cups installations. However, I did give the suggestion a try with my rpm-cups installation and produced the the same result - gstoraster failure.

Good to hear that bjnp works with rpm-cups though - I thought it would. Also of interest is that the MP620 works with rpm-cups. I can only guess that later Canon printers introduce something that the rpm-cups gstoraster does not like.

Regards

Pete

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 02:05:11 am »
Hi all,

The cupsd.conf line is simply not needed so is commented out here for both rpm and non-rpm cups installations. However, I did give the suggestion a try with my rpm-cups installation and produced the the same result - gstoraster failure.

Good to hear that bjnp works with rpm-cups though - I thought it would. Also of interest is that the MP620 works with rpm-cups. I can only guess that later Canon printers introduce something that the rpm-cups gstoraster does not like.

FWIW, I configured my Photosmart 7510 using RPM cups, tried a test print, and got 'filter failed'. I haven't had time yet to investigate....

Cheers,

Paul

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 04:09:44 am »

It sounds like it might be finding something in the old setup, somehow. I Zipped up all of the old CUPS parts, and removed them. Perhaps that would help. I do know that you cannot mix and match very much. The only thing that I kept from the old CUPS is BJNP.EXE (and that may not be the latest).

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 04:23:16 am »
Hi Doug

Errr... A fresh, new install of ArcaOS would not have had any of the old cups bits hanging around to find  :-)

I see Paul has also found a "filter failed" problem with rpm-cups so it is not just my particular printer. Maybe he will be able to spot the cause of the problem which seems to be eluding Silvan at the moment.

A question about bjnp.exe: Did it need a copy of cups17.dll installed on the libpath?

Regards

Pete