Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.1 on Dual Boot.  (Read 10477 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
ArcaOS 5.0.1 on Dual Boot.
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:27:39 pm »
Hi.

This weekend I was trying to install ArcaOS on a non UEFI, non GPT machine with Windows 10 preinstalled.

I think I'm getting the usual limitations of ArcaOS installation tools.
- "Disk 1 reports a corrupt partition table".
- "LVM Error ( 8 ) - Operation is not allowed" when I try to create the partition.

I read other forum post about it.  This is a non-destructive dual boot installation try to install ArcaOS, so I don't want to go forward with all the partition wiping.

I had tried the included tools like "Disk Utility" and "Resize Partition". "Disk Utility" does not report any issue and "Resize Partition" tell me "No Resizable Partitions Found"

These are my questions:

1) Is there another way to fix how ArcaOS see the partitions without Dfsee ?  (without wiping the hard drive)
2) If I use DfSee, what should I change?
3) In my opinion I consider this an ArcaOS limitation where there is space for improvement, since there is no "corrupt table" on the disk and since Windows is preinstalled  (sadly) on the machines it will be the most common OS to dual boot. Was there any discussion about this on the past ?

I attach some screenshots of the partition layout, so maybe someone can point out if I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying to create a partition on the first 10GB free space of the HDD.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:32:07 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

rdunkle

Re: ArcaOS 5.0.1 on Dual Boot.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:02:24 pm »
Why are you reluctant to wipe the hard drive?
Once Windows 10 has been installed, MS knows that hardware and will install again without a license key.  You can download the Win10 install with their bootable usb stick tool.
The monkeying with partitions, resizing and such is simply asking for trouble.

I encourage you to wipe the hard drive then follow this How-To:

http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_10_ArcaOS_Dual_Boot

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:50 pm »
- "LVM Error ( 8 ) - Operation is not allowed" when I try to create the partition.

Yes, completely normal.

1) Is there another way to fix how ArcaOS see the partitions without Dfsee ?  (without wiping the hard drive)

Well, first, the ArcaOS tools are extracted from DFSEE, but DFSEE is more informative. Did you READ the README, in the root of the DVD?

Warning: DO NOT use DFSEE, booted form any OS, other than OS/2, to try to adjust anything, or it will probably do it in the windows way, and OS/.2 won't like it.

I encourage you to wipe the hard drive then follow this How-To:

It depends, exactly, how the disk was created. With win 10, you probably got the layout for very large disks, using a geometry that OS/2 cannot use (even though the disk is only about 350 GB). If that is the case, you need to back up win 10 (the ONLY tool, that I know of, that does the backup/restore properly, is ACRONIS. If you have a Seagate disk drive, even in a USB enclosure, you can get the SEAGATE DISK WIZARD, for free. It is a cut down version of Acronis, and works well). Back up win 10, using the files and partitions option, then use the ArcaOS tool to wipe the disk, and partition it properly. Then, you can restore win 10 (don't forget to make the Acronis boot disk first), and proceed to install ArcaOS. Be sure that you do NOT restore the boot record, or you will end up where you started.

If the disk geometry is something that OS/2 understands, the ArcaOS tools should be able to make the adjustments.

If you are going to do a new install windows (linux etc.), be sure that windows (linux etc.) does not  partition the disk. Plan ahead, and use OS/2 (mini)LVM to make all of the partitions, or you will likely end up with windows type partitions, and OS/2 doesn't like that.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 03:59:18 pm »

Did you READ the README, in the root of the DVD?

Doug: I don't know why you wrote "READ" in uppercase. I didn't read it completely. It is an 38 pages readme and the license of use does not says you need to read and memorize the 38 pages readme before using ArcaOS.  Which chapter do you refer to?

...you probably got the layout for very large disks, using a geometry that OS/2 cannot use (even though the disk is only about 350 GB).
Does that layout has a name and description somewhere? By the way, the Windows disk tool says it is installed on MBR (non GPT)

General note:
Richard, Doug. On this time I wanted to do a dual boot install of ArcaOS with Windows 10 without destroying the Windows partition and reinstalling it.  Why? Because it is a nag to reinstall Windows , all the apps and all your files you have previously used on Windows 10 on that machine.  (time consuming)

I appreciate your suggestion about wiping all the Hard Drive, for the moment it seems to be the only solution. It means there is a limitation of OS/2 and ArcaOS to understand the geometry that Windows 10 uses when it prepared the HDD (Limitation that Linux does not seems to has by the way) (please remember this a  non-UEFI, non-GPT system). It even will be interesting for me to know which drivers, or utilities are the one that need to updated to understand different geometries.

If someone else have a different suggestion, and show me that my opinion is wrong, and that you can install a dual boot Windows 10 / Arca OS system without destroying the partitions and without reinstalling Windows 10 please let me know.

Richard, I will follow your great tutorial to wipe all the HDD and reinstall on dual boot, but I just want to be sure if there is another way to do it without reinstalling Windows.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:19:48 pm »
Hi Martin,

I have for the last 7 years been running triple boot with Windows + Linux and now ArcaOS before Ecomstation in the setup. The desktop a HP branded was preinstalled with Windows7, then upgraded when Windows 10 arrived. My harddrive is 750 GB.

I have looked at my old notes. What I did was using Easus partionmanager free version to resize Windows C-drive to the size I wanted. Windows builtin tools did not allow me to resize or disc tool in Ecom to the size I wanted. I deleted my Recovery Partition at the end of disc layout. Remember backup before starting.

