OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Polls

Compatibility with OS/2

<< < (6/9) > >>

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on November 22, 2017, 12:21:35 pm ---Hi Rick.

I'm sorry but I only have found the process to republish publications (print or electronic publications) under permission. I haven't found a way to request IBM permission to release binaries or source code. Also, if the document says in some part "IBM Internal" or "Confidential"  they would give permission.

--- End quote ---

Okay.  If I don't hear from anybody else who's able to help me, I will try to contact someone at IBM directly.  Maybe David Barnes would know someone and be interested in helping his old OS get some new life. :-)

ak120:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on November 22, 2017, 02:35:55 am ---Andreas, please cool off.
--- End quote ---
No problem it was snowing in Masovia ;-)

--- Quote ---You are right but if you are going to question every little thing on the forum people are going to start to ignore you, and this is not the USENET. You are not forced to reply every post, there is no prize for being the one that post the most on the forums.
--- End quote ---
You are here the moderator. But I don't realise why you have to invent such things. But now real content for post number 181 (round about a milliard):

If you have installed the latest "IBM Developer's Toolkit for OS/2 Warp Version 4" there's a online book "Kernel Debugger Reference" that can serve as reference. Warp 4 and derived products should further contain a file README.DBG to indicate the location of the debug kernels on the media.

RickCHodgin:
Please add your vote to the poll.  I want an accurate view of the OS/2 community's thinking.

Suppose IBM came out with a new OS/2 ... how important would all of the legacy 16-bit support be in OS/2 Warp Version 5?  Support for old (1980s) hardware?

How important would full compatibility be in the year 2018 or later?

warpsalad:
I think just making a Linux distribution that mimics OS/2-like functionality in its graphical interface would be more ideal (and maybe a compatibility layer to run 32-bit OS/2 applications could be added in). Otherwise you're perpetually dealing with licensing problems, old closed source code and the inability to easily harness new hardware.

You could call it 'Warp/ix' and then be done with it.

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: Devon on December 03, 2017, 11:13:55 pm ---I think just making a Linux distribution that mimics OS/2-like functionality...
--- End quote ---

I have not worked with Linux or GNU for matters of conscience.  When I look at Linux I see Linus Torvalds, who is by all accounts a vile, crass, mean, spiteful, insulting, profane individual who thinks nothing of giving people the finger on camera, or using all manner of profane words to yell at people online.  And when I look at GNU I see Richard Stallman, who is by all accounts, a complete pervert who believes that pedophilia and necrophilia should be legalized, among many other odd things.

I had planned in 2012 to go to GNU and complete the GNU HURD kernel for them, but then I learned those things about Stallman.  I had already decided not to work on Linux, which is why I was moving toward the HURD kernel.

I'm sorry, but I cannot support Linux or GNU for those reasons.  It's why I'm creating everything from scratch.  I want to have an offering based on holiness, on a real giving unto God purposefully, and not just creation for the sake of creation, and not for money, not for fame, but to honestly give the world something wonderful they can use, and without the negative aspects of mankind associated with existing offerings apart from forgiveness and repentance through Christ.

My intention with ES/2 is to give people the best we can create, and to do so to empower them.  Full source code.  Full legal rights.  Full everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version