Author Topic: Recommendations: File Managers?  (Read 7725 times)

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
Recommendations: File Managers?
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:28 pm »
I was looking around for different file managers for OS/2 and figured I'd ask here to see what others recommend.

I've used FC/2 in the past and I seem to remember others were out there, but I can't remember any of them.

What do you use? What's still being supported (if any)?.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations: File Managers?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:14:31 pm »
The best command line file manger is FC/2. If you like to have more GUI, then there's the WPS. If you won't bother with all the bugs of the WPS, then FM/2 (File Manager/2) is an option. Another recommendable GUI FM is Larsen Commander.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:25:10 pm »
FC/2 by Brian Havard has been my go app for over 15 years and is worth the cost to register.  FM/2 is also available as a manager, but was more complicated than I needed.
Matt

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:59:34 pm »
Here we use File Freedom http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/browser/filef202.zip as out standard file manager.  It is simple, lightweight and does the job managing files, viewing the contents of zip files etc.  The only slight drawback is that it does not show the correct file size for files over 2.1 GB - something to do with it being written in 1999 I think.

(I have the source code but am not a programmer.  If anyone would like to look it over let me know)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:27:11 pm by ivan »

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:00:16 pm »
I personally use Filestar a lot I have used all the others and I am content to use Filestar. It has more features than anyof them. FC/2 is good too to use for the command line.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 04:03:15 am »
I use Filestar - http://www.ecsoft2.org/filestar2-flexedit

And FM/2 is actively being developed still - http://trac.netlabs.org/fm2

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 05:35:04 am »
I love Larsen Commander...but I only wish it was more "WPS-ish"...LOL, meaning, it sticks pretty well to the Norton Commander interface, and as such - at least I haven't found a way to change it - it will not accept things like "CTRL" or "SHIFT" to select a filename or group of files for an operation...grrh....LOL, again, I love the GUI, incredibly well done...and options galore!!!

rbri

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:59:54 am »
FM/2 is in use here since ages. You will need some time to get the transformation from the NortenCommander idea but after that you will fall in love with this tool. Integrated wit the WPS, D&D everywhere, zillions of features, customizable and extendable.

ak120

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 10:18:32 am »
Nowadays there are not much options. File Commander/2 (FC/2) was already mentioned. It may sound strange but I recommend to use the later versions only in a WPS environment. So be not surprised about data losses when running in a PM-only environment. For the most basic tasks it works but tends to consume a lot of resources. Additionally the support for archivers is not as good as it could be. Some of the shortcomings can be avoided by using external tools.

In my opinion the only alternative is DOS Navigator (DN/2 Open Source). But it will need more time for customisation because there is a huge amount of bells and whistles. Fortunately the archiver support is more advanced which makes it possible to copy a whole directory structure into a Zip archive for instance. It also recognises and handles self extracting archive files. That's not everything you can access bundle files (OS/2 native archives created with pack) and diskette image files.

The third option would be the file manager which is simply called F. The user interface is different but similar to IBM E editors (EPM) and also offers a own command language. http://filemanager.free.fr/beta/index.htm

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 03:59:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies and recommendations. I've decided to install the all of them and just try them out, figure out which one suits me best and go with that.