Author Topic: OS/2 Warp 4.52 LVM problems  (Read 6495 times)

lorecast162

OS/2 Warp 4.52 LVM problems
« on: June 12, 2017, 05:44:41 pm »
I wanted to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 clienton my old P2-350 machine.
My problem is that when i create the volume that OS2 is going to be installed in just doesn't want to be made bootable.
When i select Create volume I select "Create a volume that can be made bootable", C:, "OS2" as a name, select my HDD, select "free space", the name is "[ A ]", and size is 19592 MB, and then it says "The requested action was not successful: The selected partition can not be made bootable" and it goes back to the disk selection screen to create the volume.
I never used OS/2 before but I really want to try it on real HW.
Can someone help me?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Warp 4.52 LVM problems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:27:58 pm »

and size is 19592 MB, and then it says "The requested action was not successful: The selected partition can not be made bootable" and it goes back to the disk selection screen to create the volume.
Can someone help me?

I believe Warp 4.52 (or is that v4 anyone ?) needs to be updated for large HDs, try making the boot partition less than 8 GB that may work.

If not you need to update the install disks, there should be instructions somewhere in the forum or ask Martin (webmaster here).

Since you have a copy already, you may try this one (it maybe updated, now sure).

https://winworldpc.com/product/os-2-warp-4/os-2-warp-452

Or the disk may just first need to be prepared using - https://www.dfsee.com/

Greggory

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:44:28 pm »

and size is 19592 MB, and then it says "The requested action was not successful: The selected partition can not be made bootable" and it goes back to the disk selection screen to create the volume.
Can someone help me?

I believe Warp 4.52 (or is that v4 anyone ?) needs to be updated for large HDs, try making the boot partition less than 8 GB that may work.

If not you need to update the install disks, there should be instructions somewhere in the forum or ask Martin (webmaster here).

Since you have a copy already, you may try this one (it maybe updated, now sure).

https://winworldpc.com/product/os-2-warp-4/os-2-warp-452

Or the disk may just first need to be prepared using - https://www.dfsee.com/

Greggory

I installed OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 2 (4.52) both yesterday and today on a 60GB disk, using the original CDs.

ak120

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 01:01:40 am »
I installed OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 2 (4.52) both yesterday and today on a 60GB disk, using the original CDs.

The Convenience Package 2 for OS/2 Warp was available in 2 different media sets. Not sure about every NLS version, but at least for US and German. The later ones  have a newer loader/kernel to deal better with Pentium 4 or newer processors - but no differences in DASD support. The limit for ATA hard drives should be at 120 GB with the included IBM1S506.ADD. SCSI (or RAID) connected units are not affected by this.

karotlopj

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:32:13 pm »

The Convenience Package 2 for OS/2 Warp was available in 2 different media sets. Not sure about every NLS version, but at least for US and German. The later ones  have a newer loader/kernel to deal better with Pentium 4 or newer processors - but no differences in DASD support. The limit for ATA hard drives should be at 120 GB with the included IBM1S506.ADD. SCSI (or RAID) connected units are not affected by this.

Thanks for this info Andreas. How do I identify which CP I have and do the different versions of IBM1S506.ADD  have different version numbers? I tend to include the '/v' switch with IBM1S506.ADD so I can see which version I'm running. Also, I'm confused as to when to use DANIS506.ADD as a replacement.

ak120

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 06:15:18 pm »
How do I identify which CP I have

The first option is to check the part number of the CD-ROM media.
If you don't want to eject the CD simply look at the file \os2image\disk_2\syslevel.os2 which contains for german CP
XRG4502 or XRG4503 for the refresh (April 2002). When the OS is already installed you can simply run the command SYSLEVEL.

and do the different versions of IBM1S506.ADD  have different version numbers? I tend to include the '/v' switch with IBM1S506.ADD so I can see which version I'm running. Also, I'm confused as to when to use DANIS506.ADD as a replacement.
bldlevel C:\os2\boot\ibm1s506.add

The same should also work with DANIS506.ADD.