Author Topic: Moved to UltraFibre 120 Mb/s but OS/2 chugs at 10 Mb/s...???  (Read 71509 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: Moved to UltraFibre 120 Mb/s but OS/2 chugs at 10 Mb/s...???
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2018, 03:03:51 pm »
Here are my results on a 125Mbit line:

Code: [Select]
[G:\tmp]python speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Cogeco Cable (24.57.68.234)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by MNSi Telecom (Windsor, ON) [3.24 km]: 38.167 ms
Testing download speed..........................................................
Download: 109.61 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed............................................................
Upload: 6.79 Mbit/s

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2018, 02:21:54 pm »
I did new tests... (use of DHCP in both test from default install)

Booting ArcaOS disk -> speed test nearly 10Mbps

I then did a test installing ArcaOS into Virtualbox (using default "NAT mode" Virtualbox network driver then the native installation one without virtualbox) under windows 7 -> speed test gives nearly 58Mbps !!

For me it looks the native driver used with my onboard network card (RealtekĀ® 8111G Gigabit LAN) is not well working and is the culprit of bad speed. The driver has to be corrected and is buggy and this test confirms other tests I already did. 

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 05:23:48 pm »
I did new tests... (use of DHCP in both test from default install)

Booting ArcaOS disk -> speed test nearly 10Mbps

I then did a test installing ArcaOS into Virtualbox (using default "NAT mode" Virtualbox network driver then the native installation one without virtualbox) under windows 7 -> speed test gives nearly 58Mbps !!

For me it looks the native driver used with my onboard network card (RealtekĀ® 8111G Gigabit LAN) is not well working and is the culprit of bad speed. The driver has to be corrected and is buggy and this test confirms other tests I already did. 

But how do you know this is NOT the IP stack of OS/2 ?

* With my Intel E1000B.OS2 driver I get about 25 megabyte per second over my local LAN to a Linux server.

* Speedtest.net indicates a 100 megabit and 67 megabit upload speed via the internet.

* I have a website I only get 350 KB per second from. Windows delivers 6.4 megabyte per second to the same website. Now here in the interesting, I repeated the test and hooked up a ethernet  to wifi adapter and setup my mobile phone as wifi hotspot to connect to the same website. Guess what its faster then 350 KB second!
So purely changing the data path shows the issue can also have todo with the IP stack somehow. Tracing that is part 2!

I am currently looking at IP trace and wireshark to see if something is going wrong with packet processing!
Like re-transmits or packets out of sync.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:32:57 pm by Roderick Klein »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2018, 10:13:36 pm »
You can give a try to this "speedtest' too
https://openspeedtest.com/Get-widget.php

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2018, 12:14:26 am »
You can give a try to this "speedtest' too
https://openspeedtest.com/Get-widget.php

I get very low upload of only 2 megabit. That said I have no clue where this server is located. Also take into account that you also need to know where your download test server is located on the globe. In this case the speedtest.net I use is about 20 KM away. So does test resulsts do not say me anything.

Do they have local server around the globe or just one server ?
Running an IP trace I get 18 hopes... I get send over to Texas to the IP adress 45.79.12.7.
But this is not even the end of the trace route. Anyay for a European user a pretty bad example to use for speedtest in my opinion.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2018, 01:43:08 am »
speedtest-cli will find the closest server, based on ping. Not the most accurate as it claims the server is only 1.55 km away, when Vancouver is 80 kms away, perhaps 100km by fibre.
E:\test>python speedtest-cli
Testing from Telus Communications (209.52.88.204)...
Hosted by Skyway West Business Internet Services (Vancouver, BC) [1.55 km]: 56.0
 ms
Testing download speed..........................................................
Download: 22.92 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed............................................................
Upload: 2.20 Mbit/s

Not too bad for wireless LTE connection. Gets much slower in the evening when everyone is watching netflix etc.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2018, 01:45:58 am »
@Remy. Which driver are you using? It might be worth trying some alternatives and/or opening an issue at Arca Noae. I'm currently using a RealtekĀ® 8111 Gigabit LAN or such and get not bad speeds with the mmre driver but I understand Realtek changes things often and sometimes different drivers are better.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2018, 09:01:00 am »
Installed driver:
MMRE RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:11:41 am by Remy »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2018, 03:55:51 pm »
I changed the driver for "Realtek 8169/1Gb PCIe MAC Driver"
Now, I have 25Mbps which nearly 2 times faster than the MMRE driver but always slower than under windows or using the network driver for under virtualbox.

