Author Topic: Thunderbird deletes local directory files (message storage)  (Read 6435 times)

Saenger39

For several years I've been using ECS 2.0 for E-mail, word processing, etc.  Thunderbird 31.8.0 is the version used in eCS.  For message storage I use a directory in a partition  different from the OS partition.  This week I installed ArcaOS, and set up my E-mail accounts in Thunderbird 38.8.0.  When I load incoming messages, the existing Inbox is deleted, and the new messages are stored in a file named INBOX-1.  I would like to be able to access my E-mail while using either eCS or AracOS.  Is there a method for allowing this?

Regards

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird deletes local directory files (message storage)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:37:11 pm »
From the readme in thunderbird:

===============================================================================
-- Compatibility Warning ------------------------------------------------------
===============================================================================

After using Firefox v4.0, Seamonkey v2.1, or Thunderbird v3.4 (or any later
version) your History and Cookies databases (places.sqlite & cookies.sqlite)
will NOT be compatible with earlier versions (i.e. FF3.6, SM2.0, or TB3.1).
A REXX script is available to restore compatibility.

* To preserve compatibility BEFORE running the new version:
  - download 'dbrestore.zip' from
      ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/dbrestore.zip
    or
      http://e-vertise.com/warpzilla/dbrestore.zip
  - unzip it into your profile directory
  - make backups of places.sqlite and cookies.sqlite

* To restore compatibilty BEFORE running an earlier version:
  - run the script from your profile directory.

* To restore compatibilty AFTER running an earlier version
  (i.e. you forgot to run the script before):
  - look for 'places.sqlite.corrupt' and 'cookies.sqlite.corrupt' in your
    profile directory,   If they appear to be the right size, remove the
    '.corrupt' extension after deleting the newly-created versions.
  - run the script
  - if your history and cookies aren't restored, use your backup copies.
Saludos

Saenger39

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 01:15:20 am »
I'm not sure this applies, since both versions of TB (31.8.0 and 38.8.0) are newer than the old version mentioned in the readme:  3.1.

Regards

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 03:28:50 am »
For several years I've been using ECS 2.0 for E-mail, word processing, etc.  Thunderbird 31.8.0 is the version used in eCS.  For message storage I use a directory in a partition  different from the OS partition.  This week I installed ArcaOS, and set up my E-mail accounts in Thunderbird 38.8.0.  When I load incoming messages, the existing Inbox is deleted, and the new messages are stored in a file named INBOX-1.  I would like to be able to access my E-mail while using either eCS or AracOS.  Is there a method for allowing this?

Regards

That's weird. I've jumped back and forth a lot between eCS 2.1 and ArcaOS (various betas and the GA), though usually with TB38.8 until I built 45 and while I had problems with the summary files being deleted due to changes in available fonts, my inbox and sub-folders have been fine.
I take it you adjusted MOZILLA_HOME in Arcaos to point at your old profile. All I can think of is that there is some kind of corruption in your old inbox. Have you compacted it lately?
There were changes in the way summary files work which broke downgrading but should only force rebuilding the summary file.
Really you should update the Thunderbird you use on eCS or point ArcaOS to your old Thunderbird if you prefer it.
And always back up your profile regularly and especially when updating.

Saenger39

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 06:34:51 pm »

Regards

That's weird. I've jumped back and forth a lot between eCS 2.1 and ArcaOS (various betas and the GA), though usually with TB38.8 until I built 45 and while I had problems with the summary files being deleted due to changes in available fonts, my inbox and sub-folders have been fine.
I take it you adjusted MOZILLA_HOME in Arcaos to point at your old profile. All I can think of is that there is some kind of corruption in your old inbox. Have you compacted it lately?
There were changes in the way summary files work which broke downgrading but should only force rebuilding the summary file.
Really you should update the Thunderbird you use on eCS or point ArcaOS to your old Thunderbird if you prefer it.
And always back up your profile regularly and especially when updating.
I didn't change MOZILLA_HOME until I read your reply; it now points to the eCS profile.  [MOZILLA_HOME=F:\Home]  Additionally, I've been remiss in compacting the inboxes.  I compacted, again - after reading your reply.  I booted into ArcaOS, and started Thunderbird.  It came up as having no mail accounts.  What I'll do next is do a backup of my E-mail, then initiate accounts in ArcaOS.  Or is there something else that is preferable to get the mail accessible from both eCS and ArcaOS?

Regards

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 06:56:04 pm »
As long as the set MOZILLA_HOME= in config.sys points to the same place, it should just work. You may have to rebuild the summary files, which might restore various deleted messages etc if you haven't compacted.
You can rebuild the summary files by right clicking on the folder in TB and choosing properties-->repair folder. Or deleting the msf files in your profile.

Saenger39

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:18:31 am »
Operator error!  I should have had 'MOZILLA_HOME=F:\home\default'.  But there is still a problem.  When I execute TB 38.8.0 in ArcaOS, a window pops up with the message 'Checking add-ons for compatibility' then TB comes up, but it crashes after a couple of seconds.  What procedure do I use to get crash data?

Regards

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 05:04:12 am »
Look in your Thunderbird directory for trp files, look in popuplog.os2 in the root of whatever system you were running at the time of the crash for any entries related to Thunderbird.
You really shouldn't be switching versions all the time. Lightning is compiled for one version and will fail if run from a different version. I'd suggest picking one, preferably the latest and pointing all your Thunderbird program objects at it.

Saenger39

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:09:49 pm »
Look in your Thunderbird directory for trp files, look in popuplog.os2 in the root of whatever system you were running at the time of the crash for any entries related to Thunderbird.
You really shouldn't be switching versions all the time. Lightning is compiled for one version and will fail if run from a different version. I'd suggest picking one, preferably the latest and pointing all your Thunderbird program objects at it.
I didn't find any pertinent trp files, and popuplog.os2 didn't have any recent entries.  I edited the config.sys in F: [eCS] to MOZILLA_HOME=J:\HOME, and booted into ArcaOS.  When I executed TB (no crash), a number of messages were loaded, but the Inbox file disappeared, and was replaced by a much smaller INBOX-1 file.  The messages started at about the middle of May.  There was similar behavior for the Sent file.  With this puzzling behavior I'm thinking that perhaps I should delete the accounts in ArcaOS and re-create them.

Regards