OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Polls

Compatibility with OS/2

<< < (4/9) > >>

RickCHodgin:
I was thinking on the way in to work today...  I don't think I'll be able to maintain full binary compatibility with existing OS/2 software, UNLESS I am able to contact IBM and work out some kind of licensing agreement which allows me to use binary techniques to try to decompile and investigate the inner-workings of various aspects of their kernel, and some of the drivers.

Does anybody have a good working relationship with IBM?  I do not intend to make any money from ES/2, so it would have to be a willingness on IBM's part to donate the license to me so I could do that type of work legally.  But, apart from getting it written it wouldn't cost them anything.

If anybody has an idea in how to move forward, I would like to provide full binary compatibility with existing OS/2 apps in ES/2.  I want all of the code from back then to work in my new kernel, and to be able to then write replacement drivers one-by-one to enable all of the new features in a 64-bit environment, for example.

We can really do this well if we come together with our talents and work for a common goal.

ak120:

--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on November 20, 2017, 08:04:29 pm ---I was thinking on the way in to work today...  I don't think I'll be able to maintain full binary compatibility with existing OS/2 software, UNLESS I am able to contact IBM and work out some kind of licensing agreement which allows me to use binary techniques to try to decompile and investigate the inner-workings of various aspects of their kernel, and some of the drivers.
--- End quote ---
Why you're not reading the "The OS/2 Debugging Handbook". The four volumes should be available in BookMaster or portable document format if you don't want to order the printed edition.

I'm not a laywer so I cannot speech here about legal issues.

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: Andreas Kohl on November 20, 2017, 10:56:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on November 20, 2017, 08:04:29 pm ---I was thinking on the way in to work today...  I don't think I'll be able to maintain full binary compatibility with existing OS/2 software, UNLESS I am able to contact IBM and work out some kind of licensing agreement which allows me to use binary techniques to try to decompile and investigate the inner-workings of various aspects of their kernel, and some of the drivers.
--- End quote ---
Why you're not reading the "The OS/2 Debugging Handbook". The four volumes should be available in BookMaster or portable document format if you don't want to order the printed edition.
--- End quote ---

I didn't know they existed.

UPDATE:  Volume I, Volume II, Volume III, Volume IV.

--- Quote from: Andreas Kohl ---I'm not a laywer so I cannot speech here about legal issues.
--- End quote ---

I won't do anything illegal, but if there are legal sources and existing documentation or provisions that are part of standard releases by IBM or its authorized agents which give insight into things which can be known or reasonably inferred and then tested, I'm open to that.

I want to do the best job I can on this project.  And I want to encourage others to come and help me because they won't be helping me, but helping themselves and countless others.  I truly want to write an operating system that will give people a reason to leave Windows, leave Linux, leave Android products, leave Apple products.

My goals are ES/2 first (desktop OS/2 clone), but AS/2 second (ARM-based mobile OS).  I have a purpose and a plan and it is to give people back freedom, to give them power to move rightly, empowering them by the products they possess, rather than binding them up in spyware and things they don't want.

Freely available, fully open source code, no limitations on use or registration, and a solid design which comes from the best the Lord first gave me, with the help of others...  It is doable.  We just need to work together.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on November 20, 2017, 11:46:17 pm ---

--- End quote ---

Hi Rick.

Those books were always available for free download at the IBM redbooks site. I don't think that there is something illegal on using those books are references.

I even found on that is still online on the IBM site: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG244640.html

Regards

ak120:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on November 21, 2017, 11:39:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on November 20, 2017, 11:46:17 pm ---

--- End quote ---
Those books were always available for free download at the IBM redbooks site.
--- End quote ---
Unfortunately the words "always" and "free" made the above statement wrong or at least inaccurate. You couldn't download any of the earlier mentioned files at all 20 years ago - a verifiable fact.

--- Quote ---I don't think that there is something illegal on using those books are references.
--- End quote ---
Of course there's nothing illegal. But their content cannot serve as a reference (for what?). They deal with practical topics based on OS/2 Warp 3 - workbooks or training guides would fit better - and handbook is the right term used by ITSO. To cover later system or kernel enhancements it's quite easy to follow publications that refer to these books by using your BookManager READ/2 program's search function.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version