OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

New laptop for Arca os

(1/3) > >>

warp:
In the near future, I would like to purchase a new laptop as a replacement of my old Asus L3000 D.
Probably I will install Linux and Arca OS.

The main obstacles for Arca OS could be:

Uefi Bios
No Usb 3.0 driver
Sound driver
Wifi

I red in the forum, that some laptops can emulate the normal Bios via Uefi and the Usb 3.0 interfaces, could be downgraded to 2.0.
Thank you.

warp:
How is it possible to know, if the Usb 3.0 port can emulate the Usb 2.0? And the Uefi bios, can it switched into the normal Bios?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Pete:
Hi

Read the specs  and if they do not include the information contact the manufacturer and ask.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I personally think that it may be easier to find Laptops with UEFI Legacy support, but it maybe be harder to get ones with USB 3 that can be downgraded (Legacy mode) to 2.0.

It is not common for manufacturer to publish that can kind of details. Maybe it can be interesting to try some manufacturer forums or send one of that question on Amazon that some other customers of the laptop can also reply.

Regards

warp:
Does the Qsinit loader solve the problem with the Uefi Bios?

My target is a laptop with the new AMD Ryzen processors.

I will do a research on Amazon. Thank you.

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on November 14, 2017, 04:04:51 am ---Hi

I personally think that it may be easier to find Laptops with UEFI Legacy support, but it maybe be harder to get ones with USB 3 that can be downgraded (Legacy mode) to 2.0.

It is not common for manufacturer to publish that can kind of details. Maybe it can be interesting to try some manufacturer forums or send one of that question on Amazon that some other customers of the laptop can also reply.

Regards

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version