Author Topic: Thinkpads 25.th - OS/2 30.th Anniversary  (Read 12808 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Thinkpads 25.th - OS/2 30.th Anniversary
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:05:58 pm »
To celebrate these two Legendary efforts I prepare for something Special, stay tuned!  ;)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
Re: Thinkpads 25.th - OS/2 30.th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:59 pm »
It Begins to take shape...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-odrFnXNCNw

(No - there is no monetization with this...)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:29:36 pm »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 01:23:29 am »
Finally - it is uploaded!

Hope you enjoy 45 Minutes about OS/2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWdQdCYa-5E
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:26:06 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:09:05 am »
Finally - it is uploaded!

Hope you enjoy 45 Minutes about OS/2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWdQdCYa-5E

Great job Sigurd and thank you !

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 02:39:37 pm »
Sigurd

Great job.  Your modified system was awesome.  Great job putting the video together.  You made it look easy.

One thing I would liked to have seen and what you can put in your next presentation is what ArcaOS looks like today; OS/2 then and ArcaOS today. You showed the capabilities of the OS, but you did it showing old graphics.  You demonstrated that the ArcaOS is very backwards compatible to running DOS, Windows, old OS/2 programs.  My first impression was an old operating system running old programs.

What can ArcaOS do today?  You demonstrated that it is very backwards compatible to old programs, but what  other things can ArcaOS do today? 
1.  It is still being developed.
2.  It's WPS (GUI) has no equal among any other other operating system.
3.  Updating software has never been easier using RPM
4.  It is not the resource hog that Windows is.  The more programs you install in Windows, the slower it gets.
5.  It has the internet capabilities that all modern operating systems require.
6.  Its look is modern and can be easily changed to one's taste.
7.  Its JFS file system is one of the most versatile and stable file systems out there.
8.  Open office is available for ArcaOS. (ArcaOS needs to get that missing RPM package "libxsit" included with the next update to make installation problem free).
9.  For people who are tired of having their every keystroke monitored and what they are doing on their computers logged.  That don't like the idea that someone can secretly enter their system and record and listen to their chat using the computers web cam

Can you rename your video?  Call it OS/2 then.  The new one Call OS2/ArcaOS now.  Or OS/2 Past.  The new one "OS2/ArcaOS today.

ArcaOS should include links to the development tools needed for those that might want to try their hand at developing software.  This would appeal to any Linux folks that may want to try their hand at software development.

David
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:03:43 pm by David Graser »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:41 am »
Sigurd

Great job.  Your modified system was awesome.  Great job putting the video together.  You made it look easy.

One thing I would liked to have seen and what you can put in your next presentation is what ArcaOS looks like today; OS/2 then and ArcaOS today. You showed the capabilities of the OS, but you did it showing old graphics.  You demonstrated that the ArcaOS is very backwards compatible to running DOS, Windows, old OS/2 programs.  My first impression was an old operating system running old programs.

What can ArcaOS do today?  You demonstrated that it is very backwards compatible to old programs, but what  other things can ArcaOS do today? 
1.  It is still being developed.
2.  It's WPS (GUI) has no equal among any other other operating system.
3.  Updating software has never been easier using RPM
4.  It is not the resource hog that Windows is.  The more programs you install in Windows, the slower it gets.
5.  It has the internet capabilities that all modern operating systems require.
6.  Its look is modern and can be easily changed to one's taste.
7.  Its JFS file system is one of the most versatile and stable file systems out there.
8.  Open office is available for ArcaOS. (ArcaOS needs to get that missing RPM package "libxsit" included with the next update to make installation problem free).
9.  For people who are tired of having their every keystroke monitored and what they are doing on their computers logged.  That don't like the idea that someone can secretly enter their system and record and listen to their chat using the computers web cam

Can you rename your video?  Call it OS/2 then.  The new one Call OS2/ArcaOS now.  Or OS/2 Past.  The new one "OS2/ArcaOS today.

ArcaOS should include links to the development tools needed for those that might want to try their hand at developing software.  This would appeal to any Linux folks that may want to try their hand at software development.

David

Hi David,

thanks for your comment, but there may be some misunderstanding:

- what you have seen in the video is not ArcaOS, it is my tailored clone based on ACP2 + Warp 4
- the video is not about ArcaOS but OS/2
- I mentioned ArcaOS because it is the future of OS/2

As I wrote during the IIRC Chat last Saturday I "may(!)" produce some non verbal videos about ArcaOS as some kind of Short informations:
- what kind of hardware is needed
- installation
- what does it look like
- maybe: ArcaOS on Thinkpad 25  ;)

Therefore I ordered already ARcaOS 5.02. But I am not sure if I can find the time.

If - then I will write something about it here.

Some notes to some of your points:

3. Updating via RPM: as one can read in different threads this is something that is in progress, but today not really there (Applications like Firefox, OpenOffice etc. are missing)
4. Resource hog: when it comes to HDD/SSD space you are right, but when it comes to RAM....
5. Internet capabilities: I think this is to far, there are Internet capabilities, but these can not be compared to other Systems as there is to much missed

Sigurd

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 06:17:15 pm »
I did misunderstand.  Your video did what you intended and I do mean it, you made it look so easy doing this video although I know it required hours of work.  Thanks again.  Your modified system is amazing.  I did notice you mentioned some hardware drivers made for your system.  Are these not available?

David

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:16 pm »
I did misunderstand.
No Problem, do not worry  :)

Your video did what you intended and I do mean it, you made it look so easy doing this video although I know it required hours of work.
I am pretty happy that it seems to look easy, in fact it took me almost 5 months (October 2017 - February 2018) and about 200 hours of work. Postprocessing (Cutting, adding comment and Music) was the most Labor intensive work - something I really really underestimated.

I did notice you mentioned some hardware drivers made for your system.  Are these not available?
David
I have to thank you! All the Drivers I noticed (from i.e. Wim Brul, Lars Erdmann, Holger Veith etc.) are free available - except of one - the Kernel 14.112SMP (in fact I do have a 14.113.b right now). This one is given to me by the author only for testing purposes. I do hope, that as much as possible of his benefits will make it someday into the ArcaOS Kernel.

Sigurd
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:53:50 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:16 pm »
This one is given to me by the author only for testing purposes. I do hope, that as much as possible of his benefits will make it someday into the ArcaOS Kernel.
About Holger's great work and what I've heard: In the past, it was, at least mostly. I suppose that applies also to the recent ArcaOS version of it. The patches that Holger contributed were required for a stable SMP kernel.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 04:19:05 pm »
Excellent work, it has reminded me of my evolution
You just missed the OS2 warp conect, only.
 I have seen that you do things that I did not know could be done with this system, like writing on the screen.
Thank you
Saludos

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »
Excellent work, it has reminded me of my evolution
You just missed the OS2 warp conect, only.
 I have seen that you do things that I did not know could be done with this system, like writing on the screen.
Thank you
Saludos

Thank you!
But you may have missed something: OS/2 Warp Connect is in the first third of the film, where the part about the different OS/2 Versions is. It is as well shown in Action as it is installed on the ThinkPad 701.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:03:04 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »