Author Topic: SATA AHCI weirdness  (Read 19065 times)

Floyd

SATA AHCI weirdness
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:46:00 pm »
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out.

Let's start at the beginning. I have been trying to install Warp 4 on my primary desktop computer, I can give more detailed hardware info if you need it. It doesn't have a floppy drive so I installed a really basic version of OS/2 in Virtual PC and then wrote the virtual hard drive image to the physical disk. I added the latest versions of DaniATAPI.flt, and DaniS506.add to the system as well as OS2AHCI.add (not the latest version) before I transferred the image
OS/2 boots up to a point OS2AHCI correctly recognizes the Intel ich7 chipset but then DaniATAPI won't load and it gives the "OS/2 cannot operate your hard disk" error.
I did this with and without Fixpack 15 applied before the transfer and got the same results, the one time I did get it to work was from a FAT partition instead of HPFS, but it corrupted the desktop as soon as it was shut down.

I have done all I know to do, I don't really have the money to spend on a copy of eCS right now, though the Live CD does work great. I stared this just for something to do, but now I am determined to get it to work. I realize that it could be a problem with the image transfer, and if that is it, I guess I'm done, unless it is possible to make a custom boot CD.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:49:47 pm by Floyd »

Andy Willis

• View Profile
Re: SATA AHCI weirdness
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:21:14 am »
Depending on how old your copy of os2ahci is, it may be prior to some issues that were resolved relatively recently.  You may be able to remove the os2ahci driver and let danis506 run the drive (you may or may not need to turn the SATA legacy mode on in the BIOS if available).

Floyd

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:20:36 am »
os2ahci is version 0.1.4 (the one from hobbes). I have tried setting the BIOS to both SATA and IDE mode, with and without os2ahci loaded, I even tried SCSI mode once, to no avail. Danis506 does not seem to recognize the drive no matter what I do, but daniatapi.flt will not load at all. all my hardware *should* be compatible, and like I said, it worked one time from a fat16 partition. I may try that again and see what it does.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 01:46:51 am »
Hi Floyd

I think more detailed hardware info may help others to come up with possible solutions.

I'm tending to suspect that you may have a mainboard that requires ACPI support.

Regards

Pete

Floyd

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:10:02 am »
Here is some more hardware info:
Motherboard- Intel BOXDH77KC LGA 1155 It does support ACPI.
CPU- Intel i3-2120 3.30Ghz
8gb of RAM
Intel 7 Series/C216 chipset family SATA AHCI controller

I'm just using the on-board video and sound for now, I doubt that would stop it from booting.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:03:00 am »
os2ahci is version 0.1.4 (the one from hobbes).

I tried that one, when it was first released. The results were not good, as I recall. I think the only possibility would be to try the /r parameter with it. If that won't work, you probably need the one that comes with eComStation (now at version 1.29, which is very much newer than version 1.4 that is at HOBBES).

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 07:45:48 am »
At least 1.27 must be used, I think...
Earlier versions perform many things in ugly way ;) Disk geometry for large drives was incompatible with danis (compatible handling was added in 1.27 - in THIS year, after two or three years of development)...
Earlier versions makes damage in GDT (OS/4 kernel can panic on this in a boot time), and so on ...

Floyd

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:31:15 pm »
I think the only possibility would be to try the /r parameter with it. If that won't work, you probably need the one that comes with eComStation (now at version 1.29, which is very much newer than version 1.4 that is at HOBBES).
I tried /r, it didn't help. This is kind of what I thought would be the problem, I guess I will just have to save up some money and buy the new ecomstation when it finally comes out.  thanks for the help, everyone.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »

Floyd

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:17:37 am »
You could try 1.25: http://svn.ecomstation.nl/ahci/attachment/ticket/13/os2ahci-1.25.zip

different cat, same result.

os2ahci recognizes my hardware, danis506 loads but doesn't do anything else, and os2acapi does not do anything at all.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:46:47 pm by Floyd »

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:44:47 am »
according to http://svn.netlabs.org/xata/changeset/92 you need danis 1.8.9 or better to have ahci and danis working together.
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Floyd

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »
according to http://svn.netlabs.org/xata/changeset/92 you need danis 1.8.9 or better to have ahci and danis working together.
I couldn't find a download of that anywhere, but I did try version 1.8.15 from the eCS Live CD and in AHCI mode it was the same old stuff,  but then with the BIOS in IDE mode...

well, at least it found the disks this time.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:46 am »
if you don't want to buy a upgrade from warp4 to ecs you need to compare all drivers from the live cd to the on's you use with warp4. as you said that the live cd works.
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 04:49:26 pm »
Try one more thing... do not use the ahci driver but leave it in ahci mode and see if danis506 can handle it. 

Floyd

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 07:18:27 pm »
I went over everything again and updated it all to the eCS 2.2 Live CD drivers, here's what it's doing now.

in AHCI mode, OS2AHCI and Danis506 seem to work fine, but then it hangs on whatever driver loads immediately after Danis506 (first it was DaniATAPI, I removed that and then it was OS2DASD.DMD) with no error message. I let it sit for 10 minutes before I hit reset to be sure.

in AHCI mode without OS2AHCI it can't operate disk drive.

In IDE mode it boots fully to the desktop and everything seems to work fine (well, no mouse, but I have not installed a USB mouse driver yet). If I try to shut down or restart with ctrl-alt-delete it hangs and I have to hit reset, then it doesn't get any further than chkdsk on the next boot.

I can live in IDE mode if I have to, if anyone has any ideas about why it hangs at shutdown.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:07:25 pm by Floyd »