Author Topic: XWP v1.0.12 Beta 1  (Read 32413 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: XWP v1.0.12 Beta 1
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 06:01:46 am »
Andreas

Thanks for the info.

I touched up 4 of my xwp logos.  Although not perfect, they are better.  I made the T_XWPlace.bmp a little smaller and named it T_XWPlace_6.bmp.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:12:50 am by David Graser »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 05:59:02 am »
What does it mean when I get a message like the one shown in the attachment? This is eCS 2.2 b2 with whatever eWorkplace that was.

Is this a known, fixed issue?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:22 am »
Just what it says, your ini files have corruption and have lost your desktops handle. I've had that happen on Warp 4 but never seen that dialog. You could follow the directions are restore your ini files from a backup. IIRC, I've also used checkini to fix it.
Actually, one possibility is that they've grown too big and need something like checkini ran against them.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 04:11:08 pm »
...Actually, one possibility is that they've grown too big and need something like checkini ran against them.

Whenever I see this issue my first option is to run checkini, if that fails, I restore my INI from backups.

Checkini will almost immediately tell you if it can fix the issue or not. The DESKTOP handle is one of the very first things it checks, if it can not find it nor determine what it should be, it basically stops, at which point in time you know the only other fix is the INI restore.

FYI, there may be other ways of dealing with this, but the above is what my process is, similarly to Dave's I believe.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 04:36:24 pm »
The DESKTOP handle is one of the very first things it checks, if it can not find it nor determine what it should be, it basically stops, at which point in time you know the only other fix is the INI restore.
Checkini tells you how to run with the option to set the desktop entry (IIRC /DC:\DESTOP, or for me /DM:Arbeitsoberfläche). This was sometimes useful to me in the past. But of course the inis got corrupted in some way or the other and maybe restoring it from a backup would be a better option in such cases.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 09:07:26 pm »
..Checkini tells you how to run with the option to set the desktop entry (IIRC /DC:\DESTOP, or for me /DM:Arbeitsoberfläche)...

Andi, great point, I completely forgot about this option since I rarely (if ever?) use it.

I look at the OS2 INI files as the proverbial Achilles Heel of OS/2. They are so touchy, break down so often, or maybe it is just that after years of adding to a base system, then removing stuff, then adding again too much stufff is crammed into a structure that never had the design architecture to permit the growth and/or changes I put it through.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:34 pm »
In a case like this, I'd add "SET DESKTOP=C:\DESKTOP" (or whatever) to config.sys, then reboot and run checkini rather than letting XWP try to fix it.

Note: the nature of the error message ("PrfQueryProfileSize failed on handles data block from OS2SYS.ini") suggests that os2sys.ini is hosed and that both INIs may need to be restored from backup. Nonetheless, try the simple fix(es) first.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:36 pm »

I'm pleased to announce the first beta for XWorkplace v1.0.12.

Beta 1 is available in five languages and two versions:
- "Full", the standard full-featured build
- "Lite", similar to eWorkplace and ArcaOS Desktop

Portions of this update have been underwritten by Arca Noae, LLC.

I have a problem and I am wondering if others have seen it.  When I have shadow icons selected, they show up in all the subfolders, but not on the desktop. 

David

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 08:56:36 pm »
When I have shadow icons selected, they show up in all the subfolders, but not on the desktop. 

Could you clarify the problem? I don't know what you mean by "When I have shadow icons selected". Are you referring to the option "Mark shadow icons"? If so, then it WFM everywhere.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 02:56:59 am »
When I have shadow icons selected, they show up in all the subfolders, but not on the desktop. 

Could you clarify the problem? I don't know what you mean by "When I have shadow icons selected". Are you referring to the option "Mark shadow icons"? If so, then it WFM everywhere.

Hi Rich

Yes , I have the option "Mark shadow Icons" selected.  I just figured out what the problem is and it is something you referred to in an earlier posting.  The problem only occurs in a folder where  Display > Dynamic is selected.  When unselected, the shadow icon appears on the shadow icons as it should.  There is no problem when display dynamic is not selected.  Problem solved. 

David

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 03:24:47 am »
I just created 3 more shadow icons for anyone interested in trying them. Just rename your old one in the Warp theme directory.  Change the name of the new one to shadow.ico.  Enable Warp icons in XWP setup and restart the desktop.

David
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:28:17 am by David Graser »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 05:05:18 am »
Hi.

Talking about icons I just modified this ones for the "System Setup" since I like to have them matching.  It seems that the trick is to have the icon on 40x40 and the 20x20 for the detail view.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 12:17:22 am »
Hi Martin

The icons look good.  I started a few myself years ago, but never finished.  Good job!

David