Then I booted up into Minilvm or disc checker. I had some chs or partitontable issues, I can see from notes. I did use disc checker to fix the issues. Reboot when asked.
After reboot, I did boot into Windows and check if all was ok no errors. Then reboot into ArcaOS and see if you are clear to install. Let Minilvm make the partitions.

I use Paragon for backup for both Windows and Linux. Used for around 10 years now. No issues, they have a free version.

What was your disc layout before ? 

I have learned over the years the Windows/Linux sees disc layout not the sameway as Arcaos etc.

The install guide for Arcaos is handy see chapter 2.4 and 4 and 7.2 for more details.

Hope you can get the dualboot up and running

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:29:56 am »
Doug: I don't know why you wrote "READ" in uppercase. I didn't read it completely. It is an 38 pages readme and the license of use does not says you need to read and memorize the 38 pages readme before using ArcaOS.  Which chapter do you refer to?

Well, if you don't READ the whole thing, you might miss something important. there is an index, if you don't want to READ the whole thing.

I appreciate your suggestion about wiping all the Hard Drive, for the moment it seems to be the only solution. It means there is a limitation of OS/2 and ArcaOS to understand the geometry that Windows 10 uses when it prepared the HDD (Limitation that Linux does not seems to has by the way) (please remember this a  non-UEFI, non-GPT system). It even will be interesting for me to know which drivers, or utilities are the one that need to updated to understand different geometries.

It is the only solution. Microsoft seems to have found another way to mess up OS/2. Fortunately, we have people who figure out ways to work around the problems. Linux is a whole different story, they have an army of developers, and they have the source code to work with. We don't have either one.

I don't know all of the parts that need to change, I think that one of them is the kernel itself, if anybody can figure out what to change. There are other parts as well. LVM would probably be the most challenging, but all of the disk support stuff probably needs changes. Then of course, Microsoft has patents, and copyrights, that need to be sorted out, before anything can happen.

without destroying the partitions and without reinstalling Windows 10 please let me know.

You don't need to reinstall windows. You need to back it up , change the partitions, using OS/2, then restore it. The biggest problem with that, is to use a proper windows backup program, and they are hard to find.

If you have a machine that has a recovery partition, you may need to create the media to replace that, although using it would destroy what you did to make OS/2 work, so you may not want to put it back on the computer. You probably want to keep the recovery media, in case you want to restore the computer to factory condition.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:13:40 pm »
Hi

According to the comments, it seems that it is not possible to install ArcaOS with the disk layout made by a previously installation of Windows 10. So the only solution seems to be wiping the HDD, backing the Windows 10 partition seems to be a good workarround to don't reinstall Windows 10, but the Win10 disk layout limitation remains in ArcaOS-OS/2.

What I have notice is that I can not wipe the partition from the tools on "ArcaOS System Mainagement". LVM (mini or CMD) does not want to commit any change to the partitions with the error "Disk 1 reports a corrupt partition table" when I try to save the changes and does not commit any change on exit.

Is there any other tool on the ArcaOS CD that will help me to wipe a HDD with a Win10 disk layout? or I need to use some other tool from outside the ArcaOS CD?

(Link to the ArcaOS Documentation)

Regards
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:23:22 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 08:36:47 am »
Hi.

This weekend I was trying to install ArcaOS on a non UEFI, non GPT machine with Windows 10 preinstalled.

I read other forum post about it.  This is a non-destructive dual boot installation try to install ArcaOS, so I don't want to go forward with all the partition wiping.

I had tried the included tools like "Disk Utility" and "Resize Partition". "Disk Utility" does not report any issue and "Resize Partition" tell me "No Resizable Partitions Found"

Regards

Hi Martin,

- The easiest way is to add another disk in first position for ArcaOS, Win 10 boots fine in second position /w Airboot.

-  Or image (backup) your Win 10 partition, wipe the disk with DFsee, create all partitions with ArcaOS, restore Win 10.

- Or try resizing Easus partionmanager (did it with a Win7 box), fix with DFsee as Rene statement (backup for sure).

Greggory

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:21 pm »
Hi ,

I have just tried to make a dual boot with Windows 10 and ArcaOS on a laptop that normally runs Linux on it. The hardware were HP Elitebook 2560P with SSD 450 GB HDD.  Laptop was set to legacy MBR no secure boot or GPT disc layout.

Just to see if possible without to much hassle  :P

SSD drive were fully erased during Windows 10 install, with default install meaning Windows let choose disc layout with system partion and C-drive.

After around 1 hour, I have now a dual boot. Only few issues during install.  I have been using the ArcaOS install media to resize the Windows 10 partition that take up all disc space and to fix disc errors.

I did ran into partition table corrupt, but did let disc utility to fix that and rebooted. Used install media to boot up and did run disc utility again to see if more errors were found. None were found except no LVM info on disc. Let disc utility to fix that to and another reboot.

After reboot, I did let disc utlity to handle/resize the Windows 10 C-drive to around 300 GB. After that was done, checked log from resizing were there info that reboot was needed and did a boot into Windows to let it see the new partition size and can recommend make a disc check to see if issues found.  All was fine in my case.

I then did made a reboot to install ArcaOS. This time I was now able to make the freespace used for install of ArcaOS. installed Airboot for choosing between the OS.  After some minutes install was done.

I use my travel router to connect to my wifi. As the builtin wifi does not work. 

Best Regards

René