Author Topic: Unable to install ArcaOS  (Read 14381 times)

Paolo_Ricardo

Unable to install ArcaOS
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:02:47 am »
I am trying to install ArcOS over Ubuntu i.e. wiping Ubuntu by replacing with ArcaOS. I have a 128 GB hard drive. However when I launch the installer and the disk check kicks in I get a "No resizeable partition found" message and my disk is shown as only having a capacity of 128 MB.

I have tried creating a new volume under System Management but I get an "Operation not allowed" message and then "Disk 1 reports a corrupt partition table".

I presume my only option is to completely wipe the disk and start again withan ArcaOS install. The only open source wiper that I know is DBAN but that wipes the MBR and, as I understand it, that would prevent me from installing ArcaOS.

Can anyone help - please?

Paul

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Unable to install ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:14:35 am »
Hi Paul

My guess is that the partition was created by software that an OS/2 based system cannot work with.

The answer is to delete the partition and then recreate it. I would use DFSee - www.dfsee.com - to perform the partition deletion and creation; dfsee works fully but is time limited without any support unless you Register.

Regards

Pete

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:16:03 am »
Pete  Thanks. I d/l DFSee, deleted the Linux partitions and created a JFS partition.

Rebooted the ArcaOS installer and got to the Check Disk section which stated that some or all partitions are lacking LVM info - which is 'normal if the disk has not been reviously used with OS/2', so let the installer write the LVM info and rebooted. Got exactly the same thing - did this twice .

At Personalities, chose Single volume with default options, Simple Installation, no Target Volume shown so Disk Check again with same result.

I have used System Management and confirmed that the partition created was Primary, Startable and Unformatted.

So I'm stuck again.

Paul

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:47:12 am »
Hi Paul

Is the new partition JFS? - If "Yes" you need to change the partition type to Compatible as a JFS partition is not bootable.

Regards

Pete

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:13:02 am »
Pete

Do I use DFSee to do that? If so, where do I find it in the menus?

Paul

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:25:44 am »
I've deleted and re-created the partition. For a Simple Installation there is no entry in Target Volume. If I choose Manage Volumes what is shown is

C  size: 114.468MB File System:unformatted Type: Primary Notes: Advanced/LVM

When I hit Check Volumes the only volume shown to check is Z:(FAT), which I presume is the RAM disk for ArcaOS.

So I can't get past this point to format the disk.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:57:48 am »
Hi Paul,

Is your drive connected on SATA using AHCI ?  ( check under the bios )

Cheers/
Remy

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:28:30 am »
Remy

The specs for my hard drive interface type is ATA-5. Going into the BIOS System Configuration SATA Native Support is Enabled. The alternative setting is Disabled.

I can't see anything about AHCI.

Thanks
Paul

xynixme

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 12:18:05 pm »
I can't see anything about AHCI.

To try to summarize such questions and answers: what's the brand/model/type, if any, of the computer?

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 12:33:16 pm »
Andre

Model: Hewlett Packard DV6000z
CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-56 (1.8GHz/512×2 L2)
Memory: 2GB PC5300 DDR2 2 DIMMs 0 Open
Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM Seagate ST9120821AS
Motherboard: Quanta 30B8
Screen: 15.4″ WXGA Glossy
Optical Drive: LG GSA-4084N

GPU: 256MB Nvidia 7200 Go(64MB On Board & 192MB Shared)
Wireless: Broadcomm A/B/G with Bluetooth

Ports:

3 USB 2.0, Two Left-Side and One Right-Side
    5-in-1 Card Reader
    Ethernet

Paul

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 01:54:50 pm »
Hi Paul

I have not tried the Simple install as I know that will not work for me anyway.

Do you see at any stage a Manage Volumes button?

If "Yes" click that , delete the partition previously created and recreate it as a Compatible type.

Regards

Pete

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 02:42:23 pm »
Pete

Thanks. The disk checking utility didn't find any problems with the disk so I hit 'Manage Volumes', deleted and recreated the partition. It didn't provide a Compatible option but a Standard volume. Anyway that solved the problem and i was able to proceed. Am now on System Configuration. Thanks for your help. I hope everything else goes smoothly :-)

Paul

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 02:57:48 pm »
I think I spoke too soon.  The formatting and installation seemed to go well. I rebooted when requested and more files were copied.

Then I got a message "An error occurred during installation. Check %LOGFILES% ..."

I'm back in the System Management page but I'm not sure where the error logs are kept.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 03:25:15 pm »
Hi Paul

Usually somewhere like \var\logs - I cannot check at the moment as I am performing my umpteenth installation trying to get a basic working system that I am reasonably happy with.

Does not look like it will happen though.

Regards

Pete

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 12:44:06 am »
Pete

Sorry to hear you're having problems too.

A bit of an update: I looked in /var/log/ and typed Install.log. All it contained was the text of the message that the dialog box showed me i.e. "An error occurred during installation ...etc". There is a long list of files which I presume relate to installation of various features ending either with .L1 or .L2 e.g BASEIS, DESK, PRINT, TOOLS etc .

So I closed the DOS window and the System Management page and was left with an ArcaOS desktop containing icons for Computer, Network, Programs and Trash Can. So clearly most of ArcaOS has been installed.

I went through the various icons. In the Computer -> System Setup I found that Power was not installed ("..cannot load Advanced Power Management feature..") - not sure why, my PC supports this feature. Also Registry editor ("..Cannot start C:\OS2\SYSTEM\REGEDIT2.EXE.."

I seem to have a not-quite-complete installation. If you have any suggestions relating to the Power Management and Registry Editor issues I'd be glad to hear them :-)

I'm going to try and install some software now. Is there any way I can increase the resolution of my screen? I'm on 1024 x 768. I think the VESA driver was installed.

Paul