Author Topic: USB and Format Issues  (Read 6198 times)

Paolo_Ricardo

USB and Format Issues
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:19:35 am »
I am trying to transfer some MS-DOS programs to ArcaOS using a USB. If I format the USB in Windows as either NTFS or FAT32 then ArcaOS does not recognise the format. If I try and format as FAT32 in ArcaOS the operation fails.

So I thought I'd format the USB in Windows as FAT and try and read it in ArcaOS in a DOS command window. I can change to drive d:\ but when I try and, say, do a DIR on d:\ again the operation fails.

Is what I am tryng to do possible?

Paul

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Re: USB and Format Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:35:50 am »
To format USB flash or HDD to FAT32 you can use ReFormat utility
http://ecomstation.ru/projects/disktools/?action=reformat
it's shareware (subscription)

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:55:59 am »
Eugene

Thanks. i actually made a mistake. I opened the USB in an ArcaOS Command Prompt. When I opened in a DOS session the USB drive was visible and I was able to transfer the software.

Paul

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:56:25 pm »
2Paul Richards: If you able to see disk contents in DOS prompt, then in OS/2 command prompt it should be seen too. Did you assigned the LVM info to flash disk? If not, the disk will be inaccessible. You need to take DFSee from http://hobbes.nmsu.edu and assign a drive letter first.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:19:04 pm »
2Eugene Gorbunoff: How could reformat help him? Does it create the LVM info?

Anyway,  using DFSee, as I suggested above, is non-destructive. It only writes a DLAT sector before the boot sector. After you eject and insert again the flash stick, it will be mountable, and no need to format. Using reformat formats the stick, so, its contents will be lost. What if it is other user's flash stick and he is not agree to reformat it?