OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Mail-News

PMMail 3.22 and SMTP authentication...can it do that?

(1/4) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
I have an absolutely ancient version of PMMail here, lol, 2.00.1500, but it's been working fine for years now and with all my written SPAM and email filters I just never felt like I needed to upgrade.

Well....that time has apparently come. I just moved from a DSL to Fibre ISP provider. I want to preserve access to my DSL email account (which the DSL provider is happy to do for me) but now that I am no longer on their domain I need an email client that does SMTP authentication. My current version does NOT. It simply accepts the SMTP server name and port number, but nothing beyond that. It does have the option to do POP, but my email provider does not.

Sooo....that implies I need to find a new email client. I would prefer to stay with PMMail, although the current license deal seems a tad strange...sorry, VOICE membership required first? Why do I need to do this given that I am already paying (or have paid) other license costs (either specific applications, or stuff like AN, etc, etc...but that's a different conversation altogether).

The other option I have is to try the Mozilla/Seamonkey/Thunderbird thing.

Back to the PMMail question then: can someone confirm that the outbound SMTP email option provides authentication?

Thanks!

Neil Waldhauer:
I'm actually running an alpha of 3.23, but nothing about SMTP has changed since 3.22.

PMMail/2 allows connection to SMTP server using username and password. It also allows ESMTP options AUTH DIGEST-MD5 and AUTH CRAM-MD5.

For those who use a non-secure SMTP server, that works, too.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---I just never felt like I needed to upgrade.
--- End quote ---

You just don't know what you are missing...

--- Quote ---Sooo....that implies I need to find a new email client. I would prefer to stay with PMMail, although the current license deal seems a tad strange...sorry, VOICE membership required first? Why do I need to do this given that I am already paying (or have paid) other license costs (either specific applications, or stuff like AN, etc, etc...but that's a different conversation altogether).
--- End quote ---

Paid? For what? You paid for version 2.x, which was owned by somebody else. VOICE bought the rights, so they have the right to charge a fee for their work on version 3.x. PMMail is actually a bonus for being a member of VOICE, nothing more. The proceeds are used to support OS/2, in many ways, and VOICE is a non profit organization that very much deserves support. BTW, ALL work done to PMMail is done by volunteers.

Please see http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php?title=PMMail_for_OS/2 for the details.

guzzi:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on October 11, 2017, 07:10:22 pm ---

Paid? For what? You paid for version 2.x, which was owned by somebody else. VOICE bought the rights, so they have the right to charge a fee for their work on version 3.x. PMMail is actually a bonus for being a member of VOICE, nothing more. The proceeds are used to support OS/2, in many ways, and VOICE is a non profit organization that very much deserves support. BTW, ALL work done to PMMail is done by volunteers.

Please see http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php?title=PMMail_for_OS/2 for the details.

--- End quote ---

To clarify this, since VOICE is now a Dutch based 'stichting', it no longer has members, therefore PMMail is of course no longer exclusive for members. From the VOICE bylaws: "A PMMail/2 licence is free for those who have been at least two consecutive years a VOICE sponsor with one standard sponsor unit per year and for board members. Others can obtain a PMMail/2 licence by donating two standard sponsor units to VOICE."

As Doug mentioned, the income from sales of sponsorunits is mostly used for funding software development, some funds go to sponsoring Warpstock Europe. The board does NOT get any renumeration. In previous years, some board members got free admission to Warpstock, next year this will not be the case. We care about the platform and the users and dedicate all of the income of VOICE to promotion and support. The board pays for stamps when having to send snail mail out of their own pockets).

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hey Doug!

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on October 11, 2017, 07:10:22 pm ---...Paid? For what? You paid for version 2.x, which was owned by somebody else. VOICE bought the rights, so they have the right to charge a fee for their work on version 3.x. PMMail is actually a bonus for being a member of VOICE, nothing more...
--- End quote ---

Oh, I'm afraid you missunderstood what I wrote.

I do not have a problem paying for a product...no sir, happy to pay for my 3.x PMMail upgrade. What I do not understand is this requirement to purchase a VOICE membership and then pay once again for the product. If I have no desire to be a VOICE member then why am I being forced to pay for it?

It really is THAT simple...nothing more to it...let me pay for the product I purchase, that's all I'm asking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version