OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Mail-News

PMMail 3.22 and SMTP authentication...can it do that?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Doug Bissett:
[quoteI do not have a problem paying for a product...no sir, happy to pay for my 3.x PMMail upgrade. What I do not understand is this requirement to purchase a VOICE membership and then pay once again for the product. If I have no desire to be a VOICE member then why am I being forced to pay for it?][/quote]

That whole procedure was changed. You will need to read the new instructions (which I, admit to not doing).

The reason why it was done like that, was that those who were members when VOICE bought the rights were the ones that paid for those rights, so they were grandfathered into getting PMMail. Those who joined after the purchase were charged for the program. Since VOICE tries to keep the costs down, they decided to just have the user pay twice for a membership, rather than having to pay the banks (or, whoever) for a whole new method to collect money for PMMail. They already had to pay to collect memberships. Now that the whole operation has moved to the Netherlands, the rules have changed, and so has qualifying for PMMail, but you still need to be a sponsor of VOICE. PMMail is, after all, a bonus for supporting VOICE (which you really do want to support, since they support OS/2).

--- Quote ---It really is THAT simple...nothing more to it...let me pay for the product I purchase, that's all I'm asking.
--- End quote ---

Well, no it isn't that simple. When VOICE bought the rights to PMMail, the board decided that it would be a bonus for those who support VOICE. After all, they own it, so they can say how they will use it, and if you want PMMail, you become a supporter of VOICE (at least for one year). The PMMail license doesn't end, if you decide not to support VOICE, but it does make it that much harder for VOICE to support OS/2.

Rich Walsh:
Back to the topic at hand...

I'm running PMMail v1.96a, so mine is even older than yours - and of course, it doesn't do authenticated SMTP either. Instead, I use Bob Eager's SMTP package (http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/mail.html) which provides an SMTP server and client. Basically, you have PMMail send mail to your local server which just puts it into a folder on your system. You then run the client program which fetches the email from that folder and does an authenticated send to your ISP's SMTP server. It's a bit roundabout but it works for me - plus it gives me a chance to reconsider whether I really want to send it out at all.

However, why bother? If your new ISP will accept mail that has a From address from a different domain, why not use them? Astonishingly few people check headers (or even know they exist), so virtually no one will notice that the sending domain doesn't match the From address.

xynixme:
</silence>Of course the whole VOICE-construction is illegal, even in the country of the foundation. Often old upgrade rights and a changed owner aren't that relevant, because it's easy to introduce a new main version or a new product name.

This type of koppelverkoop, tying, having to buy V because you want P, will be illegal in Netherland too. V's market share w.r.t. selling P is exactly 100%. That'll exceed the legal limit of 50%. P is not related to V. You cannot avoid having to buy V if you want P. There is no objective justification, and so on. What VOICE is doing is illegal, no matter what their goals are.<silence>

guzzi:

--- Quote from: André Heldoorn on October 12, 2017, 08:56:18 am ---</silence>Of course the whole VOICE-construction is illegal, even in the country of the foundation. Often old upgrade rights and a changed owner aren't that relevant, because it's easy to introduce a new main version or a new product name.

This type of koppelverkoop, tying, having to buy V because you want P, will be illegal in Netherland too. V's market share w.r.t. selling P is exactly 100%. That'll exceed the legal limit of 50%. P is not related to V. You cannot avoid having to buy V if you want P. There is no objective justification, and so on. What VOICE is doing is illegal, no matter what their goals are.<silence>

--- End quote ---

You are obvously not a lawyer. Koppelverkoop is not illegal. It is only not allowed if certain conditions are met. Furthermore, in order for something to be koppelverkoop, two products must be sold. VOICE does not sell PMMail. We are giving it for free to anyone who either sponsors VOICE for two consecutive years, or for those who sponsor with two standard sponsorunits. Sponsoring VOICE is not buying a product, so, in fact, no products at all are being sold.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: guzzi on October 11, 2017, 10:04:26 pm ---
--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on October 11, 2017, 07:10:22 pm ---

Paid? For what? You paid for version 2.x, which was owned by somebody else. VOICE bought the rights, so they have the right to charge a fee for their work on version 3.x. PMMail is actually a bonus for being a member of VOICE, nothing more. The proceeds are used to support OS/2, in many ways, and VOICE is a non profit organization that very much deserves support. BTW, ALL work done to PMMail is done by volunteers.

Please see http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php?title=PMMail_for_OS/2 for the details.

--- End quote ---

To clarify this, since VOICE is now a Dutch based 'stichting', it no longer has members, therefore PMMail is of course no longer exclusive for members. From the VOICE bylaws: "A PMMail/2 licence is free for those who have been at least two consecutive years a VOICE sponsor with one standard sponsor unit per year and for board members. Others can obtain a PMMail/2 licence by donating two standard sponsor units to VOICE."

As Doug mentioned, the income from sales of sponsorunits is mostly used for funding software development, some funds go to sponsoring Warpstock Europe. The board does NOT get any renumeration. In previous years, some board members got free admission to Warpstock, next year this will not be the case. We care about the platform and the users and dedicate all of the income of VOICE to promotion and support. The board pays for stamps when having to send snail mail out of their own pockets).

--- End quote ---

For anybody curious you can see the financial reports here:
http://www.os2voice.org/reports.html
The only overhead cost VOICE has is the cost of the bank account.  The board pays for all expenses and that is right any phone calls I make for OS/2 VOICE or letters I send I pay out of my own pocket.

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version