Author Topic: Mount ISO as drive letter  (Read 7747 times)

RickCHodgin

Mount ISO as drive letter
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
Are there any OS/2 utilities that allow a .ISO file to be mounted as a drive letter?

Laurenz Sommer

• View Profile
Re: Mount ISO as drive letter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:04:25 pm »
ISOFS: http://home.clara.net/orac/os2.htm#isofs

But mounted ISOs do not appear as a CD-ROM drive but as a network drive.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:19:08 pm »
ISOFS: http://home.clara.net/orac/os2.htm#isofs

But mounted ISOs do not appear as a CD-ROM drive but as a network drive.

Thank you! :-)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:56:36 pm »
NetDrive does this as well, and if you want/need the other functionality it provides (such as mapping to local SAMBA & Win shares) I find it to be the more consistent and it does not require you to load an IFS.

Where the ISO IFS works pretty neat is that to access an ISO image you simply double-click on the file, that maps it to a drive. To disconnect you simply double-click again.

The one issue I found with the ISO IFS was that ZIP files that exist within the ISO could not be opened. Not sure why, could have been the older ZIP app I use, but did not have this problem with the NetDrive approach.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:00:45 pm »
FYI... ISOFS v1.04 is in its final beta-testing phase.

It fixes a bunch of bugs and offers a new control-panel type of app ('isodrive') to aid in mounting and unmounting ISOs. Unlike previous versions, you don't have to load ISOFS's daemon process from config.sys and have it running all the time - ISODrive will start it on demand.  v1.04 should be out in a week or two.

ak120

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:18:49 pm »
NetDrive does this as well, and if you want/need the other functionality it provides (such as mapping to local SAMBA & Win shares) I find it to be the more consistent and it does not require you to load an IFS.
Sorry I cannot follow at this point. NDFS32.IFS (the NetDrive for OS/2 Installable File System Driver) needs to be loaded and it's an IFS for sure.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:52 pm »
Sorry I cannot follow at this point. NDFS32.IFS (the NetDrive for OS/2 Installable File System Driver) needs to be loaded and it's an IFS for sure.

OK...good point, I should have spelled it out better, so let me clarify. For NetDrive to give you access to an ISO image a separate ISO IFS is not required. That is accomplished through a plug-in functionality.

However, NetDrive, the application itself, requires an IFS.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:44 pm »
This script: http://ru2.halfos.ru/guru/scripts/files/isomount.zip for NDPISO Netdrive plugin can be associated with .iso files in shells like FC/2, so that, when you tap Enter on an .iso image, it gets mounted. If you tap Enter the second time on the same file, it gets unmounted. You specify a root directory, say s:\iso and mounted .iso's appear as subdirectories under s:\iso. Multiple ISO's can be mounted at the same time. Very easy and convenient.

PS: A bit offtopic, but about mounting images too: For mounting FAT12/FAT16/FAT32/exFAT filesystem images, you can use fat32.ifs 0.10 r328. It includes a f32mount utility, which allows to mount images to a subdirectory on a FAT drive. You run it as "f32mount a:\path\to\file.img w:\tmp" and contents of file.img appear under w:\tmp directory. Also, except "raw" images, I added the code from QEMU emulator, which allows to mount the VM images, like .vmdk of VMWare, .vhd from VirtualPC, .qcow from QEMU, RAW images, etc. You can mount diskette images, as well as harddisk images, a partition number could be specified as "/p:N" too, and an optional offset before a partition table, with "/o:offset". Partition numbers can be primaries from the range 1..4 and logicals, from range 5..255. 5 is the 1st logical partition. Offsets can be decimals, as well as hexadecimals, beginning from "0x". So far, some problems still exist though, and the feature is still alpha-quality, but it is promising :)