Author Topic: ArcaOS - Dell Inspiron 1300  (Read 15197 times)

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
Re: ArcaOS - Dell Inspiron 1300
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 11:26:34 am »
The problem I have with this PC and re-installing is that none of my USB mice are recognised - or rather they seem to work for a few seconds and then stop working altogether.  I had this problem installing the first time around, and I just accepted all the defaults in the hardware tree as I could not figure out how to navigate it by keyboard.  Once ArcaOS is installed, the mouse is recognised. So not sure I can progress this one any further.

I also have a Dell N5050 which I was using as my main Linux machine. I tried installing ArcaOS on that using your suggestions in the linked thread above.  The Wifi alas was not recognised even with the install genmac/uninstall/reinstall as the card is not recognised, but wired connections do work.

Problems on this one are:
No sound - using uniaud as none of the other choices seemed pertinent. I have set the maxvolume to 100 in the mmos2 in file (mmptn.ini? I forget - not at an ArcaOS machine right now).

Display - I selected SNAP but it does not recognise the WXGA display which is 1366x768.  I think that there is a way to make SNAP add that resolution but I could not figure it out. So for now the display is stretched horizontally, which is rather off-putting.

So anyway, for now I shall stick with the VirtualBox installation. It works pretty well for me and I get the benefit of wireless.

Thanks to you and everyone who helped out though - I learnt a lot on the way about OS/2 configuration. 

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 01:40:24 pm »
"gamode show" will show your currently available resolutions and device number
ie, device 0

To add a new resolution that is smaller or upto the same x and y values:
"gamode add <xres> <yres> <bits> [device]"

gamode can normally be found in your snap directory.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:03:41 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 05:19:22 pm »
The usual way to navigate without a mouse is to use tab (shift-tab to go the opposite way) to move from one field to another and the arrow keys to go through the list., pagedown and pageup might move to different pages.
If youu can't set your resolution with gamode, you will have to use Panorama and its panoutil.exe to force the resolution. That's all that works here.

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 06:03:53 pm »
"gamode show" will show your currently available resolutions and device number
ie, device 0

To add a new resolution that is smaller or upto the same x and y values:
"gamode add <xres> <yres> <bits> [device]"

gamode can normally be found in your snap directory.

Thank you, I'll give that a go over the weekend.  :)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:38 pm »
Hi

Uniaud sometimes needs a little "fiddling" - I have an old Acer laptop that has to run a setmixer.cmd at startup to actually turn on audio output and set volume levels.

Before trying to write such a cmd file though it is a good idea to check state of audio.
Run \mmos2\unimix > unimix_options.txt  in a command window for a list of options.
Run unimix -list > unimix_set.txt to get the current settings.
Open unimix_options.txt in the text editor to see what the unimix options are
Open unimix_options.txt to see if various options are set correctly.

By doing this I discovered that the Acer needed audio output turned on every boot as it seems that the audio card gets switched off automatically at shutdown.

Here is my simple cmd file as an example:-

REM setmixer.cmd                   
REM                                     
REM Purpose: setup audio mixer values
REM  id1 = Volume Control for both
REM  speakers, cnt0 & cnt1: set both
REM  to a value of 50

unimix -id1 -cnt0 -val50
unimix -id1 -cnt1 -val50
Exit

I discovered that the above cmd works best when it is called startup.cmd and left in the root of the boot drive.

Hope the above is of help.

Regards

Pete