Author Topic: How do I ...?  (Read 6800 times)

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
How do I ...?
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:27:52 pm »
My SSD disk crashed totally and I had to buy a new one. All my OS's were on the old disk. After installing OS2.2 I hoped I would be able to access data on another disk. All volumes on that disk are visible, but now without drive letters. I have set new drive letters (the same as before) and they are now marked with an asterisk (*). According to the help file I should just save, exit and  reboot, and the chosen drive letters should be set.
Well, not so. After rebooting they are all gone. Then my question is: How do I proceed to get the drive letters set?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:31:15 pm by Einar Lygre »

ivan

• View Profile
Re: How do I ...?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:25:27 pm »
What exactly are you trying to do?

You say you have a new SSD disk and I assume it is installed in place of the old one.  If that is the case have you run chkdsk with /f on each volume of your data disk?

Have you used DFSee to look at your data disk to see if there are any problems?

Have you used the advanced LVM manager to set the volume drive letters?

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:24:55 am »
I have not run Chkdsk because the files are not visible without a drive letter. The files are visible in Maintenance and Installation    Volume Manager. Advanced LVM does not let me set drive letters. I will try DFSee, but I do not think there are any problems, since I had full access to all volumes before the crash of the old SSD.
At the moment I still have some problems before I can use DFSee, since the key is on a USB medium, and I first have to be able to access USB things.  Tomorrow maybe.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:32:28 am »
I am trying to visualise what you have but am finding it difficult.

Am I correct in thinking the SSD was your boot drive and you have replaced that and done a fresh install of OS/2 on it?

Am I also correct in thinking you have a second drive that has your data on it and this is the drive you are trying to save?

I don't understand what you are saying about USB.  If you have reinstalled OS/2 then reading USB MSDs should be available without problems.

If you are trying to restore anything from the old SSD and it had a catastrophic failure all I can advise you to do is download the manufacturers disk recovery tools and hope for the best.  Generally catastrophic failure of SSDs means you toss them into the scrap bin.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:05 pm »
Hi Ivan.
You have understood it. I thought I was relatively clear.
I have used OS2 for about 25 years and have then installed it many times. I have never seen it installed without problems - never! The "problem" now is that after installing eCS2.2 it does not recognize the memory pin with the key for DFSee, the same memory pin where I have the  Install key for eCS, which was excepted during installation.. Probably a minor problem, but at that time last night  I preferred to go to bed.
After having the system up and running as I hope, I will download the recovery tool, but first I have to set the drive letters. Thank you for your proposal.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 02:19:13 pm »
Sorry for asking all the questions but my 40 odd years of dealing with clients that have problems has made me look for very clear statements of the problem, what happened and what was done to the time they started asking questions.

In your case when you mentioned OS/2 2 my first thought was how did that work with an SSD drive - I've never had it on anything but a 486 and a very small hard disk.  I then realised you must mean eCS 2.x which I have never used.

Regarding recognition of USB MSD devices you may need to use the latest drivers from Lars that are on hobbes (usbdrv219.zip).  You should also check your config.sys to be sure there are the correct number and type of USB drivers and you have enough removables listed to cover what you expect to use (don't forget any built in card readers on the computer because they are classed as removables as far as OS/2 & eCS are concerned).

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 04:23:51 pm »
Einar, try using the text mode LVM to fix your drive letters. I had a partition stuck on * and had to use the text mode one to fix it.
Type lvm at a command prompt, hit enter until the partition table may be corrupt messages go away and use F5 to get a physical view.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:38 pm »
To Ivan.
Sorry for calling the OS  OS2.2. You are right, it should be eCS 2.2b.
As I said. USB was a minor problem. Selecting the right port (a good one) solved the problem.

By recreating the LVM tables and setting the drive letters I could access all volumes. I did this using DFSee,  but probably I could have done this using the right eCS commands also.

Now the problem is to try to fix the old SSD. The recovery programs for this only run under WIN. And Win was installed on the old SSD. I do not have good backups for Win as all data used in WIN was backed up to eCS. I have a job to do!

Thank you for your help.