OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Polls

Compatibility with OS/2

<< < (7/9) > >>

Sergey Posokhov:

--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on November 22, 2017, 03:24:58 pm ---Okay.  If I don't hear from anybody else who's able to help me, I will try to contact someone at IBM directly.

--- End quote ---
There are no employees in IBM who remember the 90s.
According to a report by Russian-speaking IBM employee from the forum sql.ru, "IBM today is a conglomerate of companies acquired in Silicon Valley and all around the globe".
So it's better to buy the latest OS version from Arca Noae and concentrate one's efforts on free software.
And, of course, they will not sell nor open anything to a random person (including you and me).

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: Sergey Posokhov on December 10, 2017, 08:56:19 pm ---There are no employees in IBM who remember the 90s.
According to a report by Russian-speaking IBM employee from the forum sql.ru, "IBM today is a conglomerate of companies acquired in Silicon Valley and all around the globe".
So it's better to buy the latest OS version from Arca Noae and concentrate one's efforts on free software.
And, of course, they will not sell nor open anything to a random person (including you and me).

--- End quote ---

I hope people, who WERE employees in the 90s, will come forward from wherever they are now, and help continue development.  Some may have retired, and are looking for things to do. :-)

Sergey Posokhov:

--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on December 10, 2017, 10:34:31 pm ---I hope people, who WERE employees in the 90s, will come forward from wherever they are now

--- End quote ---
Some of them are connected with Arca Noae.

When I discovered a bug in Panorama we are (with Alex G who's working on OS4 kernel) contacted Lewis Rosenthal, and he asked one of ex-IBM employees about possible effects of the bug (it was annoying bug with boot time crashes in OS4 and colored snow on the screen in eCS 2.x). Then someone (who? I don't know) fixed it.

Both ArcaOS and OS4 kernels works fine. Everything fine, after all. I would like to see both kernels in one installation. But, of course, nobody will deliver them or fix old software for free.

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: Sergey Posokhov on December 11, 2017, 03:48:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on December 10, 2017, 10:34:31 pm ---I hope people, who WERE employees in the 90s, will come forward from wherever they are now

--- End quote ---
Some of them are connected with Arca Noae.
--- End quote ---

Interesting.  It is my hope some of them will come over, but I don't hold my breath.  Most people are offended by the fact that this is a project given over to God first, and then to people, and not being done for money.  I have a history of offering up good solutions to people only to have them rejected solely on that basis.  As such, I am accustomed to it.

--- Quote from: Sergey Posokhov on December 11, 2017, 03:48:30 pm ---When I discovered a bug in Panorama we are (with Alex G who's working on OS4 kernel) contacted Lewis Rosenthal, and he asked one of ex-IBM employees about possible effects of the bug (it was annoying bug with boot time crashes in OS4 and colored snow on the screen in eCS 2.x). Then someone (who? I don't know) fixed it.

Both ArcaOS and OS4 kernels works fine. Everything fine, after all. I would like to see both kernels in one installation. But, of course, nobody will deliver them or fix old software for free.

--- End quote ---

I would like others to come work on ES/2 once the kernel is sufficiently developed.  By having this kernel be from-scratch with our own tools to create and debug new code, and being wholly un-encumbered with any of man's legal licenses, it really empowers people to move forward with a great toolset and a great platform.  My goal is I would like to see ES/2 replace Windows, Linux, and Apple's OS.  I also plan (James 4:15) to create a portable ES/2 version for ARM-based devices, called AS/2.

I want to get ES/2 completed, write a few other apps, and then turn my attention toward replacing all of OS/2 and making a truly native ES/2 distribution that isn't just the kernel, but is a whole new OS.  I do not want to do this coding alone, but it has to start somewhere.  I also have goals in creating hardware which I would really like to address.  I would author equally open-source tools for that project as well, and do it in ES/2.

BigGoofyGuy:
After IBM had won that lawsuit against Microsoft for stopping OS/2 Warp from being pre-installed on computers, I had hoped they would continue developing their operating system to compete with Windows. Alas, they did not. I am glad there was eComStation and now Arca Noae to continue.

It would be neat if there was some backward compatibility but I don't see it as being critical.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version