Author Topic: About Local Translations - Launchpad ?  (Read 4192 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
About Local Translations - Launchpad ?
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:50:18 pm »
Hi

Something that I found interesting on how to make local translations to Ubuntu is the web tool that they use.

The Launchpad site (https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/zesty/+lang/es) allows the community to translate lines of text on a very easy and collaborative way.

But I don't know if the Launchpad is open source and if on OS/2 we can have the same way to integrate the translations made by the community on the web to the OS.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:26:29 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

xynixme

Re: About Local Translations - Launchpad ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:56 pm »
translations made by the community on the web to the OS.

The community needs a manager. IBM used typical IBM words, which should be a default choice. If the length of a string is a problem, then the word wildcard is a more likely choice than the longer word jokerteken. IBM's dictionary should be leading, and the community should avoid using both. You may translate an app I've written, but I'll prefer to review it (if possible) and I'll probably want more than just translated words. A Spanish saying may be better than a perfectly translated English sentence, for example. If I translate an own app, then I can tell which language was the original language. I'ld like to avoid that, which is hard with an army of translators with random policies.

IIRC there was at least one Russian suggestion to translate OS/2 software.