Author Topic: ArcaOS keeps rebooting  (Read 44903 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: ArcaOS keeps rebooting
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2017, 10:03:27 pm »
And then there is an updated USBMSD.ADD. It's not only updated to support "large floppy".
I also spent considerable time in making it work more reliably with USB mass storage devices.
I'm well aware of your efforts to get "problematic" USB devices to mount reliably since we've discussed this privately. Others may not be aware of this, so it's good that you have provided a more thorough description of your driver's benefits. However, I don't have any problematic devices so I place more value on the stock driver's 3-second mount time vs the 10+ seconds it takes your driver.

It can be used with the AN stack without any problem or restrictions.
That's good to know. I was under the mistaken impression that USBMSD was subject to the same restrictions as the other USB components. I'll certainly give it another try to see if I can get it to recognize a big-floppy - try as I might, I couldn't using one of your betas from several months ago (operator error, perhaps).

the reason why nobody has yet written a utility for writing the DLAT sector is twofold: there are people who would jump into your face if say USBMSD.ADD would write something to their media without them knowing (large floppy support creates a fake  DLAT in memory therefore this is not a prob in this case).

And with good reason! However, that's not what I was whining about. I was bemoaning the lack of a simple utility to handle this common-enough problem without having to jump through hoops. I can't help but suspect that Jan could significantly enhance his revenue stream if he were to offer a $5 app whose sole purpose was to "condition" flash drives to work with OS/2.

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2017, 02:21:29 am »
Rich

Except in one particular circumstance, these drivers aren't going to resolve your issues (sorry, Lars).

Thanks once again for taking the time to explain the issues that I have been facing with using a USB stick. I (think) I now understand why I couldn't 'see' my USB drive via the Drives icon or via a Command prompt but was able to access it via a DOS prompt.

As I was using the USB (4 GB) to transfer files to and from my Windows laptop the 'non-visbility' is not a big issue as I have made all of the transfers that I need. The question now is whether I will be able to print using my USB HP printer.

My other priority is to get access to the internet. I need to spend some time trying to understand DHCP - it's the required IP addresses that confuse me.

Thanks also to Lars. I am not sufficiently confident in my own technical ability to replace AN's drivers with his.

Paul

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2017, 04:10:16 am »

My other priority is to get access to the internet. I need to spend some time trying to understand DHCP - it's the required IP addresses that confuse me.

Thanks also to Lars. I am not sufficiently confident in my own technical ability to replace AN's drivers with his.

Paul

That should have been your number one priority from the beginning ???  Now you installed all your programs again on a broken system.

Since you used the easy option, DHCP should just work. Or the router isn't setup up for it (should be default) or the wrong nic driver was installed.  Now you probably need to identify your card and see if it is supported.  Then, uninstall the current setup if it's incorrect and install the right driver.

You should probably post the specs of your system first before anything.

It would be alot easier to just zip your boot partition.  Wipe it again and install using the advance option.  Take 45-60 minutes to do instead of 6 days.  If not just unzip your backup, you tried it twice and got the same results, you should have been working on the Internet from the start ???

Better yet add a maintenance partition (M:) (use adv option) you should have one anyways. For example installing Lars drivers just unzip them to the maintenance/test partition and test the drivers out before installing on your main system, simple - You could use it to as practice too (just create a backup image first).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:39:27 am by Greggory Shaw »

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2017, 05:42:06 am »
Greggory

Here is an edited version of my system specs:

Model: HP DV6000z
CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-56 (1.8GHz/512×2 L2)
Memory: 2GB PC5300 DDR2 2 DIMMs 0 Open
Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM Seagate ST9120821AS
Motherboard: Quanta 30B8
Screen: 15.4? WXGA Glossy
Optical Drive: LG GSA-4084N

GPU: 256MB Nvidia 7200 Go(64MB On Board & 192MB Shared)

Wireless: Broadcomm A/B/G with Bluetooth
(ArcaOS identifies an Intel Pro/1000 MultiMac32-E100008 network adapter under Network Adapters and Protocols)

Inputs: 86 Key Keyboard, Two Button Touchpad with Left Side Scroll Device
Buttons: Power, QuickPlay, Play/Pause, Stop, FastFoward, Reverse, Mute, Volume Slider and TouchPad On/Off
Ports:

3 USB 2.0, Two Left-Side and One Right-Side
    5-in-1 Card Reader
    Ethernet
    Modem
    VGA
    S-Video
    Microphone
    2 Headphone Jacks, 1 S/PDIF
    Expansion Port 3
    IR Port
    AC Connector
    Security Lock

Slots: ExpressCard54 Slot
Other: 1.3 Megapixel Webcam and Microphone
Speakers: Altec Lansing

Paul

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2017, 11:57:27 pm »
Just an aside from my earlier comment about the Games not working. I think there might be a conflict with UNIAUD.

Although UNIAUD is installed I have no sound and dbl-clicking, say, Klondike Solitaire provokes no reaction.

REMming out UNIAUD16.SYS and UNIAUD32.SYS in CONFIG.SYS, when I dbl-click a game it starts up with a dialog box saying no sound driver (obviously) but I can then proceed with the game.

Paul