OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Polls

Compatibility with OS/2

<< < (9/9)

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Rick.

What I had understood with time is that the OS/2 community not only want to preserve the "OS/2 experience" (how the GUI looks and works) but also want to run the set of old apps they are used to. If you ask people will answer you "I was a 100% compatibility clone with all the OS/2 apps running, DOS and WIN16 support, like OS/2 was meant to be". And that is just too much of a work for one man.

Even that people will request something elegant, state of the art and perfect as first release, I'm against that approach. I will suggest you to focus on some little accomplishment on the OS/2 compatibility area (even if it is not perfect or complete) and grow your project from there. Show the community something that may be interesting and that has the potential to be improved.

I'm sorry I can not complete understand kernel development or how close or far are you to the goal, but once I see something that boots and can run a simple OS/2 command text binary I will think about it and provide more feedback.

My ideas are limited by my lack of knowledge on this area, but if you are starting with a kernel development my only idea is to create a kernel that will trick the rest of OS/2 binaries and components (CPI, PM, SOM, WPS) that they are running on the original OS/2 kernel. Even that we know that we may not get full driver compatibility, but the "main kernel drivers" (or the drivers required to run the basic components, like CPI and PM) should be cloned and adapted.

Regards

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on December 18, 2017, 02:32:53 pm ---...if you are starting with a kernel development my only idea is to create a kernel that will trick the rest of OS/2 binaries and components (CPI, PM, SOM, WPS) that they are running on the original OS/2 kernel. Even that we know that we may not get full driver compatibility, but the "main kernel drivers" (or the drivers required to run the basic components, like CPI and PM) should be cloned and adapted.

--- End quote ---

My goals are to be 100% compatible.  If something runs on OS2KRNL today, it should run on ES2KRNL with zero change.

Beyond that, I want to migrate things forward.  You can see that position here (and here).

I have never expected to do this project alone, but all large projects have to start somewhere.  This is where ES/2 is starting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version