Author Topic: Spell check in EPM on ArcaOS  (Read 8819 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Spell check in EPM on ArcaOS
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:37:28 pm »
I assume it is just me but when I went to spell check a document in EPM the proof/spell check section of the 'Options' drop down menu were missing as were the 'Dictionary file' and 'Personal dictionary' entries in the 'Paths' section of the settings notebook - very strange since they are in EPM on all my pre ArcaOS machines.

After a bit of investigation I found that my installing IBMWORKS way back in the early Warp 4 days gave me OSLEXAM.DLL in \os2\dll and UK.DIC and USER.DIC in \os2.  These are required for EPM to do proofing and spell checking (the UK.DIC is country specific and I assume there is a US.DIC as well as the other countries supported by IBMWORKS).

I don't know if there is supposed to be the OSLEXAM.DLL (or its equivalent) installed in ArcaOS or not, it wasn't on my install but I now have proofing and spell checking back on EPM.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Spell check in EPM on ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:05:17 pm »
There is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/editors/epm/epm_spel.zip and a bunch of dictionaries here, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/editors/epm/epm_dicts.zip for those who can't find their IBM Works.
IIRC, these have to be installed in c:\os2 and c:\os2\dll.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:09:12 pm »
oslexam.dll (from IBM Works) is still available on Petr Mikulík's page: http://www.sci.muni.cz/~mikulik/os2/zdroje/oslexam.dll. Dont use lexam.dll from epm_spel.zip. It's outdated (package is from 1992) and not made for EPM 6.03b.

The most recent dictionaries come from Netscape 4.6.1. Note that they have the extension .dic (not the older one, .dct). Just a few months before IBM closed the download page, I had downloaded them all. (Quite recent ones were also available on the LEO archive, but the OS/2 part is down.)

Not that not all dicts work. E.g. I remember that the turkish dict traps EPM. The UK dict should work. Some features may not work like proposing alternative words. This disadvantage applies for deutsch2 (after the German spelling reform), but not for the older deutsch.dic.

I planned to upload the dictionaries to Hobbes, at least shortly before the first beta of NEPMD 2.00 will be made available. (For a recent version just compile the recent NEPMD sources, IBMCPP 3.08 or CSet/2 is required, or send a private mail to me: forename.lastname at web.de) It contains oslexam.dll and has code to switch dictionaries since a quite long time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:02:52 am by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:06 pm »
I wrote the former from memory. My Netscape dicts were downloaded from LEO in 1999, what is new, if not the newest. I found also the original IBM link that is dead. Another source for dicts is XYWrite: http://www.xywrite.com/dics/index.htm. The .dic files may work, but I haven't tested them, since the ones from LEO were newer, when I had found that page years ago. Comparing the file list on the linked page with the older files, I see that there exist more languages now. As other newer .dic files lead to non-functioning features or even app traps, I doubt that you will have success with them.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 01:25:11 am »
I also have all the dic files from IBM Works tucked away in my archives.

The uk.dic and francais.dic do give alternatives when necessary.

ak120

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 02:02:06 pm »
oslexam.dll (from IBM Works) is still available on Petr Mikulík's page: http://www.sci.muni.cz/~mikulik/os2/zdroje/oslexam.dll. Dont use lexam.dll from epm_spel.zip. It's outdated (package is from 1992) and not made for EPM 6.03b.
... unless you're using OS/2 1.3. But otherwise it will work with older dictionaries.

The most recent dictionaries come from Netscape 4.6.1. Note that they have the extension .dic (not the older one, .dct). Just a few months before IBM closed the download page, I had downloaded them all. (Quite recent ones were also available on the LEO archive, but the OS/2 part is down.)
I'm note sure at this point. I would at least check for each specific language against the dictionaries that can be obtained via TM/2 and its fixes (ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/translationmanager/fixes/). I don't believe that even OpenTM has more recent stuff somewhere. But it could be still interchangeable.

Not that not all dicts work. E.g. I remember that the turkish dict traps EPM. The UK dict should work. Some features may not work like proposing alternative words. This disadvantage applies for deutsch2 (after the German spelling reform), but not for the older deutsch.dic.
It sounds like the thesaurus issues with some dictionary files from Netscape Communicator.

I planned to upload the dictionaries to Hobbes, at least shortly before the first beta of NEPMD 2.00 will be made available. (For a recent version just compile the recent NEPMD sources, IBMCPP 3.08 or CSet/2 is required, or send a private mail to me: forename.lastname at web.de) It contains oslexam.dll and has code to switch dictionaries since a quite long time.
Which toolkit version is required?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:49:03 pm by Andreas Kohl »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:33:55 pm »
I would at least check for each specific language against the dictionaries that can be obtained via TM/2 and its fixes (ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/translationmanager/fixes/). I don't believe that even OpenTM has more recent stuff somewhere. But it could be still interchangeable.
Thanks, really interesting, I'll check that. (The TM/2 files I know about were outdated.)

Which toolkit version is required?
Any toolkit >= toolkit 4.0.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:01 pm »
I use word statistics script and a common spell checker in Mozilla.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 11:50:30 pm »
I use word statistics script and a common spell checker in Mozilla.
... and how about the API DLL for EPM?

xynixme

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 01:24:18 am »
I don't know if there is supposed to be the OSLEXAM.DLL (or its equivalent) installed in ArcaOS or not

</silence>
Not? I do have a copy of OSLEXAM.DLL too, but not in any eCS 1.2 OS directory. As such it has nothing to do with an OS, EPM is not the editor of e.g. an embedded e-mail client with spell checking, and AN may not want to support all outdated dictionary languages of IBM.

In theory bells and whistles, this ain't a bad one, are candidates for an optional AOS DVD #2. An OS isn't a collection of software, and a default collection of unrelated software can demote competition. Hence the former website BrowserChoice.eu, to make clear that Internet Exploder wasn't the only available webbrowser for Window$. AFAIK there's more than one dictionary solution for OS/2, and IBM Works wasn't installed by default too. IIRC IBM Works was an OS/2 Warp 4 Bonus Pak CD #2 item too.
<silence>

ak120

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:43:18 am »
(The TM/2 files I know about were outdated.)
They may have more real (untouched) dates.