Updt: above tests where done from under firefox.
(With the MMRE driver, I didn't see any noticeable speed difference from firefox test or under an os/2 window)

I just  tested the ""Realtek 8169/1Gb PCIe MAC Driver"" from under an OS/2 window and this driver is definitively the good one to use because I could get a 56Mbps download speed and 5Mbps upload which is now a good value due having just do a test under windows and currently, my download speed is nearly 58Mbps (one of the lowest speed I had using the same hosted speedtest server)

===================================================
[C:\speedtest]python speedtest-cli
Testing from Bouygues Telecom .......
Hosted by ONLINE S.A.S. (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [20.07 km]: 16.333 ms
Testing download speed.......................
Download: 56.11 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed............................
Upload: 5.10 Mbit/s
===================================================

From under firefox (the one under ArcaOS 38, the speed didn't go above 25Mbps !
Firefox looks to be a bottleneck now...

(I tested again the speed using the MMRE driver and get 9.8Mbps !)

Thanks having suggested me to use the other available driver I didn't try.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:26:57 am by Remy »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 01:47:56 am »
I just installed firefox 45.9 and the speed botleneck from ff38 seems to be resolved.
Under ff45.9, the speed test result is very simlar to speetest cli os/2 prompt cmd.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2018, 07:09:55 pm »
Hi,

I did more test during my last updates and found an interresting thing...
When putting the MMRE driver before the FXWRAP (injoy firewall) driver, the speed increases a lot.
For those using IJFW, I suggest them having the FXWRAP device after the network device like :
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\MACS\MMRE.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\FXWRAP.SYS

After doing this, the speed is mutch better (34Mbps) and stopping the IJFW server, the speed goes up to 56Mbps now...   

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2018, 06:24:19 am »
Hi Remy,

When putting the MMRE driver before the FXWRAP (injoy firewall) driver, the speed increases a lot.
For those using IJFW, I suggest them having the FXWRAP device after the network device

The FXWRAP driver is ment to come after the NIC driver to the outside/external/unprotected enviroment but before the NIC driver to the inside/internal/protected network, otherwise the firewall cannot do its job 100%.

example:

DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\MACS\MMALC.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\FXWRAP.SYS /S
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\MACS\E1000.OS2

MMALC.OS2 is for the NIC connected to my external modem/router
FXWRAP.SYS is the InJoy firewall driver that will intercept the datastream from MMALC.OS2 and establish itself before the driver the the internal network is loaded.
E1000.OS2 is for the NIC connected to my internal network.

Added: Putting another driver with software between interfaces will also slow down a system depending on how much grunt your system has and the number of firewall rules. Just something we live with for the added protection.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:27:13 am by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2018, 11:58:41 am »
Hi,

I have been following the thread. I am using the MMRE driver for my RTL 8110 xE fast express Ethernet (device:8136h). I have for a few years ago also slow upload/download. I have at that time just bought Injoy Firewall and running Ecomstation 2.1 and could not figure out why my net performance was poor compared to Windows and Linux on same PC. I reported it to Bitwise and it turns out that Firewall was the issue. I needed to adjust the  firewall priority to 100. Since then I have the same performance on all OS Windows/Linux and ArcaOS.

I am using latest MMRE driver.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2018, 02:47:16 pm »
Hi,

I have been following the thread. I am using the MMRE driver for my RTL 8110 xE fast express Ethernet (device:8136h). I have for a few years ago also slow upload/download. I have at that time just bought Injoy Firewall and running Ecomstation 2.1 and could not figure out why my net performance was poor compared to Windows and Linux on same PC. I reported it to Bitwise and it turns out that Firewall was the issue. I needed to adjust the  firewall priority to 100. Since then I have the same performance on all OS Windows/Linux and ArcaOS.

I am using latest MMRE driver.

Thanks for your advice, I never tried to put priority to 100 due it is writtent it could have bad effect...
I'll give it a try.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2018, 03:38:16 pm »
I did the test, setting ijfw to priority 100 didn't provide my any speed gain : same as priority 40