Author Topic: New laptop for Arca os  (Read 11377 times)

warp

New laptop for Arca os
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:29:35 pm »
In the near future, I would like to purchase a new laptop as a replacement of my old Asus L3000 D.
Probably I will install Linux and Arca OS.

The main obstacles for Arca OS could be:

Uefi Bios
No Usb 3.0 driver
Sound driver
Wifi

I red in the forum, that some laptops can emulate the normal Bios via Uefi and the Usb 3.0 interfaces, could be downgraded to 2.0.
Thank you.

warp

Re: New laptop for Arca os
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:23:34 pm »
How is it possible to know, if the Usb 3.0 port can emulate the Usb 2.0? And the Uefi bios, can it switched into the normal Bios?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:21:52 pm »
Hi

Read the specs  and if they do not include the information contact the manufacturer and ask.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:51 am »
Hi

I personally think that it may be easier to find Laptops with UEFI Legacy support, but it maybe be harder to get ones with USB 3 that can be downgraded (Legacy mode) to 2.0.

It is not common for manufacturer to publish that can kind of details. Maybe it can be interesting to try some manufacturer forums or send one of that question on Amazon that some other customers of the laptop can also reply.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

warp

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:16 pm »
Does the Qsinit loader solve the problem with the Uefi Bios?

My target is a laptop with the new AMD Ryzen processors.

I will do a research on Amazon. Thank you.

Hi

I personally think that it may be easier to find Laptops with UEFI Legacy support, but it maybe be harder to get ones with USB 3 that can be downgraded (Legacy mode) to 2.0.

It is not common for manufacturer to publish that can kind of details. Maybe it can be interesting to try some manufacturer forums or send one of that question on Amazon that some other customers of the laptop can also reply.

Regards

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:45:11 pm »
Are you thinking of the A12 soc processors or a full Ryzen and separate gpu?

Although the Ryzen and A12 specs haver 4 usb 3 ports on the processor the supporting chipsets allow up to 6 usb 2 ports with varying numbers of usb 3 and 3.1 ports.

So far I have been unable to use any of the usb 3 ports - fore some reason there doesn't appear to be any backward compatibility built in.  The usb 2 ports work without any problems.

Although I don't have a notebook with any of those processors I have several mini-ITX mother boards with AM4 processors (mainly A12 but I did build a system with a Ryzen 5 1600).  The Gigabyte board with the Ryzen 5 will not fully install ArcaOS even with the Uefi set to legacy mode but this is a board that is designed specifically for win 10 - you have to jump through hoops to install win 7.  The other boards work if you are careful with the Uefi settings and make sure that legacy is set for most things and make sure the ahci implementation will work whith the os2ahci.add driver (asmedia ahci will not).

You also need to remember that the laptop manufacturers are most likely to use usb3 rather than usb 2 (external usb2 devices work on usb 3 but the operating system must have the drivers).

A google search might give you more information than looking on Amazon.

Good luck.

warp

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:55:14 am »
I would like to purchase a laptop with Ryzen processor and Gpu, like these: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/amd-ryzen-mobile-laptops-vega-performance-price-release-date-2949002

Are you thinking of the A12 soc processors or a full Ryzen and separate gpu?

Although the Ryzen and A12 specs haver 4 usb 3 ports on the processor the supporting chipsets allow up to 6 usb 2 ports with varying numbers of usb 3 and 3.1 ports.

So far I have been unable to use any of the usb 3 ports - fore some reason there doesn't appear to be any backward compatibility built in.  The usb 2 ports work without any problems.

Although I don't have a notebook with any of those processors I have several mini-ITX mother boards with AM4 processors (mainly A12 but I did build a system with a Ryzen 5 1600).  The Gigabyte board with the Ryzen 5 will not fully install ArcaOS even with the Uefi set to legacy mode but this is a board that is designed specifically for win 10 - you have to jump through hoops to install win 7.  The other boards work if you are careful with the Uefi settings and make sure that legacy is set for most things and make sure the ahci implementation will work whith the os2ahci.add driver (asmedia ahci will not).

You also need to remember that the laptop manufacturers are most likely to use usb3 rather than usb 2 (external usb2 devices work on usb 3 but the operating system must have the drivers).

A google search might give you more information than looking on Amazon.

Good luck.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 12:09:02 pm »
They look nice but non of them appear to be a real product at the moment.

The reviews appear to be based on pre production models that were shown at trade shows, they also appear to be aimed at win 10 as the operating system which does not bode well for getting any form of OS/2 on them (a good way to check that possibility is to see if thay have Linux drivers available).

By the middle of next year there might be something available in which case I would be looking to replace my ancient Acer Aspire 9300 (17" screen).

warp

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »
I can wait a few more months for the new laptops.
I am also impatient for the new version of Arca OS, the one which boots from Usb.

They look nice but non of them appear to be a real product at the moment.

The reviews appear to be based on pre production models that were shown at trade shows, they also appear to be aimed at win 10 as the operating system which does not bode well for getting any form of OS/2 on them (a good way to check that possibility is to see if thay have Linux drivers available).

By the middle of next year there might be something available in which case I would be looking to replace my ancient Acer Aspire 9300 (17" screen).

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:42:49 am »
I can wait a few more months for the new laptops.
I am also impatient for the new version of Arca OS, the one which boots from USB

I think that would be great since it seems optical drives are on the way out and it is not easy finding a computer that still has one.

I was able to install ArcaOS on a laptop using an USB optical drive. It has wifi but does not see it. I have a printer and will see if it works with it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:26:48 am by BigGoofyGuy »
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 04:10:36 pm »
I was able to connect to the internet and OS/2 World by using a network cable directly to my cable modem. Now I can surf the internet and download files directly to my computer.

My computer is an Acer Aspire One. The CPU is an Intel Atom N455, 166 ghz andd 512 KB cache. The memory is 1 gigabyte DDR3. The battery is a 6-cell Li-On. Storage is 250 gigabyte HDD. It has a 10.1 LED LCD. It indicates multi-gesture for the touch pad. It has 'signal up' but I don't know what that is. It is wifi certified.

I am looking for the file I created before with system information. I will try to post it here. I want to use the wifi but a direct connection to the cable box works for now.
 8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 04:22:08 pm »
I tried copy and past the pci text file but it was too big. I am trying to attach it.
BigGoofyGuy

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 07:04:16 pm »
The WiFi is an 8086:0083 device. There is a driver at: ftp://genmac@ftp.os2voice.org/ in the INTEL package (use the word "unsupported" (lower case, and no quotes, if it asks). It should work, unless that machine has something special about it (many newer machines will not turn on the radio) without the help of a program that we do not have.

Be sure to READ the instructions.