Author Topic: Lenovo ThinkPad 25 specs and pictures leaked ahead of launch  (Read 21798 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Lenovo ThinkPad 25 specs and pictures leaked ahead of launch
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
I think this is neat. I like the 'eraser head' track pin. I like it better than using the touchpad. I am still trying to get used to a touchpad but I prefer using a mouse; wireless nowadays. Perhaps call it retro?
https://liliputing.com/2017/09/lenovo-thinkpad-25-specs-pictures-leaked-ahead-launch.html

8)
BigGoofyGuy

Dennis Smith

• View Profile
Re: Lenovo ThinkPad 25 specs and pictures leaked ahead of launch
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »
I was expecting a little more retro out of the 25th Anniversary Thinkpad.  Adding the multi-color Thinkpad emblem and a blue enter key on an existing model doesn't sound like much effort was put forth by Lenovo.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 06:13:29 pm »
What?  Seriously?!?  This is the specially engineered retro design ThinkPad that Lenovo's been working on for two years under a veil of secrecy?  Surely not... as you say, it looks like basically a current model with the usual rubbish keyboard replaced by a proper one.

I seriously hope this is just a different system.

I'll soon or later need something to replace my W500.  I was hoping the reto ThinkPad could be it. I'm desperately holding out hope for Lenovo to bring back a usable (i.e. non-16:9) screen.  If not, then I have bought my last ThinkPad, because I categorically refuse to ever buy a (productivity) laptop with 16:9.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 07:26:22 pm »
...because I categorically refuse to ever buy a (productivity) laptop with 16:9.

Hi Alex, just curious. Are you looking for a brand that sells a new laptop with a 4:3 screen ratio display? Does thast exists? Or do you prefer other aspect ratios than 16:9 and 4:3.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:30:48 pm »
By the way. Here it is the only official word about the "Thinkpad Retro" from a Lenovo Blog.
http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/retro-thinkpad-its-alive/
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 08:52:46 pm »
Martin,

16:9 screen ratios are useless in any size less than a 28 inch screen, not enough height to do any useful work (they were designed for TVs to let them display wide screen films).

A 16:10 screen is better, those extra pixels in height make all the difference but, if they are used in a laptop (or desktop monitor) they up the price to stupid levels assuming you can find one.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:49:10 pm »
16:9 screen ratios are useless in any size less than a 28 inch screen, not enough height to do any useful work (they were designed for TVs to let them display wide screen films).

Personally, I LOVE the 16:9 screens that Lenovo put on the T510 and L530 ThinkPads. They are 1600x900 pixels, not the 1366x768 junk, that really is pretty useless. You do need to watch the options, and get the right thing. Panorama works well with them.

FWIW, my sister has a 16:9, 23 inch, LG screen, that is 2560x1440 pixels (or something like that). I haven't seen one of them, on the market, for a long time. Too bad, because it looks great.

As for a "retro" ThinkPad, I would watch the specs, very carefully. My bet is that they only LOOK like an old IBM ThinkPad, but contain modern, too smart for it's own good, electronics.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 02:21:23 am »
...because I categorically refuse to ever buy a (productivity) laptop with 16:9.

Hi Alex, just curious. Are you looking for a brand that sells a new laptop with a 4:3 screen ratio display? Does thast exists? Or do you prefer other aspect ratios than 16:9 and 4:3.

I don't insist on 4:3 specifically.  16:10 (and the new 3:2 trend that seems to be appearing in some segments) are also OK. 

However, in my considered view, 16:9 on anything less than an 18" screen is unusable for anything other than watching DVDs and playing games.  (I'm OK with 16:9 desktop monitors, because they're large enough to provide a usable vertical workspace. Laptops, though... no.)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 05:27:31 pm »
There is also one in The Register with over 100 comments.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/05/lenovo_retro_thinkpad_25th_anniversary/

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 07:55:32 pm »
I will get mine on Tuesday or Wednesday  8)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 11:44:59 am »
Here it is  8)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 04:40:43 pm »
That's great Sigurd. Please post your review when you try ArcaOS on it.  Once you have it please give me full details to be added on the OS2World Wiki.

Thansk
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:07 pm »
Hi Martin,

I just realized the best of it: One can disable SecureBoot and it does have a CSM - so OS/2 is possible!!!

I will not install ArcaOS but my own OS/2 Version, as it does really look and feel like OS/2 Warp 4 ::)

In short: this is the best ThinkPad I have ever used!

It will take some time!

warpsalad

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 01:48:12 am »
My reservations against the TP 25 are pretty much the same as a lot of users of traditional thinkpads:
#1 Lenovo lies and state they can't produce a custom screen and instead use rather low-end 16:9 AUO panels, when you know... EIZO has, heck, not only 4:3 but 1:1 displays:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1138908-REG/eizo_ev2730qfx_bk_thin_bezel_26_5_tft.html

#2 The performance of the TP 25 is so abysmal that it's no better than my 4th gen X1 Carbon, and the carbon is a lot more compact.

#3 Lenovo's reasoning on the dimensions on the keyboard are strange (in regards as to why they had to make the travel shorter). I can easily sandwich a classic keyboard on my X1 Carbon, the depth of the T470 chassis would suffice as it's pretty thick!
---
I just think Lenovo made a lot of mistakes when trying to get this product out; not to mention the fact David Hill abandoned ship prior to the release. Really strange timing--could be coincidental but, ah well. There will be some people in-between the hardcore IBM Thinkpadists and modern chiclet users who will be fine with it.

I will not install ArcaOS but my own OS/2 Version, as it does really look and feel like OS/2 Warp 4 ::)
ArcaOS has a lot of critical improvements to the way OS/2 works, though. Such as the CPU throttling and management. You can always mod ArcaOS to look like Warp 4--and then retain all of the new enhancements.