OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Mail-News

PMMail 3.22 and SMTP authentication...can it do that?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on October 12, 2017, 05:24:21 am ---Hey Doug!

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on October 11, 2017, 07:10:22 pm ---...Paid? For what? You paid for version 2.x, which was owned by somebody else. VOICE bought the rights, so they have the right to charge a fee for their work on version 3.x. PMMail is actually a bonus for being a member of VOICE, nothing more...
--- End quote ---

Oh, I'm afraid you missunderstood what I wrote.

I do not have a problem paying for a product...no sir, happy to pay for my 3.x PMMail upgrade. What I do not understand is this requirement to purchase a VOICE membership and then pay once again for the product. If I have no desire to be a VOICE member then why am I being forced to pay for it?

It really is THAT simple...nothing more to it...let me pay for the product I purchase, that's all I'm asking.

--- End quote ---

I also think the above was done for fiscal/legal reasons. If we would sell PMMAIL as product  that might work out differently for the Dutch IRS.  Then again I discussed this with a public notary the product we sell does not really compete with anybody in the market space. Nobody offers a commercial mail client for OS/2...

Best regards,

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

guzzi:
I really don't understand the issue. If one wants to obtain PMMail, sponsor 50 dollars to VOICE. Regard it as buying, and the 50 as the price. Simple as that. You do not become a member, because a Dutch 'stichting' does not have members, you don't have any obligations. Your money will be well spent, it will all flow back into software development, Warpstock and promotional activities (the latter usually don't cost any money). As Roderick and I said, there is -no- overhead, all received funds go the goals set in the VOICE statutes. Not 50%, not 70%, not 99%, the full 100%. You may not agree with which software VOICE sponsors, but hey, if you buy a program from a software vendor your money will only benefit this vendor, not the community as a whole. PMMail is an incentive to sponsor VOICE, by sponsoring VOICE one sponsors the viability of the platform. Remember, without VOICE there would likely not have been a fairly current Firefox, Java, QT4 etc.

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Guys!

Wow...all of a sudden it got pretty hot in here...hmm...???

Look, it is fairly difficult to arrive at the same conclusions based on all what has been stated in this thread by simply looking at the PMMail Voice website instead (http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php?title=PMMail_for_OS/2). So to all of you who provided the behind-the-scenes background, thank you, I get it and while I still wish that we simply had a software product license to purchase instead, I understand why it is being done that particular way today.

I contribute to products and have in the past made sponsorship donations...so I'm no stranger to this and quite frankly am happy to do so. Case in point, $50 USD donation was made to VOICE today, I am supposed to be getting my PMMail 3.22 license key tomorrow...and to make that upgrade from 2.00.1500 to 3.22 a reality I will start a separate thread in this group and seek your advice regarding the specifics.

xynixme:

--- Quote from: guzzi on October 13, 2017, 02:52:23 am ---PMMail is an incentive to sponsor VOICE
--- End quote ---

</silence>No matter which stories, excuses and arguments people and VOICE are trying to use to justify a weird construction, this type of tying is illegal according to their Dutch competition laws (Mededingingswet). Buy VOICE's product once, and VOICE has the freedom to use its turnover to sponsor itself. It would be as simple as that, without offending potential users by making them support any irrelevant organization with illegal sales constructions.

And, of course, it's bogus that a Dutch foundation has no members (leden). If you are a member of a community which was forced to support VOICE, then - in Dutch - you are a member of VOICE. You'll never be invited for a member's meeting, but e.g. VOICE can say that you are a member of VOICE. Strictly: a member of a group. If you have a commercial AN Software Subscription, then in Dutch you're a member of AN.

In a nutshell: just sell the product as a stand-alone product, perhaps allow others to become a reseller too, and use the proceeds to sponsor the owner of the product. That's legal, normal, not as weird as having to support VOICE directly, and quite easy...<silence>

guzzi:

--- Quote from: guzzi on October 13, 2017, 02:52:23 am ---PMMail is an incentive to sponsor VOICE
--- End quote ---

</silence>No matter which stories, excuses and arguments people and VOICE are trying to use to justify a weird construction, this type of tying is illegal according to their Dutch competition laws (Mededingingswet). Buy VOICE's product once, and VOICE has the freedom to use its turnover to sponsor itself. It would be as simple as that, without offending potential users by making them support any irrelevant organization with illegal sales constructions.

And, of course, it's bogus that a Dutch foundation has no members (leden). If you are a member of a community which was forced to support VOICE, then - in Dutch - you are a member of VOICE. You'll never be invited for a member's meeting, but e.g. VOICE can say that you are a member of VOICE. Strictly: a member of a group. If you have a commercial AN Software Subscription, then in Dutch you're a member of AN.

In a nutshell: just sell the product as a stand-alone product, perhaps allow others to become a reseller too, and use the proceeds to sponsor the owner of the product. That's legal, normal, not as weird as having to support VOICE directly, and quite easy...<silence>
[/quote]

Falsely accusing a legal entity of illegal activities constitutes slander. Your comments here are crossing the line of common decency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version